Moto Boss Slams SGS4 & HTC in Favor of Moto X; Makes Some Solid Arguments

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Aug 8, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

At first glance, when comparing the new Moto X to the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the HTC One, the new device doesn't seem to impress. Except comparing them directly might be like comparing apples to oranges, at least according to Motorola's top engineer, Iqbal Arshad. Mr. Arshad recently sat down for an interview with CNET and had some choice words to say defending the advanced innovations in the new Moto X and slamming the SGS4 and HTC One for being inferior experiences.

You might jump to the conclusion that he is just throwing out sour grapes, and that he is biased; however, after reading his arguments, he makes a solid case as to why the new Moto X is much more than meets the eye. Here's a quote with a great summary of his perspective on the subject,

The quote above comes from AndroidAuthority, but you can read even more of the article at the CNET source link below.

What do you guys think? Is the level of innovation in the Moto X currently underrated?

Source: MotoXForums via CNET
  2. Rhino94

Rhino94 Member

I love this. It just helps boost my confidence in this phone and waiting for this phone.
    2 people like this.
  3. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

i don't like when ceo is talking crap about competition. reminds me of rim saying how bad android is. if you think your product is superior, let the product do the talking. otherwise it makes you look like a fool.

and to quote his remark about s4 being same as s3, he's wrong. s4 has ir blaster that can control tv/vcr/dvd/xbox/what ever.

my confidence in moto has dropped even more after this. do NOT underestimate competition, that's the first flaw in losing the war.
    2 people like this.
  4. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

I want to see more head to head phone reviews.
  5. jspradling7

jspradling7 Active Member

Moto...
    "I guess if we had wanted to design a cheaper feeling plastic phone that maybe would have had some gaps in the hardware design, we could have done that {referring to a removable battery}."

Samsung...
    "I guess if we had wanted to design a stiffer feeling metallic phone that maybe would have had some gaps in the hardware design, we could have done that {referring to a non-removable battery}."

Open comments like that flow both ways.
    1 person likes this.
  6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Steve Jobs disagrees
  7. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

And look where he is now.
    2 people like this.
  8. jamjr74

jamjr74 Member

Was looking forward to trying the x but seems like a step back from my s4 especially at the price point it is selling at. Have to wait and see i guess.
  9. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

I'm curious, what has Motorola ever done (aside from good radios) that now automatically qualifies them as an expert in the cell phone industry. This guy is full of shi* and has no business calling either of those phones inferior. The proof will be in pudding so to speak, and if other companies follow moto's lead then I'll believe this. Until that happens, I call sour grapes.
  10. christiansectas

christiansectas New Member

Exactly, couldn't agree with you more on that...

Let the product speak by itself...But if they're talking like that about the competition they already lost me...

11. Tonik

Tonik Member

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.
    2 people like this.
  12. acousticshade

acousticshade New Member

Exactly.

And, while he does make a few good arguments he seriously tarnished his reputation with the whole LCD thing. Both amoled and LCD have plusses and minuses and its dissapointing that an engineer would twist the facts like that.

Your engineering is bad and you should feel bad!
    1 person likes this.
  13. combatmedic870

combatmedic870 Well-Known Member

I perfer a nice LCD over a AMoled anyday of the week.
    1 person likes this.
  14. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

CEOs and companies can talk all they want. It all comes down to the dollar amount earned at the end of the day. Just cause they're pushing a new technology doesn't mean the public is ready to accept that change either.
  15. Vepaot

Vepaot Active Member

His argument isn't that the current products are bad or inferior...they're just more of the same. Let's make it better by adding bigger stats to the same framework. What do people want, more GB's? Okay let's throw more GB's into the ARE AYE EM. If dual means two, and quad means four, then clearly a quad core processor is better because it has more cores, so throw more quad cores into smart phones.

I'm looking forward to the Moto X because it talks a BIG talk. Motorola's not out to make a power house device, they're not stupid enough to go pound for pound spec wise with the enormous Samsung name. Instead they're promising a better user experience, where the optimizations to the hardware and the software interface become streamlined. If you really stop to think about it, it's a bold move but it's not that innovative. It's what Apple did with their iPhone line. Every tech savvy person knows the iPhone always comes out with inferior, behind the times hardware. But we also know that for what Apple users do with their device, it is a very powerful toy and an enjoyable experience.

If Motorola can adapt that sort of experience to fit their phone, while keeping the open endedness that makes Android such a great mobile operating system...I can really see the Moto X sincerely becoming a game changer. Which I am all for at this point. I'm tired of the technological arms race that has become the smart phone industry. We always assume bigger is better. Bigger screen, bigger resolution, bigger RAM capacity, faster CPU frequency, more megapixels on the camera, a higher mah on the battery. Maybe Motorola is onto something.

Only time will tell.
    5 people like this.
  16. Caesars

Caesars Well-Known Member

If moto isn't going to compete on "spec buffing", they Damn well better have some type of marketing campaign that easily explains why it's better - not these commercials making its product look like a flipping bag of colorful skittles.

GS4/iPhone5
  17. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

The real test will be when Moto X features are ported out in ROMs.
    How will the S4 handle them? That's what I'm waiting for!
  18. alafferty82081

alafferty82081 New Member

For all you number junkies, remember the moto x posted better benchmark scores than both the HTC one and the number booster s4......I just wish for once someone knew about what they were saying before they open their mouth...
  19. 4low4fun

4low4fun New Member

When it comes to displays the engineer didn't comment on the new droid line on Verizon that's sporting a 5" display.. What kind of technology is that??
    And we all know that the new droid line is just a variant of the X
  20. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

which benchmarks are we talking about? in quadrant moto posted 8519, s4 got 12918/13161(depending on processor) and htc one got 12577. in antutu moto x got 18713, s4 got 23858/28018(depending on processor) and htc one got 24259.

as far as i know, those are the two primary benchmarks used to test the phones.

sources for scores AT&T Moto X phone: decent AnTuTu score, 4.7-inch display, and no SD slot - VR-Zone and Samsung Galaxy S4 vs HTC One Benchmarks
    2 people like this.
Search tags for this page

compare battery life for droid mini vs moto x

does galaxy s3 have ir blaster

moto x battery

moto x vs sgs4

sgs4 vs razr maxx