HTC Employee Apologizes for the HTC Thunderbolt

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-thunderbolt-with-tbolt-logo.jpg

Here's something a customer almost never wants to hear from a vendor he purchased something from, "Sorry to hear about the experience. Sorry about the Thunderbolt in general. It was a difficult project. I wish we didn’t destroy your trust in us, but I understand why you do feel that way.” Sadly, that is exactly what one of HTC's employees, a man named Erick Nielsen, recently said on Reddit.

We can't really blame him for making these comments. The HTC Thunderbolt launch was mired in incompetence. It was hyped into oblivion by HTC and Verizon. When it launched it was bug-ridden and suffered from horrid battery life. It hasn't been supported very well by either HTC or Verizon, and only just recently got upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich when everything else is getting Jelly Bean. Ultimately, the device sold well and despite all of this still has a cadre of loyal fans.

Of course, it also left a swath of folks with a bitter aftertaste for HTC products, and this was why Mr. Nielsen made those comments on Reddit. He later updated his post with a better explanation of his comments after they went viral. He realized he probably spoke out of line from a marketing perspective and needed to clarify.

What is notable is HTC actually let his comment stay. Normally in a case like this, a manufacturer would be tempted to have the post expunged in some way and then send the offender packing. It's commendable they supported their employee despite his comments. It's impressive to see there are people working for HTC who truly care about the customer experience. Perhaps that is why the HTC execs let his post stand.

Source: Phandroid

wardo

Reaction score
HTC didn't try to do anything to keep me a customer. Tbolt and my flyer took major dumps, causing me to buy elsewhere.
O well. No more HTC for me

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
My wife had the TBolt and in Feb of this year she bought a G-Nex off craigslist. We got lucky and it was a beautiful G-Nex. No scratches, nothing and the IMEI was good, not stolen. I tried everything in my power to get her TBolt to work well. Nothing ever worked. Because of that phone, anyone who has asked me about the HTC One I have told to steer clear.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Everyone ignored the "smoke" before it was released (constant delays) so it came as no surprise to me when it was mired with problems once it hit consumers hands. They wanted to get the first LTE handset to market and were willing to do anything to make that happen. Well, this is what happens. A device wrought with issues that backfired on them and ruined their reputation.

wardo

Reaction score
My wife had the TBolt and in Feb of this year she bought a G-Nex off craigslist. We got lucky and it was a beautiful G-Nex. No scratches, nothing and the IMEI was good, not stolen. I tried everything in my power to get her TBolt to work well. Nothing ever worked. Because of that phone, anyone who has asked me about the HTC One I have told to steer clear.

Exactly. And if we're keeping tabs, I have influenced 7 purchases since January.

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
My wife also had the TBolt and it was a pretty bad experience all around. In the end, her phone would randomly shut-off during the day, and the only fix was to pull the battery. The only positive was Verizon's willingness to let her upgrade a couple months early, but even this was like pulling teeth; more based on our reputation as customers than her phone issues. She was a loyal HTC buyer (first the Eris, then the TBolt) and while it is nice to see a little accountability, we will never go HTC again. She currently has the SGIII and mostly loves everything about it. Props to Samsung for being on the other side of the coin. I have been loyal to Motorola (OG Droid & OG Razr) with almost zero complaints, but I am nearly positive I will be using my next upgrade to get the SGIV.

shark86x

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I guess I must be lucky. With my Thunderbolt anyway. I have never had a random reboot or shut-off. I don't txt mssg so any problems with that don't apply. Other than the slow upgrades and being Verizon's red-headed stepchild, I like my T-bolt. It's still in use and running great. The kickstand is genius and I wish more phones had that. Now, to temper my experience with the T-bolt, I came from the Dingleberry Storm. The first version. That was a horrible phone....

I would switch to the HTC One, but I want an SD card and a replaceable battery. So I guess that means the SG4, but I really don't like the feel of the SGs. The wifey has a droid razr, and I don't like it either. I may be sticking with my Bolt for a while yet.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Exactly. And if we're keeping tabs, I have influenced 7 purchases since January.

I work in the IT dept for my school district and have daily students and teachers asking my opinion. I can't tell you how many I've given suggestions to.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used to dislike HTC, but with my DNA I feel like they really made it up. They did an excellent job on it in my humble opinion.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
... My Galaxy Nexus and HTC Incredible had worse battery life than my Thunderbolt, I don't get why people hate on it's battery so much.

boidsonly

Reaction score
HTC's lack of response to the T-bolt is exactly why I WILL NEVER ever own another HTC device. Period.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
HTC's lack of response to the T-bolt is exactly why I WILL NEVER ever own another HTC device. Period.

Never say never :) especially when it comes to smart phones. You just never know. HTC is not a company that is content sitting near the bottom of the pile. The One, in my opinion, is just the start of awesome product to come from them. That handset is nice. Real nice :big smile:

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I had a T-bolt and I thought it was great for the first LTE phone out there. Sure there were glitches along the way, but not as bad as people make it out to be. I expected some problems with the first to adopt a new technology. Battery life was poor, but not much worse than the iphones at the time. If I were in the market for a new phone, I would have no problem looking at HTC again. Like Ck said, The One is a sweet device.

jrredho

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the real point of all of this is the lack of support that *any* HTC device on Verizon gets. If that well-established and consistent pattern continues to hold, the HTC One will just be the next darn-good hardware to induce suffering on its victims^w owners.

Proceed at your own risk...

john