Help with rooting using a Mac

creaky

Reaction score
I've been having trouble rooting with a Mac. The instructions I used were from [HOW TO] Unlock Bootloader & Root GSM Nexus - xda-developers with some supplemental info from sbenson's sticky in this subforum. USB debugging is checked. The problem is when I get into the bootloader and try to type the commands in Terminal to unlock it I get this:

tcsh: /Users/jeckardt/Desktop/r3-galaxynexus-superboot/: Permission denied.

Now, I think what's happening is that I've not loaded the MTP onto my computer (unfortunately, that software only supports OS 10.5 and up and I'm on 10.4). Or, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance....

bgrubb7

Reaction score
I just used the droid-life method to unlock... only not word for word, due to being on a Mac

I first installed the Java JDK. Then I downloaded the SDK and extracted on the root level of my HD.

double click "android" in the tools folder and install the SDK-platform-tools then your ready to go. After that it's pretty much follow the droid-life steps, only add "/android-sdk-macosx/platform-tools/" in front of the commands

In terminal: /android-sdk-macosx/platform-tools/adb reboot bootloader

Then again in the terminal:
/android-sdk-macosx/platform-tools/
fastboot oem unlock

On reboot, make sure you unplug from the mac, then it will probably boot loop a few times before starting up.

bgrubb7

Reaction score
Well, unlocking was not a problem, but so far I can't temp load the CWM in order to root. When I try to use the command:

/android-sdk-macosx/platform-tools/fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img

it tells me: "
error: cannot load recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img"

hmm...

bgrubb7

Reaction score
I never could get it to work... so I ended up having to find a PC and used these methods. I just skipped right to the root part, since I was already unlocked.

bgrubb7

Reaction score
Well I can't flash anything... I installed the new radios, which i though made things worse, so I tried to reflash the stock radios, but when i do I get the same error. Doesn't matter what I try to flash I get: "cannot load..."

??? I tried trashing and setting up the SDK again, but that didn't work.

OP
creaky

creaky

Reaction score
Hey, all. Thanks for the feedback. I did get it to work - it was problems with the terminal commands on my part. I will try to post detailed instructions later today.

bgrubb7

Reaction score
Hey, all. Thanks for the feedback. I did get it to work - it was problems with the terminal commands on my part. I will try to post detailed instructions later today.
Great! If it's not too much trouble include any specifics on how you setup the SDK... I'm starting to think my setup is the problem. I just unzipped the SDK, moved it to where I wanted it. Launched android and installed the platform-tools.

I managed to root using the PDANet method, but I am a little nervous not being able to successfully flash from the SDK, in case I need to return to stock/unlocked for warranty purposes...

OP
creaky

creaky

Reaction score
Great! If it's not too much trouble include any specifics on how you setup the SDK... I'm starting to think my setup is the problem. I just unzipped the SDK, moved it to where I wanted it. Launched android and installed the platform-tools.

I managed to root using the PDANet method, but I am a little nervous not being able to successfully flash from the SDK, in case I need to return to stock/unlocked for warranty purposes...

Check out this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ga...-root-using-mac-instructions.html#post1932157

goosedeath

Reaction score
Creaky, and all others, I noticed something while unlocking and rooting my second Nexus. At least from the two places I downloaded the stock images to unroot and relock, there are two variations. One I believe is for the GSM phone, the other is for our CDMA phones. The easy way to tell if you're trying to use the wrong one is look at your bootloader. It should say somewhere "toro". Do not try and flash the maguro files. Didn't hurt my sexy Nexi Lexy any, but I did get a few error/fail prompts in terminal. I was able to reflash the correct "toro" files, and I'm rerooted and unlocked. I also encountered a problem w/ restoring backups from cwm on my new phone. Got a MD5 sum mismatch message. I unrooted, relocked, unlocked, relocked, unlocked and rerooted. After all that mess, my backups restored just fine. I'm just giving a quick synapsis of what I've experianced. Yours may be different. lol:happy3: