How will new RAZR impact the Bionic?

ffejeroni

Reaction score
My guess is that since they are so similar, and let's be honest, and top of the line phones, they will be pretty similar. I'm sure updates will go out for both since they have a lot of the same software and hardware. I bet we get unlocked bootloader soon after the release, and I bet that when it all comes down to it, they will be pretty much the same device minus aesthetics.

I just got the Bionic and I love it. It feels like a real phone, I'm not afraid to drop it (with a decent case on it) and like others have said, it does everything I want it to.

I know it's all just debate, but I bet that we won't get shafted or forgotten about.

/my $0.02

donzz

Reaction score
Comparing the Bionic to the original Droid is laughable. The Bionic may as well have not been released at all at this point. It's a pointless device now.

What phone won't be pointless two months after it comes out?

rumblee1

Reaction score
I wouldn't even consider a phone without a user replaceable battery. I know a few iphone owners. They actually have to carry around a mini charging cord all the time. That's crazy. Its a whole lot more practical ti just pop in a fresh charged battery. And when you need a new battery, apple charges close to a hundred bucks to replace and, of coarse you're not getting a new battery, they just swap out the phone with another used one. You really don't know what or who's you're getting. At least with bionic, I keep MY PHONE. Just swap batteries. By the way, I've only had to swap out my battery once in 2 months. It was during very heavy use in 4g for about 7 hours. That's not bad.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

WyldRyce

Reaction score
All I want I want is MIUI or CM7 roms for the Bionic. I don't care so much what comes out within the next few months. I knew going into buying the Bionic, that something better will be coming out.

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
Im going out on a limb here and saying the extra 200mhz the Razr has probably wont even be that perceptible.. Also, considering this device has nearly identical guts as the Bionic and is running the same software, I bet the user experience will be nearly identical to that of the Bionic. The only thing this really offers is a thinner form factor and better screen. Granted, those are two huge features on a cell phone, but I dont think this device blows the Bionic out of the water or somehow makes it obselete.

Given the choice, would I rather have had this device? Yes. Does this device make me hate the Bionic or think it's subpar? No at all.

I agree with you; I don't think my Bionic is subpar. I'm glad I got it. But I also kinda wish I would've just held out a little longer. Like, had I known if I'd had waited three weeks instead of running in on day one and dropping $300 on it that I could've gotten it for one red cent, I would've waited. And then had I known if I just gave it another couple of weeks and I'd get an even slicker Bionic, I think I would've waited. Instead, Moto and Verizon had me chomping at the bit for 8 months for something they were just gonna make second fiddle in six weeks. I'm glad I waited for this versus getting the Atrix like I originally was going to, but seeing as how I waited 8 months, I probably could've gone another 6 weeks and gotten the RAZR. I'm trying not to be too salty about it, and I'd probably feel better if they would've fixed all the bugs with my phone before coming out with a brand new one.

scottd

Reaction score
Honestly, I can't remember the last phone I bought that I didn't put an extended battery into, so I wouldn't have bought the Razr anyway. I like the looks of the Bionic over the angled skinny Razr. As far as I can see, the only advantage ( the super AMOLED display ) is outweighed by the only major disadvantage ( The fixed unchangeable battery ). Technical specs are pretty much the same other than that. You can keep your skinny angled silvery Droid RAZR and I will keep my thick black Bionic. After the next software upgrade, I would expect the Bionic to be a worthy phone for the next 18 months. Then maybe I can get the 2 Ghz quad core Droid with 64GB on-board and 2GB RAM with Android 5.0 cheesecake. Come 2012 when Google owns Motorola, The new Moto phones may even have pure android such as the nexus line. Why wait for a better model when there are always better models coming out. Have you ever completed a contract with Verizon and had your phone still be cutting edge when you upgraded? No !!!!!! I must admit though that had I known about the RAZR, I definitely would have waited and bought a Bionic at the new lower price!!!!!! It was only 6 weeks.

JoshSB

Reaction score
I will never buy the Razr due to the simple fact that the damn thing has a non removeable battery.

What if something like a BSOD happens with the RAZR? Are you going to return it to Verizon and exchange it every time? Cause you aren't going to do a battery pull.

Also, no extended battery, both AMOLED and 4G are battery hogs, are you going to tell me that they both can co-exist on a phone THAT thin with battery life anywhere near the Bionic with its extended?

200 Mhz will be near nothing in improvement, and also AMOLED sucks in daylight, my Pentile is perfect in daylight.

If you keep waiting around the damn corner for the next best thing you will NEVER buy a thing, you have to make a stand.

