Droid 3 Huge Success; Sold Out Already On Verizon Online Stores

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid3-sold-out1.jpg

Apparently, even though there are a lot of folks holding out for the Droid Bionic or the Samsung Galaxy SII, instead of getting the Droid 3 now, that hasn't dampened the success of the phone. For every tech-head that was holding out for the "juicier" phones coming out later this year, there were probably 2-3 regular consumers that just wanted to snap up a Droid 3, and they did. The phone is currently sold out on Verizon's online store, according to a Droid-Life report.

Of course, with the BOGO sale that Verizon was having, it's not surprising that the phones sold out quickly. Buying two phones for the price of one always seems like a great deal. Never-mind the fact, that both Amazon and Wirefly actually had better new individual contract deals on the phone, with $60 and $50 dollars respectively. Of course, consumers don't always know where to get the best deals out there, and the "perceived" convenience of getting it directly from Verizon, must have factored in to the huge sales.

Regardless, it's still a great phone, and deserves its success. How many of you guys didn't need/want to hold out for any of the later phones like the Bionic, and instead bought the Droid 3? Let us know what you guys think in the forums!

Source: Droid-Life

gmorgan056

Reaction score
No surprise about this. I think it's going to become more popular now that it's confirmed that the Bionic isn't coming out til September. I think people that don't want to wait will get this.

82DMC12

Reaction score
I was really close to getting a D3 this summer but I keep having hopes of the Bionic coming out. I would just say screw it and get the D3 but I finally rooted my D1 and am now running PE6.5 at 1 ghz and it's actually running pretty well! I think I can hold out until September now. The D3 really does seem like a great phone - the world capabilities are nice but I'm torn on the 4G thing.

Oxymoron

Reaction score
It's a very nice phone. If it weren't for the lack of 4G, I would have gotten it. Living in a 4G area is the reason I'm holding out for the Bionic, or something else.

Anyone that grabbed a D3 should be proud.

*customized tapatalk signature*

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I got mine. I live in a 4G area, I just want the 4G chipsets used on phones to mature and go through a revision or two before jumping in.

Coming from the OG Droid this phone is so much faster at rendering webpages, opening emails, etc...that 3G seems to have improved in speeds in comparison.

Great phone...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree with others....if it wasnt for me wanting 4G I woulda been grabbed the D3. And I dont even like phones with physical keyboards anymore.

LT*

Reaction score
I got mine. I live in a 4G area, I just want the 4G chipsets used on phones to mature and go through a revision or two before jumping in.

Coming from the OG Droid this phone is so much faster at rendering webpages, opening emails, etc...that 3G seems to have improved in speeds in comparison.

Great phone...

Same here. Plus I got in on the BOGO and got one for my wife to replace her D2. Not sorry I didn't wait for the Bionic. I agree on the perceived increase in 3g speeds too. The D3 is a GREAT device.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
It would be a nice option but I bet I'd be keeping the 4G turned off a lot of the time to save battery power. The 4G antenna would also make the phone somewhat bulkier. Not too excited about 4G at the moment...maybe next year when things improve, and there's always a better phone coming later.

Reaction score
It would be a nice option but I bet I'd be keeping the 4G turned off a lot of the time to save battery power. The 4G antenna would also make the phone somewhat bulkier. Not too excited about 4G at the moment...maybe next year when things improve, and there's always a better phone coming later.

I wasn't that excited about 4G either until I had it. Now 3G seems like dial up.

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
this is keeping me from swapping mine out for a keyboard issue. went past my 14 days, luckily they add a little note on my account so ill still get to swap it out

B

djchon661

Reaction score
I was keen on buying a D3 but it just doesn't have the same "wow" or "it" factor that the OG Droid had when I bought it. The OG Droid made me jump ship to Verizon from AT&T and was one of the top phones out at the time. I would say it was arguably better than the iPhone at the time.

When I saw the D3 at Verizon I was just...disinterested. The Samsung Galaxy S II has that "wow" factor for me but I may wait to see what the Bionic really has to offer before picking anything up.

Reaction score
The GS2 is going to crap all over the Bionic. I have a D1 and Moto is not even on my radar anymore when it comes to my next phone. It will either be the GS2 or the Nexus Prime if that heads over to VZW.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
You know how Moto could track how many people root their phones.........unlock the bootloader of the D3 in like 2 weeks or so and see how many people jump to buy it then. I know it won't happen but it would be interesting to see the spike in sales if they did this.

Vito.a

Reaction score
I think the Droid 3 is actually the nicest phone I've held in my hands. It absolutely has the best keyboard I've ever used on a phone.

In spite of that, I waited to see the Bionic and Galaxy S II. Of course at the time, I thought the Bionic was coming Aug 4th.