HTC Incredible OTA Update Mysteriously Arrives!

rushmore

Reaction score
My Inc did not update:

1. Update displayed on the Inc
2. I pressed to "install"
3. Stayed froze on that screen for about a minute
4. Install option vanished and home screen reappeared
5. Device did not reset or reboot it install update
6. I later shut the device down, removed battery, put it back in, turned it back on
7. Software should show as 605.2, but still shows as 605
8. No updates showing up

Never had this problem on my wimpy G1, but probably more to do with the carrier's update process, than the device.

rushmore

Reaction score
I wish this update fixed the signal bars but i guess next time.

Whats wrong with the signal bars?

They are not even in the same ballpark as the actual signal strength.

True, but already plenty of reports with just dB values (including my own comparing Droid and Inc). Either the Inc has an average to weak radio, or the voltage was stepped down on the radio to offset for the battery.

kmo

Reaction score
Zero issues for me so far. Install took only a couple of minutes.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Whats wrong with the signal bars?

True, but already plenty of reports with just dB values (including my own comparing Droid and Inc). Either the Inc has an average to weak radio, or the voltage was stepped down on the radio to offset for the battery.

So, are you saying you wouldn't care if your phone showed no signal, yet could still make calls?

Thats the same idea. Folks just want some semblance of accuracy. If the Moto droid can do it, so can the DI.

By the way, not sure where you are going with the voltage or weak radio....I have a DI and Moto Droid and while both show similar db values die by side, the Moto Droid shows at least 1-2 bars more. Sometimes more than that.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
My Inc did not update:

6. I later shut the device down, removed battery, put it back in, turned it back on
8. No updates showing up

Never had this problem on my wimpy G1, but probably more to do with the carrier's update process, than the device.

Considering its being hosted from the same Google server as updates for the Moto Droid, G1, and Nexus One, I doubt that its a carrier's update process.

Feel free to try it manually.

https://android.clients.google.com/...22.605.2_1.22.605.0_release_sign.a33bc3bf.zip

rushmore

Reaction score
My Inc did not update:

8. No updates showing up

Considering its being hosted from the same Google server as updates for the Moto Droid, G1, and Nexus One, I doubt that its a carrier's update process.

Feel free to try it manually.

https://android.clients.google.com/...22.605.2_1.22.605.0_release_sign.a33bc3bf.zip

How do you update it manually? I placed the file in the root of the flash and microsd card, restarted, but nothing. Also tried to check for updates.

Thx

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The same way you did with the Droid. Reanme it to update.zip, put it on the base of your sdcard.

Reboot to the recovery image. I'm not sure of the exact method from the phone, but I used adb.

Code:
adb reboot recovery

Then I used one of the volume keys (not sure which) and hit the power button at the same time.

Its pretty self explanatory from there.

R1Lover

Reaction score

So, are you saying you wouldn't care if your phone showed no signal, yet could still make calls?

Thats the same idea. Folks just want some semblance of accuracy. If the Moto droid can do it, so can the DI.

By the way, not sure where you are going with the voltage or weak radio....I have a DI and Moto Droid and while both show similar db values die by side, the Moto Droid shows at least 1-2 bars more. Sometimes more than that.

i show the same results, same db readings but the incredible shows 1-2 bars less then the droid.

p.s. I got my update this morning and all went well.

R1Lover

Reaction score
After looking again right now... I have 82 dbm abd 2-3 bars... I think that's a little better then before.... hmmmmm

I'm not 100% sure though as it's not 100% predictable based on the dbm level.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Heya R1.

I pulled apart the update, and aside from the mysterious recovery image flash they failed to talk about, there are only patches to the email client, as well as 1kb patches to everything else, which I am assuming is just changing the version numbers/data.

robdroid

Reaction score
My Inc did not update:

8. No updates showing up

My Phone updated to the 605.2 this morning I suspect there doing this in waves!

rushmore

Reaction score
My Inc did not update:

8. No updates showing up

My Phone updated to the 605.2 this morning I suspect there doing this in waves!

The wave went past me- that is the point ;) (I got the update, but it did not install after pressing "install"). Still have 605

As far as a manual update, how can you update like Droid when the Inc does not have the same key set-up? If I want to go though all the rooting hub-bub, I would have kept the Droid.

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
What rooting hub bub?

I already told you how to do it.

windstrings

Reaction score
My Inc did not update:

8. No updates showing up

Now that you've rebooted....did you try to simply go into menu---->settings---->about phone---->system update?

When you go there it doesn't give you another chance to update?

dzowada

Reaction score
Can someone help with this problem?
I have gone on numerous weather sites and every site does not animate the radar.
Is there anyway to make the radar loop?
A bit off topic for an OTA update thread, but "Radar Now" works great and is free in the market.