Unlock bootloader and root using a Mac - instructions

creaky

Reaction score
Due to the excellent work of forum member sbenson and Evostance over at xda (and a little help from forum member goosedeath and AlexKP at androidforums) I was able to get my CDMA Galaxy Nexus rooted easily using a Mac. I was new to terminal commands but after a few missteps I was able to get everything working. Below is a set of instructions I used and it worked for me. I’m not an expert but I hope that these instructions help anyone who is having problems. I’m not responsible for anything that happens to your device. Many of these instructions are lifted directly from sbenson and Evostance so all credit goes to them.

When you use a Mac you don’t need any additional drivers like you do with a PC. Just plug it in via the USB cable.

Also, you don’t need the MTP drivers for file transfers, either. I’m on OS 10.4 so I assume that other OS versions will behave the same.

OK, here we go....

1) Download the superboot file here: r3-galaxynexus-superboot.zip

2) Extract the contents of the superboot zip file into a folder.

3) Put the folder, called r3-galaxynexys-superboot, in your home directory (I think that’s what it’s called – it’s the thing that looks like a house with your user name in the finder).

4) Make sure Nexus is fully charged

5) Enable USB Debugging on the Nexus (This is found by going to Settings > Developer options)

6) Power your device off

7) Connect your phone to your computer via the USB cable

8) Put device into the bootloader by holding down Vol Up + Vol Down + Power. It should look like this: http://cdn.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/nexus-bootloader1.jpg

9) On the computer, open up terminal (found in Applications>Utilities)

10) When you open up the terminal you’ll see something that looks like this:

Last login: Fri Dec 23 11:12:36 on console
[Macintosh-3:~] creaky%

The last thing before the % should be the name of your home directory. My home directory (the house thing) is called creaky.

11) To unlock the bootloader (WARNING: THIS WILL WIPE YOUR DEVICE), after the % in that line, type the following lines of code, hitting return after each line (in the second line, type YOUR username WITHOUT the brackets):

cd /Users/
cd [your user name-see above instruction!]
cd r3-galaxynexus-superboot
./fastboot-mac oem unlock

12) You should get a warning on your phone. Use the volume keys to select an option, and press the power button to confirm it. It should look like this: http://cdn.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/galaxy-nexus-bootloader.jpg

13) The terminal should say:
... OKAY

14) Your bootloader on the nexus should now say that it is unlocked at the bottom (Lock State - Unlocked [near the bottom] as well as "Fastboot Status - Okay")

15) To root your device, type the following code into the terminal, hitting return after each line:

chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh
./install-superboot-mac.sh

16) The terminal should say:

downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY
booting... OKAY

17) You will now see the black Google screen with the lock icon at the bottom

18) Your phone should reboot automatically after a couple minutes on the Google screen. If, and only if, your phone doesn't reboot automatically after 5 minutes, unplug the usb cable and perform a battery pull

19) Put your battery back in if necessary and power on your device

20) Be patient while it boots up, and don't worry - first boot may take up to 5 minutes (as sbenson suggests, remember to breathe!)

21) You will need to set up your phone now and log into Google, etc.

22) Confirm Superuser app in your app tray

23) Open Superuser, go into settings (top right, wrench icon), scroll down and "tap to check for updates." Tap "update anyway." You should get a red warning for busybox, but everything else should be green

24) Open up the market and download the BusyBox installer app

25) Install Busybox following the instructions in the app

26) You should now be able to reboot your phone and it will have root

Now that you’re unlocked and rooted, go here and get instructions on how to get Clockwork recovery on your Nexus: [HOW-TO] CWM on LTE Version through Rom Manager - RootzWiki

Many, many thanks to all cited above and to Paul O’Brien for creating superboot!

Last edited:

bgrubb7

Reaction score
Awesome! So you don't even need to setup the SDK? It looks like everything you need is in the superboot folder.

OP
creaky

creaky

Reaction score
Awesome! So you don't even need to setup the SDK? It looks like everything you need is in the superboot folder.

That's right - everything you need is in the superboot file! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

bgrubb7

Reaction score
Well, I already rooted using the PDANet method, but I might try re-flashing the stock radio using the fastboot here. Actually I think I see my error when I tried it the first time. I wasn't "cd'ing" in to the /user/ first. I tend to forget about the hidden directory structure that lies beneath OSX. I think that adb couldn't find the image I was trying to flash.

