Gorilla Gadgets 3500mAh Extended Battery

notauser

Reaction score
The gorilla website seems to be out of stock well since 2 days ago does anyone know if there's any diff between theirs and the ones mentioned from ebay besides the price difference. I do need the extra juice but wouldn't want to ruin my phone.

irishfan.83

Reaction score
All-just received my 3500 batt in the mail yesterday and I am now in the process of calibrating it with BL. Looks like this thing should be the answer to my battery issues. This thing is going to take a while to run down until dead (which is what you have to do to calibrate correctly.) I had to reset my battery profile in BL, recharge my new battery (let it chrg for another 2 hrs. after full) and now running down normally. I had BL calibrated just fine with my stock battery. As far as it being the same as GG....it appears to be the exact same battery and door, and I did get mine from an ebay seller. The phone isn't too bulky and I actually like the feel of it in landscape mode with the slider open. As far as it ruining the phone, not too worried since so many of these batteries are out there and I've yet to hear of one ruining a phone. If something should go wrong, I pay for a third party phone insurance plan, no questions asked insurance with a 70 dollar deductable....so no worries. Will update once calibration is done....

Simba7

Reaction score
I've had the Mugen 3300mAh battery for over a month and love it. Just wish they'd fix the battery accuracy issue instead of using a secondary meter.

manoman

Reaction score
@Neverblu - I flashed the black gingerbread theme without a problem. When I try to flash the Third Eye Black theme over the black gingerbread them (but deleting all files/folders except for the folders with framework.apk in the zip file) using clockworkmod recovery, it freezes every time and I have to do a battery pull just to restart the phone. I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?

As for the battery, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the ebay $12 variety since the gorilla gadgets site is out of stock for the D2G, and apparently their batteries source from a factory in China anyway (probably the same factory, lol).

Irish - let me know how the battery life looks? I'm crossing my fingers and hoping you get 2-3 days out of that thing!

irishfan.83

Reaction score
------UPDATE-------

Ok, here's the latest concerning my 3500 mAh battery I got from ebay. First off, I immediately recognized the new battery door is much cheaper quality that the stock door (duh....it was 20 bucks). One of the small legs was broken from the inside edge of the door. It appears the legs are just glued into place and not a one piece design like stock. So to all the others, don't be surprised at the door quality. Luckily the ebay seller I bought from is super cool and he's sending me another door no problem. Also, the door does slip down loose every once and a while. Might be due to the bad leg...will wait for the new door and see if it gets better. ...

Now, on to the battery itself. I've had the battery for two days now, and managed to finish the calibration last night. The battery has had one full drain and full charge overnight. According to battery left, I am running at about 18h:36m battery life fully calibrated. This is under absolutley normal operating conditions, I have not been using my phone excessively at all (eg..wifi, gps, music, browser, apps, calls, etc.) I am not seeing the usage stats that blu posted earlier in the thread. I was expecting much more out of the battery than a days usage...but I cannot be to disappointed since I was only seeing about 7-8 hours life out of the stock battery. I can say I have effectively doubled my battery life with the 3500 batt.

I also noticed something else very interesting. Battery left is estimating my battery life much lower than my system is....somewhere in the neighborhood of 13%-20%. For example, right at this moment, BL is estimating my battery at 31% while my stock android system says 50% battery. Is anyone else having this issue? I have heard of the opposite occuring earlier in the thread, where the system estimates low but BL says much higher. If this keeps ocurring, I won't really need battery left on my phone since it is reading incorrect. Keep in mind it is fully calibrated.

Overall, I am satisfied with the battery. It was only 20 bucks with free shipping and the seller was easy to work with. I was hoping for a couple of days of battery life, but I;ll sure settle for one day. It is much better than what I was getting with stock........

OP
N

Neverblu

Reaction score
It took a few charges to get the life I see now, first few charges were in the 17-23hr range. Also with BL change the settings on the way it reads battery fuel to MV % instead of estimated time

irishfan.83

Reaction score
Blu-I adjusted to mV %.....went from system 40% to 73%!!!!

Thanks for the advice dude....

What is the theory behind using mV%???

OP
N

Neverblu

Reaction score
When the Dev of Battery Left designed the app he designed it for the 2600mAh seido batteries, basically the principle behind it is that the longer the mAh(milliamp hours) the longer the battery hangs at a particular voltage. Its just a simple math expression based on discharge rates at certain voltages, for example if you look at one of my previous posts, according to battery left, 100-70% is in the 4000-4235mV range and hangs there for 4/12th's of the battery life, then almost completely skips over the 3900-4000mV range, and maintains 3650-3900mV for 7/12th's of the battery life, and the last 1/12th of life is its last couple hours life ranging from 3650-3185mV(Device shutdown), the first stage is moderatly long, middle stage almost double-triple that of the entire oem batteries life, and the last stage being very quick compared to the others 6 hours normal use, maybe 2-3 hours heavy use. Hope that helped clear things up :p

irishfan.83

Reaction score
Blu-thanks for the reply dude, awesome information there. I just had something funny happen to me. I fired up angry birds and was JUST ABOUT to beat level 4-14 (been stuck on it for days) when my phone decided to power down. I remember checking battery left a few seconds earlier and saw it reporting 25% with I believe 3700 range mV. I was kind of surprised because I was expecting to get down to the 3200 range before shutdown. I DEFINATELY saw a huge increase in usage this cycle....i got almost 24 hours out of half a charge (accidently powered off the phone yesterday afternoon which reset the timer) I checked the phone counter at lunch today and it was reporting almost 23 hours, combined with around 10 hours usage yesterday when I powered it off. So the grand total on normal usage is around 33 hours....very impressive!!!!

So now I can say i have almost increased my battery life 5X!!!!!!dancedroid

OP
N

Neverblu

Reaction score
Hahaha Im addicted to angry birds, im going back through trying to get all three stars. Anyways, yea thats weird that it cut off around 3700, it should drain down to 3185mV(device cutoff voltage, mine & wifes consistently cut off at this voltage).

irishfan.83

Reaction score
LOL, I don't move on to the next level until I get three stars......it can be very frustrating when you do it exactly right and still cant get those damn pigglie wigglies.....

I thought that was a strange cut off time, considering what you posted earlier (post 25) about cutoff voltage. I'll watch it closer this time and see if more 2+ hour extra charge cycles decrease cut off mV.....

turok

Reaction score
After reading this im sol getting a battery. weird though. My druid only gives me about 4 hours of heavy use.

Gonna flash squidly now. :)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App