Kid Leaks Awful Review Video of HTC M8; Gets Personally Chastised by HTC's Gordon

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 3, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Be forewarned, the above video is awful, but that's not why it's interesting or relevant. The content of the video is what is important. On Sunday, a young kid named Roshan Jamkatel uploaded this video which compares the older HTC One directly to the new M8 (All New HTC One). Who knows how this kid got hold of it... Regardless, he decided to video his own review comparison.

There are two things interesting about this video. One is that we actually do get to see the two devices side-by-side and get to see a few features of HTC's new flagship. These include: more KitKat transparency with the on-screen buttons, a colorful status bar, dual rear cameras, and an SD card slot. (Nice surprise!) Despite the poor quality of the "review" and the general lack of knowledge regarding the device, we actually get to see quite a bit which HTC probably didn't want to et leaked before they launch the phone.

That's exactly where the second most interesting thing about this video comes in. The kid in the video wasn't too bright and actually left tell-tale signs on the video of who he was (like his own IMEI info). Because of this, HTC's Senior Global Online Communications Manager, Jeff Gordon, contacted him personally in a Twitter exchange and warned the kid that what he was doing would likely get him in to real trouble. In fact, HTC is supposedly planning on taking legal action against the kid. He already took the video off of his YouTube channel, but you know how the internet is... someone already copied it and that's what we are seeing above.

Here's a quote with more of the details,

Change his shorts, indeed... At any rate, it seems obvious by Gordon's response that the phone in the video is definitely the next-gen HTC One. It also seems obvious that the kid should have been far more careful than he was, or simply not bothered to leak the video at all.

Thanks for the tip, combatmedic870!

Source: PhoneArena
  2. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Gonna be a bad week..hmm..not something ya want to hear from a large company when its obvious you've messed up..
  3. jspradling7

jspradling7 Active Member

Is there a chance this was staged for publicity?
  4. combatmedic870

combatmedic870 Well-Known Member

Nope, the kid did not make the camera look to good.(couldn't get it to work for a while).

SD card slot!!!!!!
  5. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

I heard this kid and the Flappy Bird guy are going in to hiding together! :p
  6. RETG

RETG Member

Proof, you don't need intelligence to post on the internet.:icon_ banana:
  7. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

No more preview units for him
  8. RyanPm40

RyanPm40 Member

How the heck do people get preview developer additions of these unreleased phones anyways? Especially because it's just some kid... I find it hard to believe he'd work for some huge smartphone company like HTC?

But yeah, leaking a video of a phone coming out from a company that has been going under for the past several months/few years... you should kind of expect a lawsuit haha. HTC will do anything to get money and stay afloat at this point.
  9. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

probably one of his parents. I feel sorry for them because they will now pay the price for his stupidity....... and our gain :big smile:
  10. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Incredible. What a total ditz. His parent (which ever one it was who he borrowed this phone from) is in deep doodoo.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
  11. sherri

sherri Member

Didn't watch the video yet, it does it say how kid got phone? I don't work for a huge corporation with "trade secrets", but if I did, and they gave me a pre-release item with the warning it is not to be shown, seen or reviewed, I would follow those rules as I need the job.

If they have the phones info, they know whose it is. If kid got it legally, he cant be held liable.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
  12. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

I posted this vid and a post earlier today but removed it because of the poor quality and to try and help protect both parties. All and all HTC will only scare him and never allow him to test again. HTC do not need the bad pub of playing hardball with a kid. It will go worse for them than the kid because all and all you can not arrest him, you can not demand he pay what he does not have, and if you put too much pressure the family will go to the news and sympathy could play against HTC. SO I say demand the vid be removed and move on.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  13. 94lt1

The next preview he's going to see is probably one he doesn't want to see coming.
  14. 94lt1

Not true...it could be there's a confidentiality agreement...
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  15. hkwise01

hkwise01 New Member

I thought his dad was a tester and his son stole it to create his own review?
  16. HNettles

HNettles Member

I have no inside information on this, but I suspect that would be the case, his father / mother / older sibling / some family member worked for HTC or was a beta tester or otherwise had legitimate access to the phone, but with a confidentiality agreement. I know where I work, allowing your kid to reveal protected trade secrets is grounds for termination.
  17. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Very true. The parent is at least in for a severe reprimand.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
  18. RideZeLitenin

RideZeLitenin New Member

Crank dat soljah boy.... really
  19. sherri

sherri Member

Yes, but as I said, if kid got it legally. If he stole it from his parents and they had the confidentiality agreement, they are liable.

If I worked for a company with trade secrets, and obtained the phone legally with the confidentiality clause, if I lost phone or gave it away, I would be liable. If stolen and person who stole it was caught, I am liable, they are criminal and can be prosecuted. If I gave it to someone, they aren't liable (especially in the case of giving it to a minor...) I would be liable. Any "punishment" would be directed at me.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
  20. 94lt1

Seeing as this person is a minor..that used to mean something..but ...now days...if you're 15 you run the risk of being tried as an adult..

Too many variables here..we would need facts to get any real sense of what could be put on the table..I have a feeling PC is probably correct..it would be bad press to nail this kid..however...that doesn't mean they couldn't get creative with a judge, and teach him a lesson of epic proportions in a different way..

But you have a point except for...guilt by association.. Or conspiracy to commit...nothing is black and white..the entire legal system is people trying to get people to agree with their assessment or idea of what a specific law or set if laws is supposed to mean..

In this world ..the placement of..here in, or as..or any number of modifier's if you will... Can make or break a case..is really getting to be tricky..
Search tags for this page
droid mazz vs htc one m8
how dose the htc one m8 compare to the droid maxx xt1080
htc gordon warns kid
htc m8 kid review
htc one
htc one m8 reviewed by kid
kid gets in trouble for htc 1 m8 review

kid leaks htc all new one on youtube

kid leaks htc m8

kid who leaked htc m8
lad gets chastisement