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
Thanks! This is exactly what i was looking for before my phone comes on Wednesday! I had downloaded everything for the adb method, but it took some time, and a lot of workarounds, so i was not too confident in whether it was going to work or not.
One question....since unlocking tests the phone, wipes it, do i need to set the phone up at all before i unlock and root? Meaning, can i open the box, charge it, and plug it into the computer to unlock before even logging into google?
Thank you for this tutorial....hopefully us Mac users can keep a few thread s on how to do the basics with a Mac.
The next one should be, "how to put the phone back to stock," followed by, "so you bricked your nexus?"

Thanks again!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
creaky

creaky

Reaction score
You are most welcome! Glad this is helpful.

Yes, I'd like to see Mac users post tutorials, tips, and advice to this forum. Keep it coming and good luck to all with your modding!

sent from my rooted nexus

Last edited:
OP
creaky

creaky

Reaction score
One question....since unlocking tests the phone, wipes it, do i need to set the phone up at all before i unlock and root? Meaning, can i open the box, charge it, and plug it into the computer to unlock before even logging into google?

I would set up the phone just to make sure USB debugging is enabled. I seem to remember that the phone came that way but best to be sure. Don't bother doing anything to the phone except activating since everything will be wiped when you unlock the bootloader.

skaman9876

Reaction score
Used this method last night...very successful without a hitch no battery pull. I am now rocking droid Th3ory's zygot3. Couldn'T be happier with it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

ea12287

Reaction score
I personally prefer using the mac for this now. I tried setting up a PC for this process (cause I thought I had to use a PC) and I could not get the Samsung USB drivers to work properly. I had the bootloader unlocked and the phone rooted in half the time it took me to try and set up the PC. My tips for anyone trying to use this method is drag and drop the folders into the terminal box when changing directories (so you know your path is correct), copy and paste file names into terminal (same reason as before) and be aware of your spacing in your commands.

OP
creaky

creaky

Reaction score
I personally prefer using the mac for this now. I tried setting up a PC for this process (cause I thought I had to use a PC) and I could not get the Samsung USB drivers to work properly. I had the bootloader unlocked and the phone rooted in half the time it took me to try and set up the PC. My tips for anyone trying to use this method is drag and drop the folders into the terminal box when changing directories (so you know your path is correct), copy and paste file names into terminal (same reason as before) and be aware of your spacing in your commands.

Glad it worked for you! You can drag and drop into the terminal bit make sure you've correctly changed directories (cd).

ea12287

Reaction score
Glad it worked for you! You can drag and drop into the terminal bit make sure you've correctly changed directories (cd).

Yes! Thanks creaky for starting this thread. I think it will be helpful. I actually wish I noticed it when I rooted my Nexus.

Nowgoride

Reaction score
Hey,
Im having trouble getting root. The bootloader is unlocked, that went well. However, when enter chmod +x install...etc... I get the no such file or directory... I know that the extracted folder is in my user account so Im kind of stuck. Thanks for any and all help with this

ea12287

Reaction score
Hey,
Im having trouble getting root. The bootloader is unlocked, that went well. However, when enter chmod +x install...etc... I get the no such file or directory... I know that the extracted folder is in my user account so Im kind of stuck. Thanks for any and all help with this

I didn't use this method (I used adb & fastboot), but after reading the directions, it looks like the line you are typing is supposed to change directories to a file folder in order to install a file. If that is the case, then all you have to type is "cd chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh" (without the quotes) or just type cd, hit the space bar and drag and drop the folder in your terminal window. Just make sure there is a space between "cd" and your folder name. Hope that helps.

lumpysherman

Reaction score
Ummm HELP..... Stuck in bootloop on step 18. Root seemed to go well since I go:
downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY
booting... OKAY

Ideas?

I'm going to go back and try again from scratch.

Well it won't unlock it twice, LOL... Same results, stuck in a boot loop. Anybody wanna buy a Samsung Galaxy Nexus BRICK?

UPDATE #2: I found an article where it stated to re-lock the bootloader and start over from there. That worked and am now up and running all my apps are restoring and I am rooted.

WHEW :icon_eek:

Last edited:

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
ok, followed the steps and I am rooted and unlocked...pretty straightforward.

What happens if I need to return the phone? Is there a way to go back to stock? Sorry for tje n00b question.