how to root 4.5.621/622 for Droid 2 a955 & Droid R2D2 a957

Tutor

Reaction score
Hey...
I appreciate all the assistance... I'll play around with it... try and backup what I can, I really only wanted root to do good backups and clean up the phone.
Thanks again for walking me through the steps. (ya probably have less hair than I do about now lol...)
Laters...
Tutor

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
usb debugging is selected as in for the phone not to go to sleep...
usb debugging allows pc special access to the phone
verizon describes it as
USB debugging is intended for development purposes only. It can be used to copy data between the computer and the device, install applications on the device without notification, and read log data.
stay awake is just below it

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
you didn't try voodoo ota rootkeeper, or have it installed with a su backup, when you took the update?

Tutor

Reaction score
Sorry I took a break from this... no, I don't have rootkeeper on the phone. I keep reading the instructions stating to flash, the cd/iso should be doing that before the reboots not me correct ?

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
correct, most of the steps are automatically done by program

could be something on phone preventing program to work
which means wipe data and/or SBF

or try a different pc, usb cable, usb port

kanyonkritter

Reaction score
ok when booting the iso image during intial start up and after boot baby boot and the yellow dot I get thjis msg. "no supported pnp devices or pci cards"
"probe legacy drives for sound cards" <Yes> <No> the "y" in the yes just flash I cant select anything or move forward from this point....any sugestions?

kanyonkritter

Reaction score
btw I am really hating motorola now I picked up the D2 because my first one was the best smart phone Ive ever had simply because of the wifi radio and available roms....had a razr, d2g, og droid, htc thunderbolt, htc incredible. Out of my ignorance I bought this D2 without knowing moto has locked down all of their bootloaders WTFH moto......HTC has a dev website and they will unlock the bootloader for what ever HTC phone you have no questions asked. Who wants to buy a D2 very clean and a great battery? I'm going back to HTC:angry:

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
if press n and enter doesn't work
did you verify md5 check sum, if yes and it was correct
then you may need to run on a different pc, or change from usb to cd or vise versa

kanyonkritter

Reaction score
md5sum checks out and i really dont have any access to any other machine :-(

havent tried usb though I missed that...ugh but i have no flash drive.

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
if you have a good/newer pc you can try
Oracle VM VirtualBox and set up a virtrual system to run the iso in windows
install oracle vm, select new, next, enter name like "Droid x 621 root",
operating system: linux
version: ubuntu select next
default base: memory size is 512 MB, that should be fine, if your pc has lots of memory may want to bump up to 1gb select next
create a new virtual disk: check start-up disk, create new hard disk, select next
virtual disk creation wizard: select vdi (virtual disk image) select next
storage: select Dynamically allocatedselect next
location and size: leave default location, unless you want it some where else, default size is 8bg, need less than 512mb, leave size unless you have a small hard disk, and don't think it uses the space, it's just to prevent vm from taking up too much storage
Summary: select create
Summary: select create

select your vm, select run,
first run wizard:select next
select media:
select folder with green arrow, findDroid2_D2G_DX_DX2-RootCD-2012.iso on hard drive, select open, select next,
summary: select start
boot baby... boot: select enter to start (should start automatically, but selecting enter will start it faster)
select your device and enter (use qwerty numbers, mouse does not work)
enable usb debugging and usb charge only select enter to continueselect vm's Devices tab/ usb devices/ click on "motorola xxxxxx" (name will change, ever time phone changes modes,
program should run and reboot phone to bootloader or ask you to reboot to bootloader
ever time phone changes modes, you need to select vm's Devices tab/ usb devices/ click on "motorola xxxxxx"
if program stalls, select vm's Devices tab/ usb devices/ click on "motorola xxxxxx"
otherwise just follow on screen instructions

kanyonkritter

Reaction score
wow thank you for the time you have put in to help me on this...I appreciate it. You know how frustration can keep you from solving your problem? Well I finally just said forget I dont even care about rooting my phone anymore............then it was like an anvil was dropped on my head. I was using a wireless keyboard and that image wouldnt have drivers for it....duh :redface:. Anyways I have been away from away from messing with moto phones for awhile now....I am on .621 and the EzSBF file is for .629. I was prompted that I am better off without .629, what are the differences between .621 and .629? and do you have a link where I can obtain an the .621 Ezsbf or even an earlier Ezsbf than that???