Razr Maxx Talk Time Battery Drain

mike1304

Reaction score
So I'm new to the forum, have read a bunch of different threads and haven't really seen my specific question addressed so I apologize if it's a repeat. I purchased my Razr Maxx about 10 days ago from a Verizon store. I didn't realize til after that a mistake was made when the sales rep turned the phone on right away but I have followed the charge cycle procedures that have been posted here since then (powering down to 15% then charging while turned off, etc.). The battery overall hasn't been quite what I expected and the most obvious example to me is the drain due to "Voice Calls" (as it is called in the "Battery Use" section in the settings), which I'm assuming would be considered talk-time. The phone is advertised with 21.5 hours of talk-time. Right now my phone is at 76% battery with 35% drained due to "Voice Calls" and 43.5 minutes of calls. This would equate to a battery life using strictly "Voice Calls" of about 8.5 hours.

I've looked at it a few times at different overall battery levels and it is always comes out to between 8-9.5 hours of pure talk-time. I'm wondering a couple things: (1) Am I correct in assuming "Voice Calls" are considered the same as talk-time. and (2) Does this sound like I have a defective battery or has this just been mis-advertised?

Thank you in advance for the help.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. We have an entire sub forum dedicated to battery issues. Its pretty new. Here's a link to one of the threads..

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=208909
Battery only showing 0% even after charging for 8 hours

There's lots if helpful stuff in there.
Look for posts by FoxKat.. he's the resident super battery guy :)

Hope this helps??
DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!

OP
M

mike1304

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I've read through a lot of FoxKat's posts and they do seem very helpful, however, I was really trying to address the specific issue with talk-time to see what others were experiencing.

@MysticalDreams - I have the screen time-out set to 2 minutes right now and has been at about 30% brightness all day. But wouldn't drain affected by the screen being on fall under the "Display" category in the Battery Use section (i.e. Settings > Battery Information > Battery Use)? The "Voice Calls" category should separate the call from the screen being on, correct?

Also, I did a factory reset three days ago. The only apps I have downloaded on my phone right now are Angry Birds, ScoreCenter, Gesture Search, iHeartRadio and Badass Battery Monitor. For what it's worth, the "Phone" and "Screen" categories in the Badass Battery Monitor app are within 1% of the "Voice Calls" and "Display" categories of the stock Battery Use section respectively.

Thanks.

Caesars

Reaction score
I wonder what the specifications for motorolas talk time were, I'm going to have to read into that. My maxx battery is good but I def will never get 20 hours of talk time. Maybe if I turn the cell data off and set the display timer to 15 seconds hehe.

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
@MysticalDreams - I have the screen time-out set to 2 minutes right now and has been at about 30% brightness all day. But wouldn't drain affected by the screen being on fall under the "Display" category in the Battery Use section (i.e. Settings > Battery Information > Battery Use)? The "Voice Calls" category should separate the call from the screen being on, correct?

sorry it was a long day and I guess I wasn't thinking straight...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I wonder what the specifications for motorolas talk time were, I'm going to have to read into that. My maxx battery is good but I def will never get 20 hours of talk time. Maybe if I turn the cell data off and set the display timer to 15 seconds hehe.

Well assuming you're on a 20 hour call, the display wouldn't be on anyway since the proximity sensor would maintain the screen off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

OP
M

mike1304

Reaction score
I went to the Verizon store yesterday and they said I couldn't get a replacement because that want enough evidence. Does anyone else have similar information on their maxx? Does your voice calls section only multiply out to 8 to 9 hours until that alone would drain a full battery when you look at the battery usage breakdown?

Thanks for the help.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Talk time is estimated at 20 hours, but you have to understand that's on a stock phone with NO user applications installed, NO social networking, NO contacts, NO email, NO widgets, NO Motocast, NO whatever, and a battery and meter that has been properly calibrated or "trained". Just like a car will NEVER get the rated mileage, almost no matter what you do short of retrofitting it since they test it on a dynamo, not the open road, you will virtually NEVER see the kind of performance they show it tests under laboratory conditions.

OP
M

mike1304

Reaction score
I completely understand that, but i'm seeing less than half. Does that sound right? Maybe i'm just being paranoid but I just want to make sure i'm not stuck with a bad battery after my 14 days are up.

Thanks for the help.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Talk time is estimated at 20 hours, but you have to understand that's on a stock phone with NO user applications installed, NO social networking, NO contacts, NO email, NO widgets, NO Motocast, NO whatever, and a battery and meter that has been properly calibrated or "trained". Just like a car will NEVER get the rated mileage, almost no matter what you do short of retrofitting it since they test it on a dynamo, not the open road, you will virtually NEVER see the kind of performance they show it tests under laboratory conditions.

I get more than advertised MPG :p

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I get more than advertised MPG :p

Jackie... if you brag you'll wind up having to.change your fuel filter :cool::D

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Jackie... if you brag you'll wind up having to.change your fuel filter :cool::D

I'm bragging damn it. Deal with it :-D I got 38mpg on my last tank and it's a 2000 Civic with modifications that SHOULD decrease mileage :-D My car effing ROCKS. You know you're jealous ;)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
My car gets 27 MPG and 580 HP....so no, I'm not jealous :) this is highway though... in a quarter mile, its not nearly that good :).... and I blew out my rearend gears :(

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!