Google Voice

csutke

Reaction score
I also have some questions. I just signed up for my account using my existing number and adding voice to it.
My questions are:
How do I export my contacts from my phone to either my gmail account or to voice. So I don't have to do it maunally.
I have two phones, my droid and my work phone. They way that I have it set up now is when someone calls either of my two phones it goes to my Voice vmail. What Id like to do is when someone calls my work phone have a different greeting than when some one calls my personal phone. Is this possible.
Also I think that now Im a user it will give me some invite, where do I go to find them.

Thanks for your input.

Caindris

Reaction score
Maybe it's just the cold medication (or not), but I've never had my brain twisted as much as I have trying to get my GV set up the way I want. Got the invite last night and set it up today - getting a GV phone number. Did I mention I'm medicated?

Assume that I'm willing/able to let everyone know my number has changed - to my GV number. I want to accomplish these goals -

- Use as few minutes as possible - I'm even fine sending most calls to VM before calling back - under the assumption all my GV # qualifies for VZ's "friends and family" thing.
- Use as few text messages (none) as possible. Use GV's SMS (and GTalk exclusively)

After 4 hours of reading threads and trial an error, I can't:

- get my Droid to stop sending me a VZ text message along with the GV notification for text and VM. I want NO VZ texts. Ever.
- get it to send less than 2 text messages EVERY time I initiate text or reply in GV's SMS messages.

With those two things covered, if possible, I think I can start enjoying GV like smarter - or less medicated users - have been able to.

Thanks!

Charlie
[email protected]

Log into google voice -> Settings -> Phones -> edit the phone you're getting the SMS text on -> uncheck "recieve SMS on this phone". You'll still get them in the GVoice app

superchachi

Reaction score
Maybe it's just the cold medication (or not), but I've never had my brain twisted as much as I have trying to get my GV set up the way I want. Got the invite last night and set it up today - getting a GV phone number. Did I mention I'm medicated?

Assume that I'm willing/able to let everyone know my number has changed - to my GV number. I want to accomplish these goals -

- Use as few minutes as possible - I'm even fine sending most calls to VM before calling back - under the assumption all my GV # qualifies for VZ's "friends and family" thing.
- Use as few text messages (none) as possible. Use GV's SMS (and GTalk exclusively)

- get my Droid to stop sending me a VZ text message along with the GV notification for text and VM. I want NO VZ texts. Ever.
- get it to send less than 2 text messages EVERY time I initiate text or reply in GV's SMS messages.

With those two things covered, if possible, I think I can start enjoying GV like smarter - or less medicated users - have been able to.

Thanks!

Charlie
[email protected]

When you say you are getting a VZ text message, please explain. As in a message sent by vz or a message sent to your vz. Turn off the notifications and set GV to notify you by going to settings from the GV app.

Let me know if you need further clarification. It takes some time but you will get it figured out.
Medic,

I get a text TO my VZ inbox from my GV number. I discovered this morning that I can turn that off my unchecking BOTH the Forward setting under Phone tab and the VM notification under the VM&SMS tab. However, the GV app's notification takes 5 minutes to arrive after a message is left.

So this accomplishes the "No VZ text use", but latency will be uncomfy. Is that as good as it gets?

superchachi

Reaction score

Thanks!

Charlie
[email protected]

Log into google voice -> Settings -> Phones -> edit the phone you're getting the SMS text on -> uncheck "recieve SMS on this phone". You'll still get them in the GVoice app
I gave that a whirl, but I still get the same result - a text to my VZ inbox from my GV number with the transcribed VM. The only way I've found to ONLY get the GV app's notification is to turn off forwarding under the Phones tab AND turn off SMS notification in the VM&SMS tab. But then it takes 5 minutes to get notification of a VM - where both would come simultaneously.

Did/do you ever get

mclaughlingrc1

Reaction score
i got a invite of ebay an i have tried to put it in and sign into my gmail account what do i do after that i don't see any sign in or anything...help

fegul

Reaction score
I only have the 450 minute per month plan so I can't add my Google number as a family/friend

For the texting, I have Google Voice setup to forward texts to my gmail address. The gmail client on the Droid supports pushing new messages to the phone so I get notified by gmail right when the text comes in and then I can either reply to the text from Gmail or I can open the GV app, refresh it, and reply.

I have a filter in my Gmail inbox set to label all messages that start with "SMS from" (which is what the subject of the email looks like from GV when it forwards a text) and then I can filter it out of my inbox manually later.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

superchachi

Reaction score
@Fegul,

I get it. I put "sms from" in the subject line for the filter, telling it to "skip inbox". then checked "apply label" and named it "GV SMS" folder. slick!

As for push from Gmail, I'd love a little extra help. I usually manually refresh or will set my widget to constant refresh - depending on need - in order to conserve battery. Are you able to keep refresh off and still get the email(GV SMS) in real time?

Thanks!

fegul

Reaction score
You shouldn't have them skip the inbox otherwise the phone won't notify you of a new message (the Gmail client on Android apparently only notifies you when something new comes to your inbox) which is why I manually move everything later. That part is pretty easy, all I do is just type this into the Gmail search box;
Code:
label:inbox AND label:[enter name of SMS label]
And then I just select all the messages that appear and archive them from time to time.

Regarding the push to the phone, I'm under the impression that pushing to the phone uses less battery than polling (having the phone check the mailbox at a set interval) and my battery life is still pretty good. (I get about a day and a half of battery life which is great for a smartphone like this) It's highly doubtful you'd be notified instantly if you disabled the push email.

csutke

Reaction score
So i have more questions, last night I had it set up and was working fine or at least i thought i was fine. My wife trys to calls and see it was working and at first it would just ring. Then I changed some setting, don't remember what, now when you would call it would come up with a Verizon error message that says number is disconnected, or is no longer in service. Please help.

Also is there a way to export my entire contact list to I can put it in to gmail?

Dragoro

Reaction score
Im extremely confused. Can someone help me? I have google voice with its own number with my cell phone listed under it. On my phone, I have it set to always use google voice. Does that mean that my sms I send on my phone will go through google voice and be free too or do I have to do that forward to email thing. If it is free, can I use handcent, or do I need to specificly use the gv app to send text messages?

superchachi

Reaction score
Here's what I think I've learned in the last two days. In order to use GV to SMS, always initiate using GV. And if you're on a Droid, you have to use "send" and not "done" in landscape mode in order for it to send 1 and not 2 SMS messages. This means opening the slide and hitting send.

superchachi

Reaction score
Thanks for your patience. I guess I missed how to have Gmail push instead of having to poll.

evil_O

Reaction score
Anyone have an invite they don't need? Would love a hookup if so. TIA

ThermalGuy

Reaction score
You CAN change

Just got my invite for Google Voice. It mentions two ways of signing up, and once you choose your option, you can't switch.

At this time it is not possible to switch between account types, so make your choice wisely!

Update!!! I just pulled the trigger on GV. As of 12-19-09 You CAN now elect to get a Google Voice number AFTER you have chosen to use your own number.

Also, I found out after digging a bit and posting a question to the GV blog that even if you do choose a GV number, your old numbers can still be called and will work.
Best of both worlds. If you are like me and heavily vested in an existing cell or home office number posted on websites, blogs, printed promotion and business cards, you don't need to dump it all and start all over. WOOT! You can now transition gradually as you want to and not be forced to jump right in with both feet.
Nice Job Google:icon_ banana:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can now transition gradually as you want to and not be forced to jump right in with both feet.
That was always possible. Some don't seem to realize that a GV number is like an alias -- it basically forwards to one or more existing lines. It doesn't technically replace any of your existing numbers.