Google Voice Now Handles Incoming Number Ports

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-voice-number-port.jpg

Google officially released incoming number portability for Google Voice. If this is a feature you have sorely missed for the past few years, you may now jump for joy if you so wish. Here are some great instructions from BGR,
To port your number into your Google Voice account, simply click on Settings in the top right corner, and then Voice settings. Now, on the phone tab next to your Google Voice number, click on Change / Port. Now click on “I want to use my existing mobile number instead” and follow the on-screen instructions to port your number.
Please note that it costs $20 bucks to port your number. Also, feel free to share in the forums how this will greatly enrich your life, or generally just be pretty useful.

Source: BGR

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What is the major benefits of porting? Reason I ask is I only use GV for free texting.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if you port your number to Google and then change cell providers. I'd guess you'd have to pay to port that number or risk losing it.

Could be a nice feature as it solves the problem of getting people to forget your old cell number and use the Google number for texts.

I'd be a little leary. Google will be giving free VoIP again this year but all indications are they plan to charge for that service eventually, and I suspect that may include GV. But maybe the customer backlash will be too big for that to happen. Charging for texts is the biggest rip-off going in mobile.

bertholemew

Reaction score
If they could get your outbound Caller ID to match your Google Voice number w/o having to dial though your GV number first then it would be great. Not sure if they can, may be up to carriers. Should be up to the customer as long as they can prove they 'own' the number.

PressureDrop

Reaction score
what they need to offer is a menu option when clicking on a # to "call with Google Voice". Instead of having to do it all the time, or ask you on every #! I only use GV infrequently so it is a PITA the way it is now. On my old BlackBerry GV app it would let you enter a # and call from GV, but all other calls were "normal" (through the phone). I like that it is a little more built in on droids, but it should still be an option - not a requirement!

wingdo

Reaction score
What is the major benefits of porting? Reason I ask is I only use GV for free texting.

This I would like to know as well.

Well for one thing, if you still have a land line phone you can port that number over to google voice and people calling your now disconnected land line number will still ring your cell phone. I've been looking forward to this as i've had the same home number for 20 years. Now I can dump my second line for those people who never learn to call the cell.

porkbrains

Reaction score
what they need to offer is a menu option when clicking on a # to "call with Google Voice". Instead of having to do it all the time, or ask you on every #! I only use GV infrequently so it is a PITA the way it is now. On my old BlackBerry GV app it would let you enter a # and call from GV, but all other calls were "normal" (through the phone). I like that it is a little more built in on droids, but it should still be an option - not a requirement!

GV has a settings widget that allows you to toggle through the various options.. i.e. use GV to make all calls, only use GV for international #s, never use for calls, ask everytime

I was able to secure ***-SNUGGLE and gf got ***-BUTTFLU.. Picking #s is almost as good as porting them, except you get a weird area code.

I started with GV in order to drop my text package, but now make almost all calls with it just so I don't have to demand texts from one and voice from the other.. I've had few problems with the calling side and there are a lot of awesome options such as pressing 4 and recording your conversation onto the GV server. You can also do custom outgoing voicemail messages for groups or individuals. I <3 it very much.

alanbk

Reaction score

This I would like to know as well.

Well for one thing, if you still have a land line phone you can port that number over to google voice and people calling your now disconnected land line number will still ring your cell phone. I've been looking forward to this as i've had the same home number for 20 years. Now I can dump my second line for those people who never learn to call the cell.

It clearly states that Land Line numbers can't be ported yet. This is what I've been waiting for. Sure enough I checked and my land line number can not,but my cell number can. Does anyone know if Google plans to offer Land Line Porting?

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
I'd like this. I've had my mobile number since 2003 and I don't want to lose it. That said, I'd love to have the option of routing my number to various different devices. For example, with GV I could make it such that when I visit my parents' (where I don't get cell phone reception because they live out in the sticks), I can just route it so my phone calls go to their house phone. Or if I don't answer after 2 rings, it then starts to ring on their house phone. Or maybe I would make it such that it rang both on my cell phone and my home landline at the same time and first to answer gets the call. All of these things can be done with GV, all without me changing my ph# that I've had for 8 years.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
I'd like this. I've had my mobile number since 2003 and I don't want to lose it. That said, I'd love to have the option of routing my number to various different devices. For example, with GV I could make it such that when I visit my parents' (where I don't get cell phone reception because they live out in the sticks), I can just route it so my phone calls go to their house phone. Or if I don't answer after 2 rings, it then starts to ring on their house phone. Or maybe I would make it such that it rang both on my cell phone and my home landline at the same time and first to answer gets the call. All of these things can be done with GV, all without me changing my ph# that I've had for 8 years.

I like that idea, cuz I have the same issue. I already have a custom GV number, use it for my VM, alternate texts, and phone widget on my site. But porting it this way would be cool.

However, I'll wait to port my number through them for the time being. Some things I don't like being the guinea pig of lol.

aldeghij

Reaction score
If I port my cell number through here, does my original google voice number stay in effect? I use that number as my main business number, so it'd suck if I ported my cell number and my google voice number went away....