[Guide] Install Netflix on any Android device

sid_wisc

Reaction score
Source of message (guide): LifeHacker posted May 13, 2011 12:30 PM
Link How to Install Netflix on Almost Any Android Device

Yesterday's launch of Netflix on the Android was exciting, but not without disappointment, as it's only available on a few devices. Here's how to install it on almost any Android phone.If you're one of the unlucky users that doesn't have their device supported by Netflix yet, you can still grab the APK file over at XDA Developers (you'll need an account, but it's well worth it). Make sure you have the "Unknown Sources" box checked in Settings > Applications on your phone, then transfer the APK file to your phone and tap it to install the app. It may work out of the box on some phones, but other phones may have issues. If that's the case, you'll need to do a little more work—including rooting your phone—to get Netflix up and running.
If you've rooted your phone and it doesn't support Netflix out of the box, you can still get it working with a few tweaks. I recommend making a backup with ROM Manager before you do this, though, since you'll be editing some system files.
Start up your favorite root explorer app, like Root Explorer or ES File Explorer. Head to /system and make sure it's mounted as read/write, which you can do in Root Explorer by hitting the "Mount R/W" button, or in ES by going to Settings > Root Settings. Edit the build.prop file, changing the ro.product.model and ro.product.manufacturer line to one of the following:

ro.product.model=HTC Vision ro.product.manufacturer=HTC

or

ro.product.model=Nexus S ro.product.manufacturer=samsung

Then, reboot your phone and try installing or running Netflix again. You may find that it now works on your device.
Unfortuantely, your mileage may vary with this—every phone is different, and some phones won't be able to run Netflix period (like the HTC Thunderbolt, at the time of this writing). But if you've got a rooted phone, this trick might get it up and running for you. Hit the link and read through the full thread at Reddit if you're having trouble with a specific device.

N'joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Easier to download the apk and sideload it....
You should mention you have to be on GB for it to stream.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score

Depends on if you want to grab your USB cable or not. I am lazy like that so I like to use dropbox :p And what does that mean for Froyo users? It doesnt work at all? It downloads the movie then plays it?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Depends on if you want to grab your USB cable or not. I am lazy like that so I like to use dropbox :p And what does that mean for Froyo users? It doesnt work at all? It downloads the movie then plays it?

It does not download the movie, it streams it IIRC.

mach330

Reaction score
is the "samsung" have to be lower case 's'? i'm trying my friends' epic 4g and it didn't work. I kept the capital S. worked on my dinc though with the htc.

Last edited:

thekavon

Reaction score
Question. I went to my Root Explorer set to mount r/w and went to the system folder. I cannot find the path Settings > Root Settings. Any suggestions?

troublz

Reaction score
Word from other forums is that this trick doesn't work on the D2G. Anyone gotten this to work yet?

I have read that the Netflix app works on the OG, DX and D2 but only with GB leak running on them.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

yummyDroid

Reaction score
yep i tried it and couldnt get it to work, looks like we need GB

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

thekavon

Reaction score
FYI im running DX with GB 4.5.573 and netflix is running fine.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score

It does not download the movie, it streams it IIRC.
Well by default i wouldnt think it would but didnt know how to read your comment. I thought maybe you were implying that it would download the movie first, and then start playback. When playback was done it would delete it from the SD card. Plus I figured it was in a format only playable by the netflix app anyways.

hendricksfan01

Reaction score
Figures, I have d2g and G.T. and they don't release it to either. Rooted my d2g but this tab won't root with 4zroot. Going to try one click but not to hopeful. Why wouldn't they get Dang Gt's too. Help would love to stream on 7" screen.

warped1987

Reaction score
Ohhhhhh so that's why I couldn't find it in the Market! Thanks, finally someone cleared it up. I have a Droid 2 Global and it wasn't in the market when I searched for it. Also, the new Market feature where you go to an app and it shows you if your phone is in a list of compatible devices isn't there, any one can explain why I don't have that feature on my phone either?

Thanks