Unlock bootloader and root using a Mac - instructions

techinv

Reaction score
Awesome!! I saw this thread when it was first posted but haven't had time (or so I thought!) to do it until now.

I'm a total newbie and everything worked without a hitch!! I'm having a bit of an issue with the CWM instructions (but I'll figure that out shortly).

Awesome, can't wait to start playing with setcpu and extending my time away from the charger.

OP
creaky

creaky

Reaction score
Awesome!! I saw this thread when it was first posted but haven't had time (or so I thought!) to do it until now.

I'm a total newbie and everything worked without a hitch!! I'm having a bit of an issue with the CWM instructions (but I'll figure that out shortly).

Awesome, can't wait to start playing with setcpu and extending my time away from the charger.

So glad it worked for you! Now if we can just get Wug to make a version of his 1-click program for Mac....

bsmith0731

Reaction score
question about rom selections and other things

Good afternoon Creaky, I too am new to this, and have a mac..

I could be wrong but I didn't see anything on your post about how to back up your phone before everything gets deleted, and how do i look at the different roms out there? what are the differences? what do they do?

OP
creaky

creaky

Reaction score
Good afternoon Creaky, I too am new to this, and have a mac..

I could be wrong but I didn't see anything on your post about how to back up your phone before everything gets deleted, and how do i look at the different roms out there? what are the differences? what do they do?

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do to backup before you root with this method because it wipes everything. The Market will restore your apps but all the settings will be lost. If you backup files from your phone onto your PC you can restore some things that way, too (like photos, music, etc.).

As for roms, they're custom operating systems that give you more flexibility, speed, and customization options than the stock rom. Lurk in some of the rom forums and see what they say before flashing. There are plenty of tutorials ans YouTube videos that will show you how to flash. Also, always make a backup with clockwork mod recovery before you flash, that will take your system back to exactly where it was if anything goes wrong. Also, titanium backup is a great app for backing up your apps and saving your settings. But you must be rooted to use it. Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

sent from my rooted nexus

jmau808

Reaction score
line 2 question

Quick noob question here, about to unlock and root, but in line 2 of the commands part - cd (username)

What exactly is the username? username of the mac computer, or the GN itself?

for ex: would creaky put cd creaky in line two?

any help greatly appreciated.....

OP
creaky

creaky

Reaction score
Quick noob question here, about to unlock and root, but in line 2 of the commands part - cd (username)

What exactly is the username? username of the mac computer, or the GN itself?

for ex: would creaky put cd creaky in line two?

any help greatly appreciated.....

It's the name of what I think is called your home directory. If you open a new window on your desktop, look on the left of the window for the house shaped icon. Whatever that is called is what should go in that line. So if my house thingy is "creaky" then I type in creaky. Make sense?

sent from my rooted nexus

jmau808

Reaction score
perfect sense..... thanks creaky and thanks for the quicker than quick response..... it's root time!!!

and thanks for the instructions as well....

+1 for more mac instructions....

OP
creaky

creaky

Reaction score
perfect sense..... thanks creaky and thanks for the quicker than quick response..... it's root time!!!

and thanks for the instructions as well....

+1 for more mac instructions....

You're most welcome - glad it was helpful!

Let us know how it goes....

bsmith0731

Reaction score
Creeky.
Could you walk me through unrooting and relocking the boot loader?? On a Mac of course??

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
I'm not Creaky, but in post 21 of this thread there is this link:

[MAC METHOD] Root,Unroot & Unlock Your VZ Galaxy Nexus - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

This is the one that I used. Just download the linked folder to your desktop and follow the steps for "unroot". I googled the code for 4.0.1 and unzipped all the files and added them to the folder on the desktop. Make sure that the files are unzipped. Unrooted and locked in less than 20 mins. It might be tedious to retype the folder name, but it's easy or you can rename it. Regardless, just wait for the okay prompts in Terminal. I used the 4.0.1 base and allowed the GN to reboot and update itself to 4.0.2...no worries.

bsmith0731

Reaction score
I'm not Creaky, but in post 21 of this thread there is this link:

[MAC METHOD] Root,Unroot & Unlock Your VZ Galaxy Nexus - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

This is the one that I used. Just download the linked folder to your desktop and follow the steps for "unroot". I googled the code for 4.0.1 and unzipped all the files and added them to the folder on the desktop. Make sure that the files are unzipped. Unrooted and locked in less than 20 mins. It might be tedious to retype the folder name, but it's easy or you can rename it. Regardless, just wait for the okay prompts in Terminal. I used the 4.0.1 base and allowed the GN to reboot and update itself to 4.0.2...no worries.

Thanks.

I just want to make sure I download the correct version. Is there a cdma version and a gmsa version??

Is there a Mac version and and a PC version??

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums

OP
creaky

creaky

Reaction score
R850R knows more about this than I do - good luck!