Rooting the GNex - Gonna Put My Freaking Head Through A Wall

riverjao

Reaction score
So, I've jailbroken an iPad and rooted, rommed, themed, overclocked, wiped, backed up, SBF'd and everything else to my OG Droid and my DX, but for the love of God I cannot root my Galaxy Nexus. I have a Mac. Now, I work with two different PC's, and of course neither one of them for whatever reason would work using the Easy Unlock & Root method that was released a few days ago. I've watched tutorials, I've did everything right along with them. I've read and read, but flat out cannot root this freaking phone. UGH! Would someone be willing to help? I'm at wits end with this phone. And yes, I already unlocked the bootloader.

Thanks!

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sure, bud. I can give you a hand (assuming you're at a PC of course). Since you've already unlocked the bootloader, we'll start with rooting. Download the superboot file (credit to Sbenson's guide) and extract all the contents to your C drive and place them in a new folder entitled "root". Then hook up your GNex in fastboot to your PC. Then type these commands:

cd C:/

cd root

(then in the "root" folder on your PC run the "install-superboot-windows.bat"). Your phone should reboot, if it doesn't, wait 5 minutes and pull the battery. You should now be rooted.

Superboot file located in this thread. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ga...-how-unlock-bootloader-root-galaxy-nexus.html

lfylove

Reaction score
So, I've jailbroken an iPad and rooted, rommed, themed, overclocked, wiped, backed up, SBF'd and everything else to my OG Droid and my DX, but for the love of God I cannot root my Galaxy Nexus. I have a Mac. Now, I work with two different PC's, and of course neither one of them for whatever reason would work using the Easy Unlock & Root method that was released a few days ago. I've watched tutorials, I've did everything right along with them. I've read and read, but flat out cannot root this freaking phone. UGH! Would someone be willing to help? I'm at wits end with this phone. And yes, I already unlocked the bootloader.

Thanks!

My phone had this problem I had to relock and run super boot 3 times before my phone would reboot. I was on windows though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

pool_shark

Reaction score
I used the superboot method was rooted within 15 minutes. At the time, that method posted in the sticky was the easiest, most well written method I had come across.

OP
R

riverjao

Reaction score
I actually have a Mac. And, I would prefer to use the Fastboot method so as to have permanent root. If I understand correctly, Superboot is temporary root.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I actually have a Mac. And, I would prefer to use the Fastboot method so as to have permanent root. If I understand correctly, Superboot is temporary root.

No. Superboot is full root. You run the superboot batch file while in fastboot.

Last edited:
OP
R

riverjao

Reaction score
Oh. Anyone have good, clear, thorough instructions on doing it with a Mac?

adr3nalin3

Reaction score
I would just borrow a pc if I were you, and use Wug's root toolkit. It practically does everything for you and walks you through everything step by step.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
MAC.. i got nothing. Android users have a hard time with Apple.. and Im sure the opposite..lol Its usually the last OS to get squared away. If its important to you and you want it now, Id hit up a friend or the library or soemthing.. hell head to BestBuy with the files you need on a flash drive and knock it out.

vicky1377

Reaction score

Thanks!

Just borrow a PC. I used the GNex Toolkit V3.0 from Mark on XDA-developers forum. I read through the entire thread with problems and solutions people posted just in case I faced while doing it. It worked like a charm for me. Mark is a senior at XDA and IT consultant based out of UK. I even donated for his beer :). He is pretty responsive to questions or concerns as well.Good luck!

[GNex TOOLKIT V3.0] Unlock, Root, CWM, Flash and MUCH MORE For Newbs [GSM] - xda-developers

- Vick