How will new RAZR impact the Bionic?

silver6054

Reaction score
It would be kind of funny if Moto declared that they were unsealing the Razr battery just before shipment (2 week delay or something like that). As a Bionic owner, the replaceable battery is basically the one thing that I feel superior about.

It's (a little) amusing that bionic users are defending the phone over the Razr by pointing out just how essential a removable battery is to overcome bootloops etc. I don't quite recall these statements when discussing the huge superiority of Android vs iOS, when the system is promoted as very stable "I have never had a problem" type stuff.

Yes, when you buy a phone, you know that something probably better in some ways will be along soon. If you have the inclination and the means, you deal with that by buying that better phone when it appears. For others, you can argue for several months why your phone is really better (that .2Ghz RAZR increase in speed won't be noticeable, but when I was choosing my phone originally it was obviously much better than phone X because its clockspeed was .2Ghz faster etc).

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
It's (a little) amusing that bionic users are defending the phone over the Razr by pointing out just how essential a removable battery is to overcome bootloops etc. I don't quite recall these statements when discussing the huge superiority of Android vs iOS, when the system is promoted as very stable "I have never had a problem" type stuff.

Yes, when you buy a phone, you know that something probably better in some ways will be along soon. If you have the inclination and the means, you deal with that by buying that better phone when it appears. For others, you can argue for several months why your phone is really better (that .2Ghz RAZR increase in speed won't be noticeable, but when I was choosing my phone originally it was obviously much better than phone X because its clockspeed was .2Ghz faster etc).

Well it's not necessarily defending the Bionic, which we all know has issues. If you look at all three phones, Nexus, RAZR & Bionic, they are all high end phones. I think what is being addressed here, or more accurately, assumed, is that the RAZR will more than likely have issues as well, perhaps not, but most likely will. Don't get me wrong, I like the RAZR, owned the original. But like I said, IMO any phone without a removable battery is a disposable phone and again, like I said earlier, by the time the battery actually does die, most people who buy it will already be looking to upgrade.

It just seems that whatever phone is released, whether it be spec or feature wise, nothing suits everyone.

1) Nexus, the 5 Megapixel camera (Yea we know this means little to most, but it's a deal breaker to many)
2) RAZR (Unremovable battery, is a deal breaker to many)
3) Bionic (Bugs and Issues that need addressing)

I don't see why just 1 (one) company can't come out with specs and features that everyone is happy with. But on the flip side, that's what keeps innovation and technology growing. Outdoing the other guy.. like many of us here are trying to do with devices we had absolutely no part in creating.

I think we need a sticky somewhere that says something like "No matter what phone you have, get or want, someone will find something wrong with it"

I'm living with the Bionics issues because I have faith, that fixes will come. That and I won't pay retail for any phone, and the Bionic will get me until my upgrade in 2 years. I like it, it's fast, but has issues - nothing is ever perfect.

Last edited:

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well it's not necessarily defending the Bionic, which we all know has issues. If you look at all three phones, Nexus, RAZR & Bionic, they are all high end phones. I think what is being addressed here, or more accurately, assumed, is that the RAZR will more than likely have issues as well, perhaps not, but most likely. Don't get me wrong, I like the RAZR, owned the original. But like I said, IMO any phone without a removable battery is a disposable phone and again, like I said earlier, by the time the battery actually does die, most people who buy it will already be looking to upgrade.

It just seems that whatever phone is released, whether it be spec or feature wise, nothing suits everyone.

1) Nexus, the 5 Megapixel camera (Yea we know this means little to most, but it's a deal breaker to many)
2) RAZR (Unremovable battery, is a deal breaker to many)
3) Bionic (Bugs and Issues that need addressing)

I don't see why just 1 (one) company can't come out with specs and features that everyone is happy with. But on the flip side, that's what keeps innovation and technology growing. Outdoing the other guy.. like many of us here are trying to do with devices we had absolutely no part in creating.

I think we need a sticky somewhere that says something like "No matter what phone you have, get or want, someone will find something wrong with it"

I'm living with the Bionics issues because I have faith, that fixes will come. That and I won't pay retail for any phone, and the Bionic will get me until my upgrade in 2 years. I like it, it's fast, but has issues - nothing is ever perfect.

You can fix bugs easily with just software upgrades or roms.. u can't easily change a razr battery or swap out a better camera

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
You can fix bugs easily with just software upgrades or roms.. u can't easily change a razr battery or swap out a better camera

That's my point... nothing is going to perfect for everyone.

BlacknTan

Reaction score
All i know is that my og droid was so worn out there is no way i would have made it another two months. Damn phone wouldn't even charge right.

I am happy with the bionic. The razr and nexus will be big for two months. Then new phones will be out in January that will trump them. Pointless to be mad about it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

TatDroid

Reaction score
It's (a little) amusing that bionic users are defending the phone over the Razr by pointing out just how essential a removable battery is to overcome bootloops etc.

The advantages of a removable battery go way beyond "overcoming bootloops". Extended batteries, carrying a spare second battery, replacing an older battery, etc are all nice options to have. A definite advantage in my book, if all other features are similar.

silver6054

Reaction score

For some definition of "easily"! While I agree that in theory bugs SHOULD be less concern than basic hardware limitations, often serious issues don't get fixed for months if ever, e.g. corporate exchange sync on the Froyo D2G/Droid Pro. In that case, people returned their phones and put them on corporate blacklists. Fixing bugs with ROMs, where possible, is again not all that reasonable for the average user who has spent a lot of money on the phone.

Derekweb

Reaction score
So happy to get off my Orig Droid to the Bionic. I could not have put up with the lag for another 6 weeks. I just expected too much from it. Now I have more than enough memory to load useless apps, run useful apps and widgets. Smooth UI, no longer even use launcher, hate to admit I can live with motoblur.

BionicKate

Reaction score
You are absolutey right, there is always something in the works. But I think the issue here is that Moto is kind of sticking it to us. I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread, it's not as if it's Samsung or HTC is releasing this phone, it's Moto, 6 weeks after the Bionic. 6 Months ago they announced the Bionic, next best phone, then made us wait and wait. For what? For it to come out, then to release another phone right after that? I love my Bionic, but as a customer I feel kind of betrayed. But I think that's the feeling right now. At least mine.

That makes sense. I didn't shop around much for my Bionic so I personally don't feel 'duped' but I can see that. For me I just looked at what was already out since I needed a phone rather than wanting one. Seems like they announced it, then revamped it and it was delayed. I guess I'd rather have a phone that got extra attention before it was released than one that potentially could be full of bugs. Then again I never mind ordering a strip steak when the person next to me gets filet mignon...they're both tasty ;)

Felix 222

Reaction score
I'm sure Moto will include a hard reset feature either by pressing the power button for an extended period of time or creating a button combination. I have no need for an extended battery so the Razr looks good.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Moto will include a hard reset feature either by pressing the power button for an extended period of time or creating a button combination. I have no need for an extended battery so the Razr looks good.

Agreed - there will be some way to hard reset the device if it crashes.