Happy 2nd Anniversary Droid One !!

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
My good old Droid is still amazing, the fact that it is slower than the new devices is actually a good thing with it being so easy to root and customize and led me into rooting, romming, custom kernels and all the other various tweaks I've learned. If I had waited just awhile longer I might have gotten a better stock phone sure, but nothing compares to the easy rooting and easy tweaking and I probably never wouldve learned about rooting and roms and everything...I actually wanna learn Linux now and try out the developer side of android :)
Thank you Droid, and happy birthday

supercharged modified liquid 3.1 w/turbocharged 3g
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz w/ kickasskernel tweaks
19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have to agree, when I went into best buy and saw the plasticy display model, I was like, this is the ugliest thing I ever saw.. than when I held a real one, saw what it could do, I was hooked..

Really the turning point for me was being able to play ps1 on them... I was floored. A phone that can emulate snes is cool.. Ps1 I had to have it screw bb, I used gmail anyways.

And that was about ten months ago. Man I love these phones I cannot wait for quad core

Sent from my ROOTED DROID BIONIC using DROID forums!

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Really the turning point for me was being able to play ps1 on them... I was floored. A phone that can emulate snes is cool.. Ps1 I had to have it screw bb, I used gmail anyways.

And that was about ten months ago. Man I love these phones I cannot wait for quad core

But the question is do we need faster processors, quad core, or more ram first? Like how much ram do the current dual core phones need to run optimally? Or do they actually have more ram than is needed? How much ram is needed for quad core? And if the are the current processors 32 or 64 bit, if they're 32 bit would it benefit to make them 64 bit?

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

otmlb1128

Reaction score
I had wanted an iPhone for so long, but I wasn't about to switch to AT&T's ****ty coverage in my area. So when I heard about the Droid coming to Verizon, I pounced and got one at 7am on 11/7/09 (launch day). I've never looked back. My screen crapped out a month ago or so, so I bought a used D1 to hold me until the Galaxy Nexus. But my Droid has definitely treated me well. I still laugh when it performs some tasks better than brand new iPhones.

droidxd00d

Reaction score
well happy birthday to the og droid!

i was pretty late to the android game. I bought my first droid off ebay right around the time the droid x was released. but i love my og droid but one day i woke up and it didnt turn on :icon_evil:. i eventually bought my buddies old droid(with the cracked screen) for 20 dollars and used it until i bought my Bionic. Now i have gotten into this forum and am really getting into rooting and roms. and it all started with the og droid.

P.s. i tried starting up my bricked og droid and it turned right on......creepy much? but now i have two backup droids :biggrin: i'm so happy!
View attachment 42202

there's a picture of my two og droids taken with my bionic. happy birthday little dudes

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
But the question is do we need faster processors, quad core, or more ram first? Like how much ram do the current dual core phones need to run optimally? Or do they actually have more ram than is needed? How much ram is needed for quad core? And if the are the current processors 32 or 64 bit, if they're 32 bit would it benefit to make them 64 bit?

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

I think it's similar to computers...ram really didn't catch up until recently. we were hitting quad core before people needed four gigs...and only so much ram was needed because windows is a memory hog. You can still get by on only four gigs most times.

With as streamlined as Android is I'd say more raw horsepower before more ram. Maybe quad core phones will have two gigs. Hopefully the storage starts getting bigger... With these phones being mini computers and all

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think it's similar to computers...ram really didn't catch up until recently. we were hitting quad core before people needed four gigs...and only so much ram was needed because windows is a memory hog. You can still get by on only four gigs most times.

With as streamlined as Android is I'd say more raw horsepower before more ram. Maybe quad core phones will have two gigs. Hopefully the storage starts getting bigger... With these phones being mini computers and all

Hopefully at some point smartphones will become even more like computers with upgradable hardware, at least upgradable ram and storage anyway...I can imagine a where you get to select the amount of ram and memory you want just like a computer. Like a basic user would buy the version with maybe 16 gb internal memory and 1 gb ram, whereas someone who likes running intensive apps and games and just lots of apps in general would get a 32 gb internal memory and 2 gb ram

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
2 years! Seems like an eternity since the OG came out.

I remember getting mine Dec '09. What a fun day! I couldn't sleep that night, cause I was so excited to get up early Sat to the vzw store. It was on the 27th so there was still that "warm" Christmas glow around still. Everything about that day was magical...

Never will have that feeling again.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
2 years! Seems like an eternity since the OG came out.

I remember getting mine Dec '09. What a fun day! I couldn't sleep that night, cause I was so excited to get up early Sat to the vzw store. It was on the 27th so there was still that "warm" Christmas glow around still. Everything about that day was magical...

Never will have that feeling again.

That reminds me of when I got mine, which was early Dec 09, and the first night I couldn't sleep because the default mail setting was the "DROIDDDDD" sound and at the time had no idea what that setting was, kept waking me up, figured it was email, but after hearing it about 10 times I just stayed up and played with it :)

diggy488

Reaction score
Got my beloved D1 in Dec 09. Thanks to the AWESOME devs, my phone is still speedy and reliable, even more so today than a year ago. I'm confident it would last me another 2 years, but the Nexus will be my new baby. Maybe my ol' droid can be a dash cam. haha

blufftontiger

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 64GB
Happy Birthday Droid Forums! Last month I upgraded to the Bionic after having the Droid 1. I still have the Driod 1 charged and ready to go. It keeps my 4-year-old occupied on occasion. In addition, I'll pop back onto it for the "nostalgia".

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Happy Birthday OG! I loved that phone... Went thru 4 BB Storms on one year before throwing it in the trash can and got the D1, still have it too. Love that thing!

zodder

Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe it's only been 2 years since the OG Droid came out. That phone started my dark journey into becoming a cell phone degenerate. Thanks!................. I think... :biggrin:

kijutsu

Reaction score
Didn't buy it at launch -- still use it though...

I didn't buy mine at launch, pretty close though.

The ear piece finally gave up the ghost, and I had to replace her with a D2G, let me tell you, I hate the locked bootloader of D2G. I wish I still had a functional speaker on my OGDroid. Now it sits in it's little multimedia desktop dock and I use it to stream videos from my server via UPNPlay and MoboPlayer via Wifi. Works great when I'm at home and using all my other monitors for work, and I want to take a Netflix break. I have it OC'd to 1100 and Netflix is liquidity smooth.