Porting Google Voice number to Verizon...

Byte

Reaction score
I have a Google Voice number and will be a new Verizon customer. When I get my Droid I was planning on porting my GV number instead of getting a new one or using my old.

I don't want my Google Voice account closed. I just want both accounts to work together as if I had a Verizon number but had people calling my Google Voice number...

I just read this thread over at Google Voice Help...

I just ported my Google Voice number to Verizon and I am having problems with texting. - Google Voice Help

Is this a good idea or should I get a new number and just give people my Google Voice number to call? Has anyone done this and what are your experiences so far?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Do not ask me for invites. I'm all out. :wink:

Last edited:

GadgetRick

Reaction score
I have a Google Voice number and will be a new Verizon customer. When I get my Droid I was planning on porting my GV number instead of getting a new one or using my old.

I don't want my Google Voice account closed. I just want both accounts to work together as if I had a Verizon number but had people calling my Google Voice number...

I just read this thread over at Google Voice Help...

I just ported my Google Voice number to Verizon and I am having problems with texting. - Google Voice Help

Is this a good idea or should I get a new number and just give people my Google Voice number to call? Has anyone done this and what are your experiences so far?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Do not ask me for invites. I'm all out. :wink:
I don't believe this will work as the GV number is a totally different number. It also defeats the purpose of a GV number. You use GV to give out to people and they call it. Then it rings at the appropriate numbers you'd like it to ring.

thistle

Reaction score
Is this a good idea or should I get a new number and just give people my Google Voice number to call?
Get a new number. It's a perfect opportunity to get your private number out of the hands of any that shouldn't have it.

qoncept

Reaction score
I don't understand what you're saying. Do you want to get a new phone and transfer your GV number to it, like you would with an existing cell phone number? If so, I don't understand why you'd do that.

Get any number (your existing cell number or a new one), forward GV to it, and give everyone your GV number. It's 100% transparent to your contacts.

andymellon4

Reaction score
I am confused on how you would even go about switching it to different phones? do you just download the app and enter your email?

Edit

Sorry I didnt state this correctly

say if i Get the next droid would i be able to just switch it that easily?

qoncept

Reaction score
Yep, online in your Google Voice settings you just change the phones you want calls and SMSes sent to. I think you can actually do it in the app on the phone, but I'm not positive.

DareDevil

Reaction score
Anyone else having major problems dialing out? No matter what I change, it always dials the country code (+1) and then area code and I get the "cannot complete the call as dialed" response.

I'm on VZW.

Leonard Wong

Reaction score
Get any number (your existing cell number or a new one), forward GV to it, and give everyone your GV number. It's 100% transparent to your contacts.

The only exception would be for apps that require your direct mobile number. GV numbers are not supported by Loopt.

Yep, online in your Google Voice settings you just change the phones you want calls and SMSes sent to. I think you can actually do it in the app on the phone, but I'm not positive.

You cannot just install GV on your phone and enable it. There's some verifications steps required in the web interface to enable a phone. Although, I haven't tried using the browser on the droid to do it.

OP
B

Byte

Reaction score
Anyone else having major problems dialing out? No matter what I change, it always dials the country code (+1) and then area code and I get the "cannot complete the call as dialed" response.

I'm on VZW.

Daredevil make your own thread if you have a question, HIJACKING someone else's is just RUDE!!!

Get a new number. It's a perfect opportunity to get your private number out of the hands of any that shouldn't have it.

Thistle, I will probable do this when I get the phone.

To everyone else. I contacted the person on Google Voice Help who ported her GV number. I'm going to wait and see what her experiences are then decide.

Thanks for all your comments.

Last edited: