HTC Rezound vs. Motorola Droid Razr vs. Samsung Galaxy Nexus

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Some people are right that it's all kind of complex, but you've explained it all kind of backwards, starting with your use of "larger aperture" vs. "higher aperture"

The lens' f-number is defined as the focal length divided by the entrance pupil diameter. Essentially, a numerically "lower" f-number (meaning a large entry pupil diameter, and/or a lower focal length) will focus a larger cone of light onto the sensor. This can mean a better picture in low light situations because the sensor doesn't need to increase its sensitivity, which increases noise, and also means a narrower depth of field (which could be good or bad, depending on its application).

F-number applies to all cameras, even cheap disposable ones. The secret is that fixed-focus cameras (e.g. disposables or most cheap cell phone cameras) have a numerically "high" f-number, like f/22. This makes their depth of field very deep so they can be focused on anything from infinity to maybe 5 feet, but they have poor low-light sensitivity.

That depends on more than just one number...

Given two identical sensors, and a properly-focused image, this could be true but isn't automatic.

I know, i make a little money on the side doing it(photography), i was just trying to quickly explain something that would take forever to explain.

mastacox

Reaction score
What the heck are you really going to do with a barometer? Unless you're a weatherman I don't see the need.

They say it's for more quickly gaining a GPS lock because it gives you a better educated guess at altitude. Solving GPS location from satellite signals is basically solving a four dimension first-order polynomial, and taking an educated guess at one of the variables (or several of the variables) helps to get a lock faster when using a numerical solver. I'm curious what kind of lock speed increase is seen...