Will the Droid 1 handle Gingerbread?

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
1ghz-req-android23.jpeg

Although it's only been 1 day since Google announced the new Android OS, there are still many questions we have. When and what phones will get the upgrade? I'm sure we'll start getting the official responses from Verizon, Motorola, HTC, and Samsung over the next few months. Although it hasn't been confirmed, we believe the Droid 2, Droid Pro, Droid X, HTC Incredible, Samsung Vibrant will handle this update without a hiccup, however what about the Droid that started it all? LG made a statement today that might have Droid users feeling like the end of the road is near. LG responded to a user inquiring about his LG Optimus S and the possibility of an upgrade to Gingerbread with:

So, the Optimus line won't be getting the Gingerbread update because they have a 600MHz processor,and the minimum requirements for Gingerbread require 1 GHz processor. In other words: it's not possible to update the processor, unfortunately.

We've reached out to our sources and they claim that the D1 will eventually receive this update even though the processor speed is inline with the Optimus. Only time will tell!

Source: DroidDog.com

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've said this in other threads, and I will say it in here.

FRG83D is the FINAL official Droid 1 OS release.

Anything beyond FRG83D will be courtesy of 3rd party developers.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
We've reached out to our sources and they claim that the D1 will eventually receive this update even though the processor speed is inline with the Optimus. Only time will tell!
Source: DroidDog.com

I'm not sure who your sources are, and obviously I will not ask.

However, MY sources tell me FRG83D is the end of the line. To date, they have been 100% accurate.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I say Meh.

Here's why ...

First and formost, there will come a time that the next OS won't run on the original Droid, or run WELL.

That said, this is not that release.

Second, most of the new features besides the UI are for hardware that the Droid doesn't have. FF cam, RFI, etc.

So that said, the dev's out there will par down the 2.3 to it's essentials that we would and could use ont he Droid.

The example is already on mine, the gingerbread KB port.

Third, the original Droid can meet the 1ghz requirement while OC'd. so wil it run? Sure, well? Don't have a clue, but we will find out ...

This is just LG garnering some attention, as the rumor of 1Ghz was addressed by Google a while ago already ...

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure who your sources are, and obviously I will not ask.

However, MY sources tell me FRG83D is the end of the line. To date, they have been 100% accurate.

And just to add, the reasons specified to me had nothing to do with processor speed; rather the fact that the D1 is EOL'ed and Moto has moved its developers onto other projects.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Look at it like this:

It has 256 Ram

It has a slower cpu

The Ram alone would tell me dont hold your breath. Some folks had to upgrade PC's to run the latest desktop OS's...some of us might have to with our phones...

It happens.

I remember having to upgrade my video card to run a specific PC game.

It happens.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I say Meh.

Here's why ...

First and formost, there will come a time that the next OS won't run on the original Droid, or run WELL.

That said, this is not that release.

Second, most of the new features besides the UI are for hardware that the Droid doesn't have. FF cam, RFI, etc.

So that said, the dev's out there will par down the 2.3 to it's essentials that we would and could use ont he Droid.

The example is already on mine, the gingerbread KB port.

Third, the original Droid can meet the 1ghz requirement while OC'd. so wil it run? Sure, well? Don't have a clue, but we will find out ...

This is just LG garnering some attention, as the rumor of 1Ghz was addressed by Google a while ago already ...

I agree with this. But...key word is overclock. We already know the general public wont be doing that, so if it being under 1Ghz is a factor it definitely wont get released officially.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to add I havent ran any custom ROMs on my Droid 1 since getting the X. (I havent ran any on the X either and I had it since July...lol)

I was gonna try MIUI, but just wasnt in to it...Gingerbread will have me pulling out my Droid 1 again to run ROMs.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Since the release of Froyo my Droid 1's responsiveness has suffered slightly even with trying out different overclocked kernels. I don't expect Gingerbread to increase the responsiveness of my D1 if it is even made available for it. Personally I wish I could put the internal components of the D2 in the casing of my D1 cause I don't like the way the D2 looks. Right now I'm curious to see what FRG83D has in store for the D1, maybe it's Froyo with some Gingerbread crumb topping on it ;) Anyway, I guess us early adopters will have to wait and see... the suspense is killing me :shocked:

RemyL75

Reaction score
OK, I doubt that VZW will release a 2.3 update for the Droid 1. But, if they did, they would prob overclock the CPU. Didn't they do that with the release of 2,2, or have I been running too many different ROMs to keep things straight?? It's very possible lol
Anyway, if they release it, then i def want to see how it works on Droid 1, but I won't hold my breath. Purple is NOT my color lol

mattg1

Reaction score
Right now I'm curious to see what FRG83D has in store for the D1, maybe it's Froyo with some Gingerbread crumb topping on it ;) Anyway, I guess us early adopters will have to wait and see... the suspense is killing me :shocked:

I have been running FRG83D for several days now and it is just bug fixes not much to see.

There is no “hard” processor requirement for gingerbread, It's been repeated several times, moto will decide if we get it. But for my opinion I don't see any reason why we won't get it.