Gingerbread Roms for Original Droid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
gingerguts.jpeg

If you can't wait to experiment to see how Gingerbread OS 2.3 runs on your "old-reliable" original Droid, then a couple of our forum members "got you covered." Neubanks89 worked up a quick Rom that won't do Google Apps, and steinman, utilizing neubanks89's previous work, created one that adds Google apps support. That's the kind of indirect community teamwork that makes the world a better place! Thanks to these guys you can breathe some new life into your early generation Droid.

They don't have everything working, but their time and effort show through in their work regardless. User feedback has been tremendous. Everyone seems excited by how quick Gingerbread runs, even on the older phone. It must be a very efficiently coded OS build.

For more support here is neubanks89's thread: neubanks89's Gingerbread Rom thread w/o Google apps support.
And, here is steinman's thread: steinman's Gingerbread Rom thread WITH Google apps support.

Thanks again to these genius code-masters for digging into the guts of this cookie, and just in time for Christmas too!

Picture Source: Neatorama.com - Article Source: Droid-Life.com
by dgstorm

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Sounds great but I prefer to wait until it's out of the oven and Google says it's done before I try it out.

chefb

Reaction score
Awesome!!!! Keep in mind droid x users still on the 30.3 bootloader/kernal. Love those devs!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Everyone seems excited by how quick Gingerbread runs, even on the older phone. It must be a very efficiently coded OS build.
Older? OLDER???? :icon_evil: OK, yeah I realize a phone is obsolete 2 weeks after it's released. I have no problem with that. But couldn't we find a kinder, gentler word? How about "mature"? "Well-seasoned"? Personally, I prefer "Virile and still filled with piss and vinegar."

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I can't wait for one of these ROMs where everything works :D
Do you think we'll have the same madness we had when Froyo came out?

-Matt

depends on what you mean by madness
Well, I realize you were talking about ROMS, and my prejudiced view is only intelligent, reasonable people use ROMs. So that's not an issue.

But as Froyo began to get distributed, the forum was filled with otherwise "normal" people screaming, "IS IT HERE YET, IS IT HERE YET?!?!?!?!" "DAMN GOOGLE!" "DAMN MOTOROLA!!!" "DAMN VERIZON!!"

Oh and don't forget that oldie but goodie, "WILL I LOSE ROOT?!?!?!?!?"

-Matt

joeybarclay

Reaction score
Do you think we'll have the same madness we had when Froyo came out?

-Matt

depends on what you mean by madness
Well, I realize you were talking about ROMS, and my prejudiced view is only intelligent, reasonable people use ROMs. So that's not an issue.

But as Froyo began to get distributed, the forum was filled with otherwise "normal" people screaming, "IS IT HERE YET, IS IT HERE YET?!?!?!?!" "DAMN GOOGLE!" "DAMN MOTOROLA!!!" "DAMN VERIZON!!"

Oh and don't forget that oldie but goodie, "WILL I LOSE ROOT?!?!?!?!?"

-Matt

I don't think that will happen with 2.3. This is a thread for the original droid and I don't think that that many people think that it will be updated by verizon/moto. Some of that hate was moto's fault if I remember correctly they announced a release date that they missed very poorly and did not confront the community about it.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I don't think that will happen with 2.3. This is a thread for the original droid and I don't think that that many people think that it will be updated by verizon/moto. Some of that hate was moto's fault if I remember correctly they announced a release date that they missed very poorly and did not confront the community about it.
Ah gee, you're betting against the update? :icon_eek: Or you didn't say what you think, but I do agree that there is a pessimistic view on the forum.

I dunno, I see the glass as half-full. I'll bet a six-pack we get it--and by that I mean standard OTA. In the end as you noted it doesn't matter...many of us will root and use a modded version anyway.

-Matt

lvcircuit

Reaction score
Everyone seems excited by how quick Gingerbread runs, even on the older phone. It must be a very efficiently coded OS build.
Older? OLDER???? :icon_evil: OK, yeah I realize a phone is obsolete 2 weeks after it's released. I have no problem with that. But couldn't we find a kinder, gentler word? How about "mature"? "Well-seasoned"? Personally, I prefer "Virile and still filled with piss and vinegar."

-Matt

I'm going with "classic" myself. :) At least, that's the spin my company puts on any outdated software we still need to support.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

-Matt

I'm going with "classic" myself. :) At least, that's the spin my company puts on any outdated software we still need to support.
Classic. EXCELLENT! And after classic comes Vintage. :)

-Matt

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

-Matt

Classic. EXCELLENT! And after classic comes Vintage. :)

-Matt
+1:icon_ banana: