Google Voice and SMS

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sov1et, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Silverwing

Silverwing Member

Ratings:
    +1
    What exactly does "apply label" command do?

2. fegul

fegul New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Labels are basically Gmail's version of folders although a little more powerful. messages can have multiple labels attached to them.

Currently I have several email accounts that are forwarded to my Gmail account. All messages I get are filtered by the account they came from and labeled accordingly so I basically can view any of inboxes in my other accounts just by selecting the corresponding label for the account.

Google Voice SMS-to-email is no different other than the fact that I have it skip my inbox so I don't have the clutter that you mentioned.

#26 fegul, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  3. Modulus

Modulus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Google Voice definitely 'watches' the incoming SMS, I have my GV number set to forward SMS to my Droid's cell number, but I have the Droid's Messaging app set NOT to notify me of new SMS. This results in instant arrival of SMS sent to my GV number.

I don't think that the GV app fetches when it receives an SMS, I think it 'skims' that SMS, sees that it's from a GV number (406 or whatever) and processes it instantly. There is no delay from the time that a cellular SMS arrives to the time the GV SMS arrives, they're perfectly synchronized..

It is not farfetched to think that the GV app could watch for incoming GMail that contain GV SMS; to the contrary, it would be a clean/free way to implement totally free/instant GV SMS on the Droid.

I had GV SMS -> GMail configured at one point, but don't remember it syncing instantly.
    Google Voice developers would be smart to tell us to use a special label and filter for GV SMS, then the GV app on android could skim email matching that 'key' label.

4. thaJack

thaJack Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As was said in the last quoted paragraph... forward to GMail rather than to your phone's SMS plan.

When you receive the GMail message, you can reply to it directly and it will go back to the sender as a normal text message would.

You can also filter them in GMail if you want (you have to set the filter up on GMail on the web, though). All messages you receive from Google voice will come from @txt.voice.google.com

I apply a "SMS" label to them so I can easily tell what is what.

5. thaJack

thaJack Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed this behavior, too... once I set the SMS messages to forward to my email they started coming as quickly or faster to my Google Voice app. Very strange.

If that is the case, then just set up the filter on GMail to mark them as read and archive/delete them and you may not even need to see them in GMail.

6. pcandroid

pcandroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Am I missing something? I use Handcent for sms both incoming and outgoing they go through Google Voice and are instant. Is this not normal am I missing something?

7. fegul

fegul New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Check your txt usage. If those messages are counting as SMS in your plan, it's not going through Google Voice completely.

More here: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=19f739f259f48929&hl=en

8. Gemni69

Gemni69 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Guys, Im new to this whole google voice and was hoping you guys can answer my question. I know that the number i get from google is a number i can give to any one and when they call this number it route to my phone that i have selected on google voice. What i want to know is that on the driod when i dial a number and i select the google voice option. Does that use my minutes or does it use the data plan to call out? I know the person i called get to see my google voice number. Also when i send a txt from my phone do i have a option to send it via google txt number or not? thx.

9. Silverwing

Silverwing Member

Ratings:
    +1
    When you use google voice, you call a number, and that number calls the person you are trying to reach: So yes, it will use minutes. In fact, if you are calling a Verizon Wireless number through google voice it will cost you minutes and your free mobile-to-mobile will be void because you are talking the google voice number.

10. Gemni69

Gemni69 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok. i thought something like that. It just ports the number over. If i call v2v number its best to just call direct from my cell number and only use the GV number when i dont want them to have my cell number. Got it. Is there any application out there that uses the data plan to make calls?

11. Gemni69

Gemni69 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    also another question. Can i have both. A google voice account with my new GV number and google voice with my current cell number so i can have visual voice mail with google? can i have both on 1 number?

12. Royal2000H

Royal2000H Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I disagreee.. I think the background GV app looks for incoming SMSes and maybe emails, and fetches, 406 number or not. There is a slight delay between native SMS and GV notification, depending on wireless connection, which makes me think it fetches rather than parses the SMS

So even though the sms/messaging app doesn't "integrate" with the gv app, the gv app looks for an incoming sms as a trigger

#36 Royal2000H, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009