Google Maps 4.0 Update

FireDroid

Reaction score
Night mode was installed with the last update, it did not come with this new one. I know because I have used it a few time already.

There is no "switch" to turn it on, it adjusts automatically. I am not sure if it is time based or if it uses the proximity sensor but it works.

jmacal83

Reaction score
great update...i love the pinch zoom and Transit map (shows NYC subway paths)...i love it.

justbob

Reaction score
Night mode

Night mode is triggered using the sunset/sunrise times calculated for your current location. It works in navigation mode only (for now).

I read this on Google somewhere but lost the link :frown:

aeroeck

Reaction score
How do I choose which Google account I want to post a buzz?

aeroeck

Reaction score
Yea but I am talking about on my Android phone if I have 2 google accounts. I posted a buzz, but it wouldnt allow me to switch to my other account

gatorbait

Reaction score
I can see it ending up being used a lot for advertising.

Also A guy in my somewhat small town just buzzed that he had 2 hockey tickets if anyone wanted them.

I think this could end up being a pretty big deal and really change some things up.

One thing that may end up being needed is some sort of rating system or ban system. We all know some dude is going to clutter the map with pics of his wang.

I can really see this taking off as something helpful too, but it really depends on if the masses follow suit. If everyone just buzzes useless information like they do in their Facebook status updates, Buzz will be worthless.

However, imagine bringing up your Buzz layer in Maps and seeing a Buzz that a great local band is playing downtown that you did not know about. Or a Buzz about the location of a recent car crash or speed trap. Or like the example a previous poster already saw: someone needing to sell 2 tickets to a local sporting event at the last minute.

If everyone asked themself, "Will other people actually care about what I'm posting?" before they Buzzed, then we could end up getting a lot of great information from it. I wonder, is there a way to make certain Buzzes only show up to people in your Google Contacts/Buzz list? If that's possible, we may see less public postings of things that are only relevant to people's friends.

zakany

Reaction score
...imagine bringing up your Buzz layer in Maps and seeing a Buzz that a great local band is playing downtown...

The first buzz I looked at what something like this. A guy at a nearby bar buzzed about the Cav's game. Sheesh. I forgot about the game! I got to catch the end of it, and also now know that the wings aren't bad but they have an excellent beer selection.

The other major use I've seen are phone stores buzzing about their great deals. :mad:

I expect it to be of some help when on vacation, though. Or during an emergency.

I can neither send nor read buzzes when driving, so traffic info isn't going to be a useful feature.

armeddroid

Reaction score
Buzz is off the hook.
I been using it all morning.
Interestingly, the more you pan out your map, the more buzz covereage you get.
So, if your in Texas, and you zoom out and see other states that have buzz, they all will get listed. I am in GA and I am talking to a friend in Cali via Buzz.

SirSyeco

Reaction score
I've been playing with Buzz since last night.. It does seem cool and does seem to have some possibilities. It will go through many phases while in its infantsy.. ppl will either realize that they are tired of reading random stuff, so they start posting more appropriate things. Or, it will be a constant battle of who can post the most random stuff for the lolz.

I think I would enjoy both :icon_ banana:

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
Buzz is off the hook.
So, if your in Texas, and you zoom out and see other states that have buzz, they all will get listed. I am in GA and I am talking to a friend in Cali via Buzz.
Zoom way out and look at all the buzzes all over the world

armeddroid

Reaction score
Buzz is off the hook.
Zoom way out and look at all the buzzes all over the world

Haha nice!
Thas bad ass. Thanks, man...i didnt go that far till now.

Scribble

Reaction score
I wonder why google maps for the desktop doesn't have a layer for Buzz?