How to root Droid 2

imtheconvict

Reaction score
Check ur device manager make sure the drivers are all installed correctly I couldn't get them to install. I changed my phone to data mode or whatever its called and in windows poped up with a virtual cd drive I installed the moto drivers in there and it worked

Jedidr0id

Reaction score
I'm must be losing my computer touch, but I tried and I'm really lost. I can't get past this step:

rocess:
- Open command prompt
- cd c:/wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is
- adb devices (to verify the connection)
- cd c:/Droid2Root

When I type adb my cmd prompt says the command is not recognized. I must doing something wrong. I have downloaded the sdk tool and extracted, I already have the motorola drives and I got the droid2root extracted. I really need a simpler step by step walkthrough.

Thanks, I read it but I do not have the Path variable on my system environments. I was wondering for the sdk, do I just simply unpack it or do I have to run the sdk setup file? I dunno why this is taking me so much time.

Last edited:

Jedidr0id

Reaction score
This is where I am stuck at, can anyone help out? Many thanks.

C:\>cd\

C:\>cd android-sdk\tools

C:\android-sdk\tools>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
xxxxxxxxxxxx device

C:\android-sdk\tools>cd c:\droid2root

c:\Droid2Root>adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

c:\Droid2Root>

Last edited:
Reaction score
Make sure you are trying to install the right drivers, 32 bit wont work on 64 bit windows and vice versa

Yes you need to run the setup file then let it download the updates and archives cause that's how it communicates with android. If you notice in the list there is each version number of android.

Jedidr0id

Reaction score
Okay I got the adb path working. I'm stuck at adb shell, I got the $ instead of the prompt #.

Jedidr0id

Reaction score
Okay I finally finished all the steps. How do I know if its root or not? I clicked the superuser app and all I get a a blank screen. I never got the superuser accept screen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
- Open commnad prompt
- adh shell (you should now have a # prompt)
- exit

If you have the # then you have root.

Reaction score
Okay I finally finished all the steps. How do I know if its root or not? I clicked the superuser app and all I get a a blank screen. I never got the superuser accept screen.

By having the superuser app at all means you are rooted. When you open it up its blank screen cause it hasnt authorized any apps yet.

Download adfree, root explorer, setcpu, wifi tether, or any other root requring app then you will get the allow window prompt and after you hit accept then it will be in the list when you open the superuser app

Jedidr0id

Reaction score

By having the superuser app at all means you are rooted. When you open it up its blank screen cause it hasnt authorized any apps yet.

Download adfree, root explorer, setcpu, wifi tether, or any other root requring app then you will get the allow window prompt and after you hit accept then it will be in the list when you open the superuser app

Thanks, I downloaded adfree and it works. Sorry for all the posts but I was worried about messing up and bricking my phone.

Jedidr0id

Reaction score
I installed setcup, adsfree, Barnacle, and WiFi Tether. Any other interesting apps to install?

Quie2Droid

Reaction score
Check ur device manager make sure the drivers are all installed correctly I couldn't get them to install. I changed my phone to data mode or whatever its called and in windows poped up with a virtual cd drive I installed the moto drivers in there and it worked

I'm stuck with no devices listed also. How do you switch your phone to data mode or pc mode. Thanks a bunch.

Never mind, I figured it out.

Last edited:

Quie2Droid

Reaction score
after I finish the first part and type "adb shell" I get the $ not the #. Any ideas?

Update: I can get to the # prompt, then it says I can't push superuser.apk as system is read only.

Okay, I finally got it by going to the original thread on XDA and noticed there was a lot of command lines left out of the first post of this thread. You have to push the files, superuser and su to the sd card before you can copy them back to system. That is the only way it would work for me as those files are in the tools directory and for some reason it wouldn't let me push them to system that way. Most of that paragraph of command on XDA is not it the first post. Maybe this will help someone else.

Last edited:

MechaDoozer

Reaction score
As Quie2Droid said, there are some steps missing. Following the first post I got a read-only error on the third chunk of commands.

gonnadie4thegov provided the other commands needed on the first page.

Differences are in bold. Hope I remember how I did this :) If there is an error let me know and I'll edit this post.

Setup:
- Install adb (here) and Motorola drivers (here)
- Download attached archive
- Extract to a directory, I used c:\Droid2Root
- Make sure you have USB degugging enabled
- Change connection to PC Mode

Process:
- Open command prompt
- adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
- adb shell
- cd data/local/tmp
- chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
- ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

- let the process run until it returns you to c:/Droid2Root
- adh shell (you should now have a # prompt)
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- exit

- adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
- adb push su /system/bin/su
- adb push busybox /system/bin/busybox
- adb shell
- cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
- cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
- cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox

- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- exit

this is my first post, by the way. Hi droid forums!
Oh, and thanks to those who made all this possible :)

Last edited:

Quie2Droid

Reaction score
I am going to just cut and paste from XDA: This is what I followed and worked like a charm. I believe the process is a little different than what is already posted. Can a Mod update the OP, please? I hope it's okay that I do this, but seems someone else will need it posted exactly like it was done on XDA as I needed to run this exactly like it is.

Connect your phone to your pc, make sure debugging mode is set, then make sure you are set to pc mode when you drag the notification bar down, click on the USB connected notification and select "PC MODE"! Then follow below.

All credit goes to Sebastian Krahmer at C skills.

***NOTE: Proceed at your own risk. I and the providers of this code are not responsible for anything you do to your phone!***

Setup:
- Install adb (here) and Motorola drivers for windows(32-bit or 64-bit)
- Download attached archive
- Extract to a directory, I used c:\Droid2Root
- Make sure you have USB degugging enabled
- Change connection to PC Mode

Process:
- Open command prompt
- adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
- adb push su /sdcard/su
- adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
- adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
- adb shell
- cd data/local/tmp

- ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
- let the process run until it 'kicks' you out (may take a minute or two)
- adb shell (you should now have a # prompt, if not return to ./rage step above)

- exit
- exit

I'm sure there are certain steps that could be streamlined or eliminated, so please feel free to make a suggestion and I'll edit the post.

Additional thanks to @rainabba and AllDroid.org for their excellent Droid X rooting tutorial, which assisted me greatly in this process.

Last edited:

Jedidr0id

Reaction score
I'll also add my experience to help others.

On the this part:

Process:
- Open command prompt
- adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk If you are getting a message like invalid command for adb you have to set adb to your path. This is another process. Go to this site for help on setting adb to path.
What Is ADB And How To Install It? [Android]
- adb push su /sdcard/su
- adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
- adb shell After you type this it'll show a $ sign, no worries, type the rest of the commands below one at a time.
- cd data/local/tmp

./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
- let the process run until it 'kicks' you out (may take a minute or two) wait for this to bring you back to c:\droid2root, took me less than a minute.

cd c:/wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is
- adb shell (you should now have a # prompt, if not return to ./rage step above) after you type adb shell it should show a # instead of $

type each command below and when you press enter it'll dupe what you typed, just keep on typing each line and enter
- exit
- exit

To test if it was rooted sucessfully, on the apps market download a free app that requires root like Titanium backup. Once downloaded and installed, load the app and you'll get a screen saying Superuser is asking for permission. Accept it, congrats your Droid 2 is rooted.