Help Figuring out Battery Probs w/ Razr MAXX on ICS and 215 update...

thefed17

Reaction score
So I used to go all day using my phone with about 4 hours talk time and 1-2 hours screen on time, checking emails excessively using Yahoo mail app, download apps here and there, facebook checking etc and have about 15-20% by 8pm (wake up at 7).

That's been changing a lot lately, even before the ICS update...it was getting miserable actually. I suspect it could have been a miscalibrated battery meter, so I did that and no luck. When I heard about the .215 leak, I decided to go for ICS. I cleared cache, didnt Factory Reset though, then updated. Then I cleared cache 2 more times, and my first day was terrible - and the thing died at about 40%. So I did 2 days of battery recalibrating and downloaded Juice Defender.

Since then, it's been okay...but nothing to write home about. Sync has always been off, the data network is not on Global but CDMA.LTE now, screen brightness at a minimum, no push notificatios, wifi only on if/when I use it, Yahoo mail app for email checking, Google Maps for quick Nav trips (I tried Mapquest and cant stand it...their version of Google Places sucks and I use that a lot) and that's about it.

Yesterday I downloaded Advanced Task Killer to try to help out with many hanging processes...but it didnt help or hurt any

Attached are the screenshots...let me know what else I can tell you. I am unsure what to do next other than factory reset :-(

Total time on Battery 9 Hours 39 Mins, Screen On 2 hr 36 mins & 53% of battery drain, Talk Time 2 Hours 41 Minutes. Remaining Battery 15% and draining quickly at 11%/HourView attachment 55724View attachment 55723View attachment 55721View attachment 55722

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'm moving this to the battery sub forum...

Welcome to the droid forums... I'm sure we can help ya get this figured out :)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to Droid Forums thefed! Your battery drain is definitely not due to your screen time or phone call use. And I can see that your phone is not always active so the problem is not due to something running wild in the background. And yes, your battery life is horrendous. (you didn't need me to tell you that, I know). It could be caused by a battery hungry app but that doesn't appear to be the case either because it would show up in your screenshot. The best thing for you to do is a factory Data reset, as much as you hate to. After the FDR, go through another meter training cycle. It is what will probably solve your problem and has been what has dramatically improved performance and battery use for many.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You're on 215?? Wow. Hmmm. Are you using smart actions battery extender?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This could be a 4G/3G switching issue. I would start first by disabling 4G and give it a day or two to see what the results are. Also you mentioned "a miscalibrated battery meter, so I did that and no luck", but what is "that" that you did? Did you download a battery calibration app and use it to "calibrate" the battery, or did you do the "Meter Training" I've posted so many times I can't count?

If it's the first, then you need to follow MY instructions.

FIRST, POWER OFF THE PHONE! This is done by pressing the power button for 2 seconds, and then choosing "Power off".
Once the phone is powered completely off, plug in the STOCK MOTOROLA wall adapter and STOCK MOTOROLA USB/Charging cable.
Initially the phone will appear to be booting normally as you'll see the red M logo, then the phone will boot into Charge Only mode, and you'll know this because you'll see a large animated battery and a percent of charge.
Allow the phone to fully charge to 100%, which can take upto 5.5 hours for the RAZR MAXX (3 hours for the RAZR). To check the progress along the way, press either volume button briefly and release. in about 3 or 4 seconds the large animated battery will reappear and you can see the charge level. After about 10 seconds, the screen will go black again and continue charging. DO NOT remove the phone from charge or power up until the phone registers 100%.
Once fully charged, you may remove the phone from the charger and power normally. Now use the phone as you would normally, but pay attention to the battery levels as they near 15%. Once the phone hits 15%, it will produce a "bong" sound and there will be a pop-up screen informing you to place the phone onto charge". This is when you will once again follow the instructions above, from start to finish charging again to 100%.

Once you've completely the second full charge, you have completed the Meter Training and you should be good to go for another 2-3 months (RAZR MAXX), or 2 months (RAZR), at which point you'll repeat the three step, charge to 100% with power off, use to 15%, charge to 100% with power off.

OP
T

thefed17

Reaction score
Foxcat - I am in a very solid 4G area, but I will download the toggle app and turn it off. I did the meter training as you mentioned, not an app. However, I did just come across an app called Battery Drain which kills your battery in an hour or so...would that be harmful to use?

94lt1 - No, I'm not. I'm using Juice Defender instead due to more customized options

TisMyDroid- I though this may be the answer...I will give it a shot

Caesars

Reaction score
I would have to agree with the fdr, after that i would recommend only putting a few apps on per day (so you can see if any apps cause the drain). I would also try the 3g toggle, if you're like most of us, 4g is just a useless battery drain :).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
T

thefed17

Reaction score
Well i just did a FDR, and low and behold I'm still on .215. Is that normal? Should I have rolled back?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well i just did a FDR, and low and behold I'm still on .215. Is that normal? Should I have rolled back?

No. A factory reset only formats your /data partition to factory settings. It wouldn't revert you from a leak.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
T

thefed17

Reaction score
Well, I did the FDR, then a cache clear again. I am not using Juice Defender but Smart Actions to activate Wifi at home and I used the standard battery saver rule.

I wasnt on the phone much today, so we dont have apples to apples...but

17 hr 47min on battery, 40% left
Screen: 3 Hours 2 mins @58%
Talk Time 33mins - 8%
Android OS- 16% - 1hr 34min CPU total, 11.5MB Data Sent, 1.29 MB received

Quite a bit better.

Am I on par with expected battery life again?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well, I did the FDR, then a cache clear again. I am not using Juice Defender but Smart Actions to activate Wifi at home and I used the standard battery saver rule.

I wasnt on the phone much today, so we dont have apples to apples...but

17 hr 47min on battery, 40% left
Screen: 3 Hours 2 mins @58%
Talk Time 33mins - 8%
Android OS- 16% - 1hr 34min CPU total, 11.5MB Data Sent, 1.29 MB received

Quite a bit better.

Am I on par with expected battery life again?

Do not use Smart Actions to activate Wi-Fi, since Smart Actions needs Wi-Fi in order to determine your location. This means it will not actually turn Wi-Fi on unless you are using another trigger such as time of day/night. Verizon knows this and created Verizon WiFi Auto-on. The app can be downloaded from the Play Store at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vzw.wificonnect

Once installed, set up home as a Wi-Fi location and it will turn on/off Wi-Fi add you approach /leave your home. Since it's a Verizon app, it uses the cellular towers to pinpoint your location and toggles Wi-Fi accordingly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
T

thefed17

Reaction score
Well, I'm back to a lousy day today.

First though - what is smart actions good for...if anything? What doesnt waste more energy than it saves? GPS off when I'm at home, wifi on and data off at home made sense until I realized I can get multimedia msgs (not a big deal, but I do get a lot through work sent to multi-people)....

Today I made a few changes. I deactivated Smart Actions. I downloaded Ringcentral (I have to use this for work...and it seems to always have a process running in the background), as well as LTE On/Off for Thunderbolt and put it on CDMA or CDMA (auto) a lot of the time to stay on 3g. I made sure that data was not set to global, sync for everything was off, brightness was set at 20%.

Total time 8 hours 52 mins
Talk Time 2 Hours 44 mins
Screen on time 2 hours 12 mins

20% battery left

WTF

Should I get an autokiller to kill Ringcentral processes? Or...how can I see how much battery its using at a given time? It shows MB next to each item (I use battery mix and always have had that on each step of the way)...is this just cached information, or is it related to battery usage?

Ahhhh!!!

If it IS Ringcentral, how can I use it several times daily then make sure it's dead and doesnt come back thru the day?