how to root 4.5.621/622 for Droid 2 a955 & Droid R2D2 a957

aracely

Reaction score
Here is the story. I had an app to organize photos but it was making my phone misbehave so i uninstalled it. I went into my files and deleted the file for that app considering i wasn't going to get it again but as i deleted the file i noticed it was taking too long to delete and then the next day when i was looking for a photo i seen my photos where wiped out (completely gone) until i seen app that claim to get them back but they all say my phone needs to be rooted.

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
aracely said:
Im trying to root my phone since i've read that this is the only way to retrieve deleted photos. Ive tried to use several ap but i get no where. Is there somewhere i can take it to get rooted? Im not a computer wizz here so any help tip ect. Is more then appropriated

what system version is phone running?
3.3.4/4.5.621

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
have you tried the muti device cd
or the 621 ezSBF with root cd?

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
I d/l'ed and created a cd using the D2 4.5.621 use ezSBF & Root 2.3.4/4.5.621 link and ran the program and still didn't get my phone rooted. Ran it again and again, still no go. The phone is a Droid 2 (not Global or Incredible) just a standard droid 2... I'm checking my root status with Titanium backup pro (which I still have on my phone from when I did have it rooted prior to the last update verzion had sent out that killed my ability to root.
I even attempted to switch the phone into pc mode and run the rooting cd that way.
Any ideas?
Tutor
did you get any errors

edit:
is it installing superuser app?

your doing this

Reboot PC
Hit F12 (sometimes F8 or esc) during boot to go to boot menu
Select drive image is on
wait for yellow "boot baby... boot" screen
You will see yellow dots for 3-5 minutes then the script will start
just follow on screen instructions

select D2 for multi device root cd or /select root for the Droid2_621_SBF-and-Root CD
don't use numbers on right side of you keyboard, just use the ones above qwerty

turn phone on, connect to pc with usb cable

check usb debugging (settings/apps/development)
select charge only usb mode

press continue
adb will pushCode:

data/local.prop /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5

reboot phone to bootloader
flash repacked sbf (less than 50mb)
reboot twice, very important (reboot just replaces the local.prop, but the old local.prop is still in memory, till second reboot)
adb pushes su,superuser, and busybox
reboot to recovery, wipe cache
reboot normally
rooted

Last edited:

Tutor

Reaction score
re's
Just attempted (3 times) to use the link on page 1 of this thread after burning it as in iso to a cd...
First off after the pc reboots on the cd it checks the pc's system and asks what sound card I want to configure... no biggie I just hit enter, it then checks and see's the phone runs the start up script asks which phone... I select option 1 (droid 2/r2r2)... it mounts (I guess) and has me go to bootloader... it then "erases data" and I wait and wait as it installs... after about 10 minutes of watching the percentage count up it says it will reboot the phone then continue with the rooting process... the phone reboots... but the program just sits there smiling at me as if it is still waiting for the phone to do something.
I've attempted to rebot the phone a couple of times thinking the program "just didn't see the phone rebooting" or something but nothing ever happens... I finally use the ctrl-alt-del to get the pc out of just sitting there (after removing the cd)... I am using windows 7 but that shouldn't really matter since it's booting off the cd anyway.
Tutor
After the

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
you know there is three different iso files in op
sound like you downloaded the Droid2_D2G_DX_DX2-RootCD-2012.iso yes?
he phone reboots..
to android os (it booted normally), or back to bootloader?
reboot phone to bootloader
flash repacked sbf (less than 50mb)
reboot twice, very important (reboot just replaces the local.prop, but the old local.prop is still in memory, till second reboot)
program sticks, try toggling usb debugging
usb debugging (settings/apps/development)
or reboot phone manually

Tutor

Reaction score
Actually your correct... I did d/l the global version this time... BUT what I had been using (to my credit) orginally was the correct version 213megs big I believe).. when using that version it would boot off the cd as before... asking the sound card question but doesn't ask which phone I have... I believe the options were flash sbf, root phone, or shutdown... those 3 options.
The program would run, have me go to bootloader, erase/install (the waiting percentage thingy)... reboot the phone (twice) have me go and wipe cache, restart phone and still no root.
At the end of the rooting process it does show errors that I files can't be re-written or are hidden... I don't know how to do a screenshot while outside of windows runningI take it that this program(cd) could be run windowed so I can do the screenshots to sow the errors...?
Tutor

