Kid Leaks Awful Review Video of HTC M8; Gets Personally Chastised by HTC's Gordon

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;Vvq4H6yI3Jk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvq4H6yI3Jk[/video]​

Be forewarned, the above video is awful, but that's not why it's interesting or relevant. The content of the video is what is important. On Sunday, a young kid named Roshan Jamkatel uploaded this video which compares the older HTC One directly to the new M8 (All New HTC One). Who knows how this kid got hold of it... Regardless, he decided to video his own review comparison.

There are two things interesting about this video. One is that we actually do get to see the two devices side-by-side and get to see a few features of HTC's new flagship. These include: more KitKat transparency with the on-screen buttons, a colorful status bar, dual rear cameras, and an SD card slot. (Nice surprise!) Despite the poor quality of the "review" and the general lack of knowledge regarding the device, we actually get to see quite a bit which HTC probably didn't want to et leaked before they launch the phone.

That's exactly where the second most interesting thing about this video comes in. The kid in the video wasn't too bright and actually left tell-tale signs on the video of who he was (like his own IMEI info). Because of this, HTC's Senior Global Online Communications Manager, Jeff Gordon, contacted him personally in a Twitter exchange and warned the kid that what he was doing would likely get him in to real trouble. In fact, HTC is supposedly planning on taking legal action against the kid. He already took the video off of his YouTube channel, but you know how the internet is... someone already copied it and that's what we are seeing above.

Here's a quote with more of the details,

In a Twitter exchange between Jamkatel and HTC *Senior Global Online Communications Manager Jeff Gordon, the latter makes it clear that HTC is planing on taking some type of action against him.

In the exchange, which accompanies this article, you can see that after Gordon tells Jamkatel that it is not going to be a good week for him, the kid back pedals and tries to say that the phone was a fake. But the HTC executive was not biting. He tells the would-be phone reviewer that he has the unit's unique IMEI number and other information. He closes out the chat with an ominous "We'll be in touch," said in a way that probably required the kid to change his shorts.

Change his shorts, indeed... At any rate, it seems obvious by Gordon's response that the phone in the video is definitely the next-gen HTC One. It also seems obvious that the kid should have been far more careful than he was, or simply not bothered to leak the video at all.

Thanks for the tip, combatmedic870!

Source: PhoneArena

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Gonna be a bad week..hmm..not something ya want to hear from a large company when its obvious you've messed up..

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I heard this kid and the Flappy Bird guy are going in to hiding together! :p

R

RETG

Proof, you don't need intelligence to post on the internet.:icon_ banana:

RyanPm40

Reaction score
How the heck do people get preview developer additions of these unreleased phones anyways? Especially because it's just some kid... I find it hard to believe he'd work for some huge smartphone company like HTC?

But yeah, leaking a video of a phone coming out from a company that has been going under for the past several months/few years... you should kind of expect a lawsuit haha. HTC will do anything to get money and stay afloat at this point.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
How the heck do people get preview developer additions of these unreleased phones anyways? Especially because it's just some kid... I find it hard to believe he'd work for some huge smartphone company like HTC?

But yeah, leaking a video of a phone coming out from a company that has been going under for the past several months/few years... you should kind of expect a lawsuit haha. HTC will do anything to get money and stay afloat at this point.
probably one of his parents. I feel sorry for them because they will now pay the price for his stupidity....... and our gain :big smile:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Incredible. What a total ditz. His parent (which ever one it was who he borrowed this phone from) is in deep doodoo.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
Didn't watch the video yet, it does it say how kid got phone? I don't work for a huge corporation with "trade secrets", but if I did, and they gave me a pre-release item with the warning it is not to be shown, seen or reviewed, I would follow those rules as I need the job.

If they have the phones info, they know whose it is. If kid got it legally, he cant be held liable.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I posted this vid and a post earlier today but removed it because of the poor quality and to try and help protect both parties. All and all HTC will only scare him and never allow him to test again. HTC do not need the bad pub of playing hardball with a kid. It will go worse for them than the kid because all and all you can not arrest him, you can not demand he pay what he does not have, and if you put too much pressure the family will go to the news and sympathy could play against HTC. SO I say demand the vid be removed and move on.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Didn't watch the video yet, it does it say how kid got phone? I don't work for a huge corporation with "trade secrets", but if I did, and they gave me a pre-release item with the warning it is not to be shown, seen or reviewed, I would follow those rules as I need the job.

If they have the phones info, they know whose it is. If kid got it legally, he cant be held liable.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Not true...it could be there's a confidentiality agreement...

Last edited:

hkwise01

Reaction score
I thought his dad was a tester and his son stole it to create his own review?