Two years from now when I can upgrade my phone I will probably get some crazy 8 core phone and someone will be pissed because a 16 core will be coming out 6 months after it...

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Unrooted...kicking ass and taking names.

As I said before...the Bionic will be a good phone for the lenght of a contract, although with shortcomings which most will be addressed with the update and even totally gone with ICS, It will stand in the Top 5. About the only thing you'll be getting with the new Razor is thinner, due to a non-removable battery, and a slightly better screen which is minor for most... and with any 4G LTE phone coming out for the remainder of the year and then some they ALL will have battery shortrcomings.

Trying to be an non-biased as possible. I agree completely. The RAZR looks like an incredible phone, the specs aren't that much better then the Bionics. We don't know if/or their will be any bugs with the RAZR, but one can only conclude it will have it's share of problems, as all phones.

Non Removable battery, now to me, and this is JMHO, any phone with a non removable battery I consider a disposable phone. What do you do with it when the battery dies, given, that by the time that happens, most will be ready or already have upgraded to a new phone.

What appealed to me with the Bionic was that it looks like the OG Droid, just bigger and faster and so on..

We are already seeing complaints about the 2 new phones that aren't even out yet. The 5 megapixel camera on the nexus (Yes we know it means nothing) but people will complain. The non-removable battery on the RAZR. So the cycle begins again ..

In ending, I hope that all phones will eventually see ICS and unite Android to a sturdy, reliable and and enjoyable operating system that we can all enjoy and appreciate regardless of what phone we have.

redfishrun

Reaction score
Rediculous

If I lost my Bionic, and didn't have insurance, I would go right back to Verizon and gladly pay $299 for another one. It was well worth the wait to get it right. I've not had a single problem with mine. Of the hundreds of thousands sold, there are going to be issues, and those people's stories will get told, while the other 300,000 will go on enjoying they're Bionic Goodiness! With the extended battery I can't kill this thing in a day, sometimes 2! And it's still stock. And wait until we get ICS! What more do we need in a phone?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
As for ICS, this is a reply I just got from motorola:

shadez69 wrote:

Dan, you failed to mention anything about any of the bugs nearly all Bionic owners are experiencing. IE: Data loss, apps having to be stored internally, etc. Sure, there are some temporary work arounds, but when if at all, will these issues be addressed, will we even see ICS?

Hello shadez69. Unfortunately, there is no smart phone made, regardless of manufacturer, that does not have some bugs in their initial release. Updates are released to specificially address collective verified bugs as required, and major OS release(s) are certain to occur on recently released smart phones. Why would I *not* believe that this very recent release of the Bionic not receive Ice Cream Sandwich? Google's declared intention is the unification of the Android operating system, and I see ICS the vehicle to acheive this goal of theirs. --- Dan

ConqSoft

Reaction score
As for ICS, this is a reply I just got from motorola:

shadez69 wrote:

Dan, you failed to mention anything about any of the bugs nearly all Bionic owners are experiencing. IE: Data loss, apps having to be stored internally, etc. Sure, there are some temporary work arounds, but when if at all, will these issues be addressed, will we even see ICS?

Hello shadez69. Unfortunately, there is no smart phone made, regardless of manufacturer, that does not have some bugs in their initial release. Updates are released to specificially address collective verified bugs as required, and major OS release(s) are certain to occur on recently released smart phones. Why would I *not* believe that this very recent release of the Bionic not receive Ice Cream Sandwich? Google's declared intention is the unification of the Android operating system, and I see ICS the vehicle to acheive this goal of theirs. --- Dan

Just to clarify, the person that replied to you on their forum isn't a Moto employee. Those people are clearly marked. He just has the "MotoXprt" tag because he been on the forum a long time and has amassed "points".

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Just to clarify, the person that replied to you on their forum isn't a Moto employee. Those people are clearly marked. He just has the "MotoXprt" tag because he been on the forum a long time and has amassed "points".

Thanks Conq, I wasn't to sure myself. Because his initial reply was to someone elses post that said, "I doubt motorola is even reading this" and his reply was "I am reading it :)" So I wasn't sure if he was with moto or not. Thanks for the clarification.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
I suppose it's possible that he IS an employee that's hiding, but no way to know for sure I guess.

GrimMeeper

Reaction score
It would be kind of funny if Moto declared that they were unsealing the Razr battery just before shipment (2 week delay or something like that). As a Bionic owner, the replaceable battery is basically the one thing that I feel superior about.

cece5702

Reaction score
The Razr does look sleek! I love the look. Has there been official specs that say this phone has an unmovable battery?