[How To] Root 4.5.621 with magic md5 (does not require Milestone SBF)

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
updated many times see change log

[ROOT] Framaroot, a one-click .apk to root
I have verified it works with these Motorola devices running android 2.3.4
Droid 2 (a955), Droid 2 Global (a956), R2D2 (a957), & Droid X (MB810)

just download, allow unknown sources, install, open, select top root method (Gimli), reboot phone, done, no pc needed
[video=youtube_share;-5TmP15hfQU]http://youtu.be/-5TmP15hfQU[/video]

bhigham/beh modified the root method
based on New D2 root method for stock 2.3.4 (621/622) found (Droid2, R2D2)

How this works
Originally Posted by phifc
There's an exploit in loadpreinstall.sh. It compares md5 sum files of preinstalled apps and if they're different, copies the md5 to the local cache. The preinstall just has an empty file in app/ so it will parse the md5 for it. Instead of an md5 sum, it contains a local.prop that allows adb root shell. So the system thinks it's copying the md5sum to the cache when it bounces off the symlink and overwrites the /data/local.prop, giving adb root on next reboot

originally posted by bhigham/beh
Since all these devices (Droid 2/R2D2/D2G/DX2 and DX seem to be vulnerable to the same exploit found by phifc at

http://rootzwiki.com...nd-droid2-r2d2/
I have assembled rooting methods for all of them in EzSbf style CD. I have tested it on my D2G, and the same method has been tested by multiple users on the D2/R2D2, and has worked fine.
Credit for this method go to phifc, djrbliss, and the others who developed the method.
I have simply taken the method, and assembled the tools.
Credit for the idea behind the CD method should go to 1KDS, as I have mostly patterned this CD after his method.
Credit should also go to Skrilax_CZ, as without his Motorola Android Firmware (De)packer, we wouldn't be able to have a 55 meg CD that covers multiple devices.
Special thanks also to themib for testing and troubleshooting on the DroidX2. In fact, since I don't have a DX2, he actually did a majority of the work in finding a method that would work (the method for the D2 and D2G doesn't quite work), and then we worked together to get it assembled and working.

This CD is for the D2,R2D2, D2G, and DX on Android version 2.3.4, and the DX2 on 2.3.5.
One note if you have troubles with it not working. It might be necessary to disconnect the phone after it flashes the preinstall and reboots. It seems that some phones may not complete the reboot process before being rebooted by ADB, so you may need to disconnect the phone when it starts booting, and let it boot fully before hooking it back up. when hooked back up, it will be rebooted, and should go on with the process like normal.

Of course, like all other things here, I have done my best on this, but there are no guarantees, and anything you do on your phone is at your own risk.
So, without further ado, here is a link for the CD
http://www.mediafire...mim304k214kl41h
and the md5 is
7baee9c34f6ef7ad0b4fa219ae387c68
mirrors posted Magic MD5 Root 2.3.4 for D2, R2D2, D2G, DX and 2.3.5 for DX2 - Google Docs

MD5 & SHA-1 Checksum Utility: verify the hash checksum to ensure the file integrity is correct with the matching file (verify the file was downloaded correct)
orMD5 Checker
md5 checker.PNG

using MD5 & SHA-1 Checksum Utility
1 open utility
2 File: browse for file you are comparing checksum
3 Hash: paste checksum
4 verify
md5 checker1.PNG

what is ezSBF?
original [TOOL] ezSBF (not for 2.3.4)

Don't let the word Linux scare you, this is just a cd you burn, nothing installs to your pc. Once you burn this CD you are ready to SBF flash anywhere you have a computer, no net connection needed to download any files.
This is an .iso file. It is a complete Linux operating system that you will download, burn to CD (or USB) then boot your pc from CD or USB, this allows your pc to reboot into a different operating system.

Instructions (Mac):
Download .iso
Use Disk Utility (built in) to burn iso file to a CD (instructions)
Shut computer down
Hold c key, push power and hold c until you see the Linux OS start
Hit enter at the yellow "boot baby... boot" screen
You will see yellow dots for 3-5 minutes then the script will start

Instructions (Windows):
Download .iso
Burn iso image to a disk (Instructions, Windows 7 - Vista and XP) or (Load to a USB flash drive)
Reboot PC
Hit F12 (sometimes F8 or esc) during boot to go to boot menu (possibly google search how to boot your specific pc from CDROM)
Select boot from CDROM (or USB if you used a flash drive)
Hit enter at the yellow "boot baby... boot" screen
You will see yellow dots for 3-5 minutes then the script will start

Live USB Instructions (Windows):
(Instructions from pendrivelinux.com)(thanks)
Download
UNetBootin for Windows
Download your favorite Linux ISO
Double click the Unetbootin Executable to start the program
(1) Click the Diskimage radio box
(2) browse to select your ISO
(3) Set your target USB drive
(4) click OK to start the creation

unetbootin-live-usb-iso.png

(5) After the USB drive is done select reboot.
(6) During boot enter the boot menu and change USB to boot first, save and reboot.
(7) When booting from UNetbootin select SliTaz

You will now be in the script and ready to flash.