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
Actually your correct... I did d/l the global version this time... BUT what I had been using (to my credit) orginally was the correct version 213megs big I believe).. when using that version it would boot off the cd as before... asking the sound card question but doesn't ask which phone I have... I believe the options were flash sbf, root phone, or shutdown... those 3 options.
The program would run, have me go to bootloader, erase/install (the waiting percentage thingy)... reboot the phone (twice) have me go and wipe cache, restart phone and still no root.
At the end of the rooting process it does show errors that I files can't be re-written or are hidden... I don't know how to do a screenshot while outside of windows runningI take it that this program(cd) could be run windowed so I can do the screenshots to sow the errors...?
Tutor
. I did d/l the global version this time...
the Droid2_D2G_DX_DX2-RootCD-2012.iso is a muti device root program, just choose your device it works fine
At the end of the rooting process it does show errors that I files can't be re-written or are hidden.
still no super user app?
you may have to use the SBF option first

your checking usb debugging (settings/apps/development)
and selecting charge only usb mode?

also have you used MD5 & SHA-1 Checksum Utility: verify the hash checksum to ensure the file integrity is correct with the matching file
I added md5 hashs to op

Last edited:

Tutor

Reaction score
the Droid2_D2G_DX_DX2-RootCD-2012.iso is a muti device root program, just choose your device it works fine

This is the iso that just hangs after the phone reboots and doesn't do anything after the phone reboots the first time.

still no super user app?
you may have to use the SBF option first
I have the su app from a prior rooting (before the last update ota from verzion... running it shows busybox, ES File Explorer, Superuser, and Titanium Backup
running Titanium Backup gives an error that rooting is needed to work and a red fail for being a rooted device.

usb debugging is selected as in for the phone not to go to sleep... I attempted both a charge only and as per the instructions in PC mode... if I remember... in pc mode the program acted the same as when I used the multi device program and never seen the device after it rebooted (but I may be mistaken since I've attempted this a couple dozen times now).

also have you used MD5 & SHA-1 Checksum Utility: verify the hash checksum to ensure the file integrity is correct with the matching file
I added md5 hashs to op

I have not tried this... since I really don't know where to locate/determine where to find hash sizes at.
Tutor

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
This is the iso that just hangs after the phone reboots and doesn't do anything after the phone reboots the first time.

I have the su app from a prior rooting (before the last update ota from verzion... running it shows busybox, ES File Explorer, Superuser, and Titanium Backup
running Titanium Backup gives an error that rooting is needed to work and a red fail for being a rooted device.

usb debugging is selected as in for the phone not to go to sleep... I attempted both a charge only and as per the instructions in PC mode... if I remember... in pc mode the program acted the same as when I used the multi device program and never seen the device after it rebooted (but I may be mistaken since I've attempted this a couple dozen times now).

I have not tried this... since I really don't know where to locate/determine where to find hash sizes at.
Tutor
just because titanium doesn't work, doesn't mean your not rooted
try updating superuser binaries
open superuser/settings preferences/ general/Su binary tap to update
it will say current version already installed click updated anyways
or it will say new version available click update
if supersuser can update you are rooted

or check superuser log and allow titanium, , sometimes the popup doesn't work right first time, and times out

Tutor

Reaction score
just because titanium doesn't work, doesn't mean your not rooted
try updating superuser binaries
open superuser/settings preferences/ general/Su binary tap to update
it will say current version already installed click updated anyways
or it will say new version available click update
if supersuser can update you are rooted

or check superuser log and allow titanium, , sometimes the popup doesn't work right first time, and times out
Su app downloaded new binary - okay
Gaining root access - fail

Tutor

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
I would say use SBf and/or wipe data

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
again

I added md5 hashs to op (original post)