Unlock bootloader and root using a Mac - instructions

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
Factory Images for Nexus Devices - Google Support for Nexus Phones and Flagship Devices - Google Code

Here is the google code...yes there are cdma and gsm...use cdma

I used the superboot method to root my phone that was in the beginning of this thread. To unroot, I used the steps in the provided link. It's for Mac (at least that's what I'm using a dell mini 10 hackbook running snow leopard). I downloaded the adb-fastboot folder described in the first part of the link and then followed the steps in unroot.

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
looks ok to me, I just made sure that there were unzipped img files for the terminal prompts in the direction. If you unzipped all the files then dumped them in the folder created, you should be good to go...

bsmith0731

Reaction score
looks ok to me, I just made sure that there were unzipped img files for the terminal prompts in the direction. If you unzipped all the files then dumped them in the folder created, you should be good to go...

Thanks.

Just started it out and it said no such file or directory on my first command.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
in your screen capture...third file from the bottom, is a zip file....unzip and take the contents and the rest of the img files in the folder and copy them to the adb-fastboot folder you created on your desktop.

bsmith0731

Reaction score
in your screen capture...third file from the bottom, is a zip file....unzip and take the contents and the rest of the img files in the folder and copy them to the adb-fastboot folder you created on your desktop.

OK I'll try that...

bsmith0731

Reaction score
OK I'll try that...

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm stuck at no such file or directory..

Not sure if this matters, but I dont see an .img that says bootloader...

this is the only name i see with bootloader in it

bootloader-toro-primekj10.img

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
lets make sure we are on the same page...did you download the adb-fastboot folder from the link and leave it on your desktop?

Screenshot2012-01-19at122815PM.png

ok...now you downloaded the google code

Screenshot2012-01-19at122359PM.png

click on the image-mysid-itl4ld.zip file to unarchive it...

Screenshot2012-01-19at122506PM.png

now we have the image folder...open it

Screenshot2012-01-19at122514PM.png

Here is the boot.img

take all of this and drop it into the adb-fastboot folder on your desktop...follow the steps in the link...should be good to go

bsmith0731

Reaction score
See, i didn't download the adb-fastboot folder... I thought I already had it...

Thanks for your help... its starting now... quick question... i accidentally unplugged my phone from the computer. i restarted the command and it seems to be working, but its taking a while for the second command which is the fastboot system img command...

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
if it does nothing in 10 minutes or so...start from scratch, but it's normal for it to take some time. hope this helps...let us know if you get locked/unrooted again

21JAN12...just got a PM from bsmith0731, looks like he's locked and unrtooted

Last edited:

bsmith0731

Reaction score
if it does nothing in 10 minutes or so...start from scratch, but it's normal for it to take some time. hope this helps...let us know if you get locked/unrooted again.

Thank you for all of your help... i appreciate that..

I will keep you posted!

adam1402

Reaction score
Stuck at Google

Ok, great step by step instruction btw. But if I had to pull the battery after unlocking and it has been at the Google screen for over 5 minutes, should I be worried? What should I do?

Thank you!

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
Ok, great step by step instruction btw. But if I had to pull the battery after unlocking and it has been at the Google screen for over 5 minutes, should I be worried? What should I do?

Thank you!

I'd let it go...if longer than 10-15 mins, pull battery again.

agarber1

Reaction score
Thank you. I've fiddled around with the OG Droid, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, and Droid Bionic over the past two years, and I've had to wade through some unnecessarily technical and pretentious posts to accomplish my goals. I greatly appreciate how simple and straightforward you made this. Including pictures and ALL of the Terminal interactions was extremely helpful. I didn't have any issues, and it got through the Google lock screen in under a minute.

As others may have said, Terminal looks a little different in 10.7 than in 10.4, but that's mainly just because it uses a $ instead of a %. [Or maybe that's something related to how my computer is set up.] Lion users may have trouble with the Home directory, though, since it's hidden by default. If they're trying to do this, though, they can figure it out.

Anyway, thank you for this guide. I hope others find it as useful as I did.