Google Voice and SMS

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by sov1et, Nov 18, 2009.

1. sov1et

sov1et New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Whenever I get an SMS on my GV number, I get a notification through Google Voice and also through the default messaging app (as a 406 number). It's a nuance that I'm informed twice of a single SMS. I still need to keep notifications on for the default messaging app because I still receive texting on my non-GV number. Is it possible to have the default messaging app notify me of non-GV texts and Google Voice notify me of GV texts only?

Better yet, how do I stop getting texts from the 406 number?

2. Royal2000H

Royal2000H Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In your GV account settings online, you can set it to not forward text messages to your phone. That way you'll get GV messages only through the GV app.
    Keep in mind messages through the GV app are fetched, not pushed, so you won't get them instantly like a normal message.

3. sov1et

sov1et New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    But I won't get calls either on my Droid if I disable forwarding, correct?

4. Royal2000H

Royal2000H Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Go to phones, click Edit for your cell, Uncheck "Receive SMS on this phone"

5. sov1et

sov1et New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sweet thanks, exactly what I was looking for

6. Silverwing

Silverwing Member

Ratings:
    +1

Does this mean that if somebody texts me on my Google voice number, if forward is disabled. I may not get it for 5 minutes? If so, is there a way to bypass that without forwarding (since that would cost money, as I don't have an unlimited text plan and that appears to be redundant, anyway). Any third party program that will push for texts, instead of checking every 5 minutes.

#6 Silverwing, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  7. Royal2000H

Royal2000H Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have unlimited texts and have disabled notifications for the text. Instead, I get the GV notifications. However, I would much prefer a GV that would push.

So hopefully someone (maybe Google) has an answer to this problem.

8. Silverwing

Silverwing Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well, google can push (like with emails and voicemails?) so is there a way to get an app that will push those message from the online directory of the SMS? Because, as it stands, it is unusable - 5 minutes is preposterously long amount of wait in a conversation.

9. bass_lover1

bass_lover1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There are a few steps you can take that GV will notify you via email instead of SMS.

Go into your GV account, and click on settings.

Under the Phones tab, click edit on your mobile phone, and un-check Receive SMS.

Under the Voicemail & SMS tab check the SMS Forwarding box, make sure it is your gmail account that they will be forwarded to.

You'll now get an email every time someone sends an SMS to your GV number. Gmail push is almost instant notification, better than waiting 5 minutes.

10. Mateles

Mateles Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think someone said that the GV SMS will push if you also have an email notification set up. So set up the email notification and also set a filter / rule in your email to delete those. Then you get the SMS push without the extra email notification.

Edit: I also do not have a text plan, so I give out my GV # to people who text me. Now I just need to remember who has my regular # and who has my GV # when I call them so they don't get confused. Unless we get something like this... http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google Mobile/thread?tid=70dd506d693638f5&hl=en

#10 Mateles, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  11. Silverwing

Silverwing Member

Ratings:
    +1

Yeah I read about that, but I didn't want my email being spammed because I have full fledged conversations via texts sometimes.

I think that is the way to go, do you know how to set up that filter rule to delete all those notification emails?

12. Modulus

Modulus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Official Google Voice app is configurable (Menu -> Settings -> Refresh and notification -> Refresh Inbox) but only as low as 5 minutes. This paradigm is called 'polling' and common with most email clients (POP3/IMAP), but in this situation, was just a bad design choice by Google. :( Considering GTalk is built on XMPP/Jabber, they should have implemented all of GV's messaging that way, it would have kept a connection open, and pushed as needed.

The unofficial GV app by Evan Charlton (available in the market), is configurable down to 1 minute, but not nearly as clean/polished looking as the Official GV app. Evan's app does offer a very nice feature though, it will intercept all outgoing calls, and automatically initiate them as call-backs (via the website). Thus, when you try to make an outgoing call, you instead receive a call from your GV number, which if it's on your friends and family list, is free.

Can someone verify that pushing SMS to GMail triggers the GV App notification? I had this configured at one point but don't remember the app being triggered..