basically read onscreen directions

select DX
don't use numbers on right side of your keyboard, just use the ones above qwerty

turn phone on, connect to pc with usb cable

check usb debugging (settings/apps/development)
select charge only usb mode in top status bar

press continue
adb will push
Code:
data/local.prop /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5
program will prompt you to
manually reboot phone to bootloader (Hold volume up+down buttons and power button, or hold Vol.Down and Camera and wait for the screen to flash)
program will will be flash repacked sbf (less than 50mb)
Program will reboot phone twice, very important (reboot just replaces the local.prop, but the old local.prop is still in memory, till second reboot)
adb pushes su,superuser, and busybox
program will reboot to recovery,
manually wipe cache (should auto reboot to recovery, at android andy press both volume buttons, if it doesn't press home button and hold it in then press your power button, hold it in also till you see a triangle on the screen w/ android andy then press both volume buttons)
then select reboot
rooted

error info
when running the program you may see these errors

rm failed for /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5 no such file or directory
no root.img.gz no such file or directory
rm failed for /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5 read only file system

that is fine, it will still work

after flashing files in bootloader, phone reboots to bootloader, instead of normal android operating system..... now what?try disconnecting usb, pull battery,wait a few secs, replace battery, reboot, wait for reboot to complete, reconnect usb

Using Oracle VM VirtualBox, and Magic MD5 root iso

If you planning on making nandroid backups or flashing roms
read [HOW TO] Install/Use Droid 2 Bootstrap

My Lists

Magic MD5 Root 2.3.4 for D2, R2D2, D2G, DX and 2.3.5 for DX2 - Google Docs

sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links: FAQs, Guides, Rooting, SBFs, ROMs... - Google Docs

Changelog
13 sept 2012: added bootloader and recovery info
02 Oct 2012 added mac info
13 Dec 2012 major rewrite
26 April 2013 added Framaroot
27 April 2013 added framaroot video

mgaylor

Reaction score
I'm hoping you guys can help. i bought a used DX off ebay that already has .621 on it ive downloaded and burned the cd and have tried to root my dx several times but the first thing it says is rm failed for /data/preinstall_md5/magic md5/magic.md5. No such file or directory. and then proceeds thru the rest of the rooting process saying the installation of SU and everything else has failed. Any thoughts???

Android Version

Baseband Version
BP_C_01.09.15p

Kernel Version
2.6.32.9-g1282440
mcbk83@il93lnxdroid08#1

Build Number
4.5.1_57_DX8-51

pirdroid1

Reaction score
Did you set USB Debugging and set the USB mode to "charge only"? If you did those things, then I'd have no idea, since my DX is running exactly the same version of everything you posted. I ran from a USB stick rather than a CD, but I can't imagine that having anything to do with it.

netrecov

Reaction score
i tried this but the part where you reboot your phone i hold the buttons and get stuck on a black screen that says boot loader 30.04 and nothing is happening on pc

alan081954

Reaction score
I started with this:
Android Version

Baseband Version
BP_C_01.09.15p

Kernel Version
2.6.32.9-g1282440
mcbk83@il93lnxdroid08#1

Build Number
4.5.1_57_DX8-51

I did the above and it rebooted and all, and I still have the same as above. Did I miss something? I did the debug thing also. This is my first time at this. Any help at all would be appreciated.

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
rooting doesn't change system version or kernel
it gives you root permissions, so you can change system files and settings
make sure superuser was installed, check to see if you can update binaries, click update anyways if no update
should get a superuser pop up that says allow or deny, tab allow
if you don't get that popup you may not be rooted

alan081954

Reaction score
rooting doesn't change system version or kernel
it gives you root permissions, so you can change system files and settings
make sure superuser was installed, check to see if you can update binaries, click update anyways if no update
should get a superuser pop up that says allow or deny, tab allow
if you don't get that popup you may not be rooted

my system show "superuser" installed but when i click on it,it just says no apps

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
that's the log, you haven't used it yet so there's nothing in the log
try opening app then tap settings button

alan081954

Reaction score
I did that and get a menu with a lot of greyed out and some black items that can be clicked. I apologize for all the questions,never done this before. Does this mean I am rooted? If so,what now? do I install something different?

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
in preferences, scroll down to general/ su binary v3.03.2 tap to check for updates

moldedheroes

Reaction score
i just followed this thread's instructions and i am running the same version as alan081954. overall my phone seems to be up to par as before. i have my email and so forth. when i tried installing some new apps from google play [wifi tether apps], my screen shows the app with a bar infinetely waiting for a wifi signal which results in me not downloading the app. i do have the superuser app from the reboot. where's the settings button and preference buttons located that were mentioned in this thread following the directions to open up superuser. any suggestions where to go from here?

moldedheroes

Reaction score
ok, 1st off, thank you for your quick response. i went to superuser on my apps screen and i can scroll left or right. my options on the top of the screen are APPS & LOG. no settings option. i then went to SETTINGS>APPLICATIONS>MANAGE APPLICATIONS>ALL>SUPERUSER & did not see any SETTINGS option. is there any chance that superuser is blocking me from downloading apps?

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
no superuser, will not block downloads