HTC Thunderbolt Gets First One-Click EasyRoot + S-OFF from XDA

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I think I found it. Had a hard time setting up adb a while back so I gave up. Gonna try it again. Windows 7 64-bit

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning

manningfan10

Reaction score
i really want to root but havent used adb before. I dl'd the sdk and drivers and i was able to take screenshots so it recognizes the fone but when i try to start up adb the window pops up and then goes away as quick as it comes up help! i really want to use this method

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but what does s-off mean?

mthorn79

Reaction score
Byahhhh...2 days after I complete manual root!

I'm on board with the above poster who loves Sense, flows alot smoother than even my ROMed Droid did. I only rooted to remove stuff I didn't want plus to overclock but I'm sticking to the stock ROM as well.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
does rooting still require flashing older firmware?

CharlieDog

Reaction score
Also, how easy is it to UN root after you've rooted with this process, if anyone knows?

dearbeloved

Reaction score
hey guys im new to the forum as i am new to android. i got tired of not having any fun with the iphone. i havent really used an android but im familiar as what rooting is but not how to actually do it. i tried using the easy root method but was unable to figure it out.

i am using a thunderbolt and i downloaded the 800meg file and plugged my phone in and ran debugging mode while in disk drive mode. i then clicked on step one while it pushed files and restarted. once it restarted it went into the white screen with the colorful text with the three droids hangin loose. once i got to that screen i couldnt follow the instructions on the rooter because it wasnt making sense. i had no idea what it wanted me to do from there. if anyone out here is willing to walk me through this i would be more than grateful and would try and return the favor to either the individual or the community as a whole. i am excited to get it unlocked and have pretty creative computer savy mind that could contribute to new fun but i am not familiar with adb or rooting android phones in the slightest.

thanks to all that help.

billjohnson

Reaction score
Byahhhh...2 days after I complete manual root!

I'm on board with the above poster who loves Sense, flows alot smoother than even my ROMed Droid did. I only rooted to remove stuff I didn't want plus to overclock but I'm sticking to the stock ROM as well.

Yeah I wanna remove the bloatware, and maybe overclock when it gets slow. But I'm still waiting a little bit just because. :)

dajogejr

Reaction score
Gonna let a few others streamline and test this out first.
I'm loving the phone, thinking about root just to get rid of the bloatware and install the wifi hotspot.
Don't feel the need for custom ROMs, etc.
Every day I am more impressed with this phone.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
does rooting still require flashing older firmware?

Yes, you first flash the old firmware followed by the the default one that is currently shipping with the phones.

Well the manual root method at least, haven't done the one click root so I dunno.

Yeah I finally did it last night and realized that you just go back to then come back to normal again. I was initially hesitant to root if it required actually being on older firmware.