[HOW TO] Root your Motorola Droid RAZR [Windows Only]

mkemvp32

Reaction score
OK? so ADB is part of the rooting tools that gets installed when you root? Cause when people mention that something went wrong, they are asked if they have the moto drivers and adb installed? So if it comes with the root files, how can it be installed before the attempt to root?

jtsativa420

Reaction score
OK? so ADB is part of the rooting tools that gets installed when you root? Cause when people mention that something went wrong, they are asked if they have the moto drivers and adb installed? So if it comes with the root files, how can it be installed before the attempt to root?

Yes and you install moto drivers which includes adb drivers. Then run the root process which installs adb and superuser. I'm guessing Adb fails if the drivers are not installed correctly. But I have never had problems so i'm not sure on that.

It is honestly very simple and takes only minutes. Have you downloaded everything already?

Swyped from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums.

mkemvp32

Reaction score
Downloaded Moto drivers..check. Downloaded root files in the OP...check USB debugging...check. Charge only....check. Ready to brick my shiny new white Razr....I don't know. Guys..im freaking out. Will this install a recovery? I read something about a bootstrap or something? Is that a separate download? I wasn't like this with my OG, its just that i really dont want to mess up this phone. But I hate all the damn bloatware and i miss screenshots

jtsativa420

Reaction score
Bootstrapper:
Page 9 post 94 of this thread if on Web site. Page 10 if using Droid forums app.

Swyped from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums.

mkemvp32

Reaction score

jtsativa420

Reaction score
DONE!!!!!! YES WE HAVE ROOT!!! Thank you so much dude. You were a ton of help. I don't know if I would have done it so quick if you didn't help out. Thanks dude, I really appreciate it. Now the fun begins.

Anytime, I told you it's a breeze!!

panapress

Reaction score

DISCLAIMER: Droid Forums or myself will not be responsible if you happen to brick your device during this root process. Please proceed at your own risk.

Step 1: Download and install Motorola Drivers for your Windows PC (this doesn’t work on other operating systems): 32-bit or 64-bit.

Step 2:
Download DooMLoRD_v2_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su.zip and extract contents to your PC (desktop would be a good place).

Step 3: From your Droid RAZR’s homescreen, tap Menu button and enable USB Debugging from Settings > Applications > Development.

Step 4: Connect your Droid RAZR with your PC and select Charge Only option from notifications drawer.

Step 5: Navigate to where the folder you unzipped in Step 2 to and open the folder and click on the runme.bat file and let it do its thing.

If you followed the steps correctly, your Droid RAZR should now be rooted on Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread.

Thanks to Pieman13 for the find!

I want to root my M. Razr so I can really say it is my phone. I got the razr over the weekend and have since received an update to build 6.5.1-73_DHD-11_M1-2. Does this rooting process above work on updated razr? If not, is there any other way to root my Razr?

toddinav

Reaction score
Should I Re-Root?

I rooted my RAZR about a week ago, everything was fine till a day ago, after trying the first right unlock slide, my screen would go blank. The phone would ring but all the apps were gone and I would get messages like "The application WEBTOP (process com.android.portal) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" Besides WEBTOP... CPU TUNER and FINGERPRINT SCANNER said the same thing. I went here: http://www.theandroidsoul.com/droid-razr-bootloop-fix/ and found out how to restore to when I first bought. This time i'm gonna slow down on all the free apps, but wondering if rooting is really worth it?

grimloktt

Reaction score
Bought Razr yesterday, installed OTA update this morning, rooted immediately following with this method. Installed Bionic Bootstrapper and successfully backed up my phone. Thnx for the information on how to root!!! :icon_ banana:

thelastbill

Reaction score
Once you root, and installed a safes strap or boot strap, how do you recover if your phone messes up? I recieved my second razr today after bricking the first. It was bricked after following instructions from this forum on removing the bootstrap. I know where it went wrong, but not how to fix it. I was able to get into recovery before and I saw the backup I made..... but I couldnt figure out how to initate it. I could select it with the power button in recovery but couldnt figure out how to load the backup......no one answered any of my threads asking for help.

So now that I have my second one....apps all loaded....not rooted. Can someone experienced please point me in the right direction with some links or guidance on how to safely root, backup, unroot when ICS comes, and how to load the backup if something goes wrong?

Thanks very much

grimloktt

Reaction score
Once you root, and installed a safes strap or boot strap, how do you recover if your phone messes up? I recieved my second razr today after bricking the first. It was bricked after following instructions from this forum on removing the bootstrap. I know where it went wrong, but not how to fix it. I was able to get into recovery before and I saw the backup I made..... but I couldnt figure out how to initate it. I could select it with the power button in recovery but couldnt figure out how to load the backup......no one answered any of my threads asking for help.

So now that I have my second one....apps all loaded....not rooted. Can someone experienced please point me in the right direction with some links or guidance on how to safely root, backup, unroot when ICS comes, and how to load the backup if something goes wrong?

Thanks very much

The advertised windows rooting seems to work very easily...and is maybe the only way?

Never used safestrap but with bootstrap you open it up, click the top button (can't remember what it is). You should see a little, quick pop-up that says success. Then, you push the bottom button to reboot your phone into CWM...I believe it is. Once there you can make a backup, restore backup, clear....etc. To restore, I believe you first have to navigate (volume buttons) and select (power button) 'backup/restore,' then to backup you'd pick back up. To restore you'd pick restore and then navigate to your previous backup. It seemed pretty self explanatory to me. Any additional questions? Why'd you try to take off bootstrap? Seems to me if you're running it and gtg then there's no real reason to change it...especially if you already backed up your system...

I, as another had mentioned, have used Ginger Unroot to easiliy/quickly unroot the phone.

You can use VooDoo Root keeper to keep root during an OTA update.

I'm "thinking" I'll use TiBu to just freeze apps I have no intent on using. That way everything will still be present for OTA updates. However, as updates come out we could all hope that the developers will incorporate updates into new ROMs. So, I've only always updated/installed new ROMs instead of OTA updates.

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread....

Last edited:

thelastbill

Reaction score
Never used safestrap but with bootstrap you open it up, click the top button (can't remember what it is). You should see a little, quick pop-up that says success. Then, you push the bottom button to reboot your phone into CWM...I believe it is. Once there you can make a backup, restore backup, clear....etc. To restore, I believe you first have to navigate (volume buttons) and select (power button) 'backup/restore,' then to backup you'd pick back up. To restore you'd pick restore and then navigate to your previous backup. It seemed pretty self explanatory to me. Any additional questions? Why'd you try to take off bootstrap? Seems to me if you're running it and gtg then there's no real reason to change it...especially if you already backed up your system...
I removed it bc I read that safestrap is well, safer.

When I selected the backup file while in recovery.....The only options on the screen was"..." underneath it. How do you initiate the backup???

here is a pic of my old razr...it is plugged into usb, notice the white notification light. the pc will not recognize the razr. Nothing I do will turn it on. No splash screen, nothing. When I plug it into the charger I can get the Moto splash start up screen and a pic of the battery but it has a question mark on it.

Last edited:

grimloktt

Reaction score
I removed it bc I read that safestrap is well, safer.

When I selected the backup file while in recovery.....The only options on the screen was"..." underneath it. How do you initiate the backup???

...I also updated my response above...

I'll shoot you a PM as to not further hijack this thread.