Google Voice

buddy

Reaction score
Just got my invite for Google Voice. It mentions two ways of signing up, and once you choose your option, you can't switch.

One way is to use your existing mobile number and the other is to use create a new Google number.

Anyone who has Google Voice got any advice on pros / cons of each way?

Per the email:

If you haven't already heard about it, Google Voice is a service that makes using your phone much better!

You can either use Google Voice with your existing mobile phone number and get:

• Voicemail like email, with automatic transcriptions sent via email and SMS
  • Low cost international calls to the entire world
  • Custom voicemail greetings based on who is calling
OR choose a new Google phone number to get these additional features:

• One phone number that rings all your phones
  • The ability to send and receive SMS messages via email
  • Spam filter to block unwanted callers
At this time it is not possible to switch between account types, so make your choice wisely!

medicTHREE

Reaction score
I set up another number because that method does everything the other version does, plus adds another number for certain circumstances. You can still forward your voicemail to GV using the create a number option, which is what most people use it for. If you create a number you can sms from your computer/phone for free using GV and that number.

Note your quoted description. "additional features". Everything from the first option PLUS more.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I'm using my existing number....

OP
B

buddy

Reaction score
GV

I'm reading about all the features of GV. One they mention is

International calling: low cost calls to the world

but I can't find any info. on this feature. Anyone know about this or how it works? Would this actually make my Droid more like a world phone?

vanwas

Reaction score
I'd recommend creating a new number with Google Voice. After you do this, you can have it forwarded to all of your phones. You can also set up google voice to be your primary voice mail on your cell phone AFTER you have set it up with a new phone number.

If you elect to use your existing phone number, you won't be able to do everything that Google Voice has to offer. (ie: free SMS).

Another caveat, is if you set it up with your existing number, there is no way to change it to a unique Google Voice number. It's a one time deal.

Enjoy!

vanwas

Reaction score
I'm reading about all the features of GV. One they mention is

International calling: low cost calls to the world

but I can't find any info. on this feature. Anyone know about this or how it works? Would this actually make my Droid more like a world phone?

Make the Droid a world phone? No. Honestly, the phone would need GSM radios as well as the CDMA radios in it to be a true world phone.

The way it works, is you select a number to dial using either the app or the web interface. It then calls a google voice number locally (in the case of the app) and uses that connection to dial internationally. If you use the web app, you can enter the phone number to call, then chose which phone of yours you wish to use. It will the ring your phone (showing your Google Voice number as the number calling you). When you answer your phone, it will the ring the international number.

The rates are quite affordable and credits can be purchased in $10.00 increments.

BobC

Reaction score
I have new number with the last 4 as the same as my home number with the first 3 being available in my area anyways. I use gv as a call screening device. It will call any number(s) you want and you will hear the person's voice and name if they chose to give it when gv asks.

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
I've got a google voice invite I have no use for. first guy to ask for it in this thread can have it.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
If you elect to use your existing phone number, you won't be able to do everything that Google Voice has to offer. (ie: free SMS).

I have unlimited messages....No biggie

Another caveat, is if you set it up with your existing number, there is no way to change it to a unique Google Voice number. It's a one time deal.

At this time there is no way to change it....Can't see having another number when I've had mine for close to 10 years....

superchachi

Reaction score
Need a Google Voice expert!

Maybe it's just the cold medication (or not), but I've never had my brain twisted as much as I have trying to get my GV set up the way I want. Got the invite last night and set it up today - getting a GV phone number. Did I mention I'm medicated?

Assume that I'm willing/able to let everyone know my number has changed - to my GV number. I want to accomplish these goals -

- Use as few minutes as possible - I'm even fine sending most calls to VM before calling back - under the assumption all my GV # qualifies for VZ's "friends and family" thing.
- Use as few text messages (none) as possible. Use GV's SMS (and GTalk exclusively)

After 4 hours of reading threads and trial an error, I can't:

- get my Droid to stop sending me a VZ text message along with the GV notification for text and VM. I want NO VZ texts. Ever.
- get it to send less than 2 text messages EVERY time I initiate text or reply in GV's SMS messages.

With those two things covered, if possible, I think I can start enjoying GV like smarter - or less medicated users - have been able to.

Thanks!

Charlie
[email protected]

medicTHREE

Reaction score
Maybe it's just the cold medication (or not), but I've never had my brain twisted as much as I have trying to get my GV set up the way I want. Got the invite last night and set it up today - getting a GV phone number. Did I mention I'm medicated?

Assume that I'm willing/able to let everyone know my number has changed - to my GV number. I want to accomplish these goals -

- Use as few minutes as possible - I'm even fine sending most calls to VM before calling back - under the assumption all my GV # qualifies for VZ's "friends and family" thing.
- Use as few text messages (none) as possible. Use GV's SMS (and GTalk exclusively)

After 4 hours of reading threads and trial an error, I can't:

- get my Droid to stop sending me a VZ text message along with the GV notification for text and VM. I want NO VZ texts. Ever.
- get it to send less than 2 text messages EVERY time I initiate text or reply in GV's SMS messages.

With those two things covered, if possible, I think I can start enjoying GV like smarter - or less medicated users - have been able to.

Thanks!

Charlie
[email protected]

When you say you are getting a VZ text message, please explain. As in a message sent by vz or a message sent to your vz. Turn off the notifications and set GV to notify you by going to settings from the GV app.

Let me know if you need further clarification. It takes some time but you will get it figured out.