HTC Thunderbolt Gets First One-Click EasyRoot + S-OFF from XDA

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc_tbolt_easyroot.png

A developer named dbzfanatic over at XDA has put together the first one-click easyroot + S-OFF for the HTC TBolt. Here's his description:
This is my easy-rooter for the Thunderbolt. I do not personally have a thunderbolt but I have tested it and fixed as many problems as I could. As far as I'm aware this will only work with firmware versions lower than version 1.12.605.9.
If adb does not see your device try installing the htc sync drivers. If that doesn't wok install PDA.net. If it still does not register please post here.

THIS IS A WINDOWS-ONLY PROGRAM. You must have windows or a windows VM to use this.

As always there is a small chance of bricking your phone.

DISCLAIMER: AndIRC is not affiliated with this program and by using it you agree that neither AndIRc nor myself is responsible for any damages caused by this program.

This provides all necessary files and gives you in-program instructions.
This looks very slick, although keep his disclaimer in mind when trying this out. After any of you guys try this out, let us know in the forums how smoothly the process went. Of course, below is the link to the XDA thread to get more info, and the download links.

Source: AndroidPolice via XDA Developers

EntropikOne

Reaction score
I first tried this method but ran into some ADB issues. Not with the application itself but with windows...I got impatient and just rooted manually via my linux box. Really slick application though!

champaned_out

Reaction score
use this guys easy root and everything went smoothly... took about 20min total but did not run into any problems... very easy to use

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used this a few days ago before he released it (i.e. tested it for him) and it worked great. Some minor issues with bad pushes but it will not proceed after such issues so there's little risk of bricking or screwing up your device. If you use it please consider donating to him for all his time and work. Seriously, a week after release and it's been rooted and now there is essentially a '1-click' root. This people should be rewarded/supported!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
despite the battery issues, i like the speed at which some of the dev community is getting behind this phone

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
despite the battery issues, i like the speed at which some of the dev community is getting behind this phone

Agreed, there are already several debloated ROMs and a few slightly customized ones. Slayer has confirmed he's going to port CM7 and there are a lot of other great devs working on their own custom ROMs already!!!dancedroiddancedroid

billjohnson

Reaction score
Obviously I've been on these forums a while, and I really dig the entire community and if I had time would contribute myself. But I'll be frank, I'm seriously digging Sense (now that they've built-in a skin changer to 2.0). Otherwise I would have rooted by now. Some of the apps that need taken off I simply manually if I need. Who knows though. I may get tired of Sense in a couple of months and by then I should be graduated and possibly ROMing myself....dancedroid

Noserfatu

Reaction score
Is rooting the only way to remove the bloatware like blockbuster, bitbop, etc.?

billjohnson

Reaction score
Unfortunately yes because all those .apks are in /data/app or /system/app (it's been a while so I forgot). Either way, the only method through which they can be removed is if you get R/W access to the root directory.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to rooting so I can pull that boot sound out... that thing has woken up my wife more than once late at night as I'm tinkering with the phone. Once I dozed when I rebooted, and it scared the living crap out of me as it was sitting on my chest...

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
ok maybe I'm blind... I'm looking for the manual root thread, but the one that doesn't require flashing back to a previous firmware... I *thought* that existed, but maybe I'm wrong?

EDIT: nevermind, I AM blind...

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Where can I dl'd the right adb from?

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning

billjohnson

Reaction score
Not sure but I have the 64-bit drivers. I already had ADB on my work machine from the D1 and with the new drivers it sees my device just fine.

petman

Reaction score
I have run this easy root, and have SU and CW working, but I booted to white screen on recovery, and it shows s-on,,,, and all saying s-off is what??????