Google Voice Now Handles Incoming Number Ports

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
It looks as if you will lose your GV number if you port your carrier number.

I'm sticking with two separate numbers for the time being.

qoncept

Reaction score
What's up with "Your mobile phone service plan will be terminated when you port your number to Google Voice and your carrier may charge you an early termination fee." ?

Why? What does Verizon care if I transfer my number but keep my service?

Big Ry

Reaction score
People talk about using GV txt so they don't have to pay for a txt package...I thought your carrier would still charge you anyway?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

frostthejack

Reaction score
What's up with "Your mobile phone service plan will be terminated when you port your number to Google Voice and your carrier may charge you an early termination fee." ?

Because by doing that you terminate your contract.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bertholemew

Reaction score
I think Google should become their own carrier. Google Wireless? Anyone?

I read they are cosidering this. They may lease cell tower rights from one of the smaller companies to get started. I wrotw on another forum that if they do this they should offer only data packages and all calls could be VOIP.

frostthejack

Reaction score

I read they are cosidering this. They may lease cell tower rights from one of the smaller companies to get started. I wrotw on another forum that if they do this they should offer only data packages and all calls could be VOIP.

All calls should be voip I think on all carriers.

Jeyman

Reaction score
Its a start, and I may get use from this soon. Going to change to sprint so keeping my VW number would be very nice.

PressureDrop

Reaction score
what they need to offer is a menu option when clicking on a # to "call with Google Voice". Instead of having to do it all the time, or ask you on every #! I only use GV infrequently so it is a PITA the way it is now. On my old BlackBerry GV app it would let you enter a # and call from GV, but all other calls were "normal" (through the phone). I like that it is a little more built in on droids, but it should still be an option - not a requirement!

GV has a settings widget that allows you to toggle through the various options.. i.e. use GV to make all calls, only use GV for international #s, never use for calls, ask everytime
right. And I don't want it to ask, and I don't want to have to use it all the time. I want to be able to choose ON THE FLY if I want to use it for an outgoing call. In the BlackBerry version it simply has its own dialer. Work great. But in the droid version it is either Ask every time, Use every time, International, or not at all. I don't want it to ask because then handsfree dialing does not work. I do not want it every time because then my # is not used. I want to be able to select it only occasionally for some calls. JUST LIKE ON THE BLACKBERRY.

ChuckG73

Reaction score

All calls should be voip I think on all carriers.

The should buy T-Mobile and become G-Mobile

qoncept

Reaction score

Let me get this straight.. I ask why, by doing that, you terminate your contract, and your answer is "by doing that you terminate your contract" ?

ElMalakai

Reaction score

Let me get this straight.. I ask why, by doing that, you terminate your contract, and your answer is "by doing that you terminate your contract" ?

The reason you would port your number to Google Voice at this time would be
  1. Number Portability
  2. Ease of forwarding/redirection w/o paying additional fees
  3. Free text messaging to any phone that supports GV, because the GV app will mimi text messages via data packets
  4. More with point 1, but greater freedom to jump between carriers/plans because google has your number, not Verizion, or T-Mobile.
This comes down really to who do you trust more. Google or your carrier? I hate my carrier ( verizon ) and want as much freedom as possible. I'd rather Google hold the paper on my primary cell number, and let me shop around for wireless service w/o having to worry too much about number portability.
Plus, as much as call forwarding to a different number works, it adds complexity and delay. I'd rather have one number, for all my devices. When you call my primary number, my cell can ring, my browser window can ring, my VOIP home line can ring... etc.

I never really wanted to send out my custom GVoice number to all my contacts. I like that my now 14 year old cell number can be used for full GVoice support.

ElMalakai

Reaction score
Also, let me say this, I haven't yet ported. I'm looking for information on how VZW reacts to number porting to google. Will my contract be terminated and will I be charged an early termination fee? Google warns this is possible, looking for info from those who have done it, what's our options?

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Here's a tiny bit more information. I am guessing this process is so new (officially) that the carriers may not have solid processes in place to deal with this enmass.

Google Voice Number Porting Now Live (For Real This Time)

This is definately once of those times when spending some time on Goggle searching phone porting might help get some answers.

Craig