Google Voice - Best Way To Use

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I got my Google Voice invite and have spend alot of time playing with it. Here are some findings.

1) It now allows you to use your own number instead of a google number - you can't connect other numbers to it but I only have one so I chose this one.

2) By default it SMS's you as many SMS's as it takes at 160 per to show you the text. I found it annoying and since I don't have unlimited texts it will eat them up. Also there is no way to stop the base messenger from texting you rather than Handcent.

3) It also emails you the text plus a link to the voice. The email comes both to the phone and your computer.

4) The google voice application that I downloaded doesn't give me any notifications like it's supposed to. However it's handy to play the actual voice message.

5) The interpretation of what people are saying stinks - but it's frequently funny.

I canceled my Visual Voicemail since this is free and better. Overall I like it. There is no need for an SMS so I turned it off completely... if you're not at the phone why send an instant notification to it. If you're at the phone then you can see the missed call and check it out.

Comments?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I do pretty much the same....Love it...

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now the Google Voice application is working. I have it set to check every 15 minutes. When it does I have it say Droooooid and Vibrate. It also puts a tag up top showing you have a new Google Voicemail.

Totally no need for SMS. Works great.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now the Google Voice application is working. I have it set to check every 15 minutes. When it does I have it say Droooooid and Vibrate. It also puts a tag up top showing you have a new Google Voicemail.

Totally no need for SMS. Works great.

I've been using Google Voice for months, mostly for SMS. I like it too. I will caution you. It does have times when it goes down and sometimes it doesn't deliver my SMS.

Very nice for the most part. And the price can't be beat.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i dont use it for sms or to make calls i just let it handle my voice mail.

ive actually had pretty good luck with it interpreting what people say... once in a while it will interpret it wrong and it is kinda funny. i still usually play the message just to make sure its right. its soooo nice to be in a meeting and if someone leaves a voicemail your able to read it without calling in.

i did notice that getting an email, a text, and a notification that i have a voice mail was pretty annoying so i turned all that off so all i get now is the notification... it just vibrates and says DDDRRROOOIIIDDD!!!!

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Same here - I wouldnt even know how to SMS using it and I don't really need to. I just use it for Voicemail. It's pretty funny what it comes up with sometimes and you can listen to it whenever you want.

I have it say Droiiid just like you and have the notification and email. I like the email so I can play it on my computer.

I don't know why you would need an SMS... pointless.

ive actually had pretty good luck with it interpreting what people say... once in a while it will interpret it wrong and it is kinda funny. i still usually play the message just to make sure its right. its soooo nice to be in a meeting and if someone leaves a voicemail your able to read it without calling in.

i did notice that getting an email, a text, and a notification that i have a voice mail was pretty annoying so i turned all that off so all i get now is the notification... it just vibrates and says DDDRRROOOIIIDDD!!!!

Reaction score

I find the text notification from GV comes in faster then the actual VM does. Sometimes there is a min or two diff.

Nedaroth

Reaction score
Same here - I wouldnt even know how to SMS using it and I don't really need to. I just use it for Voicemail. It's pretty funny what it comes up with sometimes and you can listen to it whenever you want.

I have it say Droiiid just like you and have the notification and email. I like the email so I can play it on my computer.

Correct me if im wrong but isnt sms the reason most people want google voice, for the free text.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Correct me if im wrong but isnt sms the reason most people want google voice, for the free text.

I got it but I have unlimited text already....

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's like you're speaking a different language :) I kept my own number.. and the app doesnt have options for anything but reading and listening....

How do you make free SMS's using google voice...

once you set GV up and text through GV number it's free. Just use GV app and voice and text will be added to your contacts.

bass_lover1

Reaction score
It's like you're speaking a different language :) I kept my own number.. and the app doesnt have options for anything but reading and listening....

once you set GV up and text through GV number it's free. Just use GV app and voice and text will be added to your contacts.

That's why. Currently GV only allows free SMS if you pick a GV number when you sign up for your account. SMS is not supported if you keep your own number to use with GV.

Anomander

Reaction score
Ok, I just got my invite for Google voice today from Google. I have not decided the best way to set it up yet. Honestly I did not think I would be getting an invite this quick, so I have not been reading up on what the program can do and the best way of utilizing it. I have my Droid and I have a landline. I mostly use my droid for texting and surfing and do not talk near my limit on minutes (700). I know Google Voice is free for stuff, but if I am already paying money to Verizon then I might as well get my moneys worth, or am I wrong on that?

WLJohnson05

Reaction score

this is one part of gv that im not sure about. bc since the text is coming from google and not verizon wouldnt it charge the other person a text outside of the "free" ones?