Will the Droid 1 handle Gingerbread?

patfactorx

Reaction score
theres nothing in 2.3 that is beyond the realm of a good rom for the Droid...

UNC

Reaction score
I dont get what the big deal about gingerbread on the og droid is about...

dont get me wrong, i have the og droid and love it, but as said earlier, most big things are hardware upgrades we dont have, and the new look can easily be done with a theme on a rom... i know there were a couple tweaks here and there but nothing hugely impacting anything for our phones...

I know yall will all hate me for this, but there ya go

What if it is just optimized as much as 2.1 or 2.01....
Froyo is no where near as polished.

B

BUFFALOMADMAN

Yeah same with froyo there was so much hype I just never understood it I mean yea flash and that but I didn't think it was as big of a deal that everyone made it out to be so I don't really care about this I would rather have news on phones that are coming and when with specs!!!

Bilgediver

Reaction score

dont get me wrong, i have the og droid and love it, but as said earlier, most big things are hardware upgrades we dont have, and the new look can easily be done with a theme on a rom... i know there were a couple tweaks here and there but nothing hugely impacting anything for our phones...

The biggest deal with froyo was the JIT Compiler. I know most people only care about scrolling lag, that is, how responsive is the UI, but the JIT Compiler allowed for better responsiveness and processing behind the scenes. I did notice a bit of a difference when opening and running apps. The UI may not have been as polished, but that's why I went with a different home replacement launcher.

Droidforums.net appified!

UNC

Reaction score

The biggest deal with froyo was the JIT Compiler. I know most people only care about scrolling lag, that is, how responsive is the UI, but the JIT Compiler allowed for better responsiveness and processing behind the scenes. I did notice a bit of a difference when opening and running apps. The UI may not have been as polished, but that's why I went with a different home replacement launcher.

Even with JIT disabled Froyo isn't anywhere near as good as Eclair.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Bilgediver

Reaction score

Eclair was the ultimate of pre-JIT.

I'm sure they rewrote things from scratch for that JIT Compiler in Froyo so of course its not as polished. I'm sure Gingerbread from Froyo will be like Eclair 2.0.1 to 2.1

I'm not saying disable the JIT Compiler, I'm saying the JIT Compiler allowed for more efficient use of the processor. Why do you see Quadrant scores showing 2.2+ devices more than twice the score of 2.1 devices?

Once again I have to remind people to stop paying attention to the UI. The UI is only part of the Phone, although its the most obvious part. If you don't like how your phone "feels" then try a different home replacement (The most popular ones here are ADW Launcher or LauncherPro). Froyo used the processor more efficiently (although coming from a Droid, they all had crappy memory management, I had to use a memory management tweaker to give me just a bit more free RAM), so for the same tasks I did notice slightly better battery life, and because of the new kernel, it allowed for more powerful games, or more powerful apps.

Bilgediver

Reaction score

Ok so then are you running an Eclair ROM right now?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I feel and see the difference on my Droid 1 after Froyo..

Even on the X I see the difference:

Scrolling thru Running Services used to stutter on my X before Froyo.

Opening and scrolling thru pages in pdf's is faster with Froyo.

Those are just 2 examples of improvements.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I feel and see the difference on my Droid 1 after Froyo..

Even on the X I see the difference:

Scrolling thru Running Services used to stutter on my X before Froyo.

Opening and scrolling thru pages in pdf's is faster with Froyo.

Those are just 2 examples of improvements.

I completely agree with you, Froyo was a huge improvement for me, too.

UNC

Reaction score

It depends what day it is. I run Froyo sometimes, but usually just standard 2.1. (Rooted of course)

The apps open smoother, the homescreen scrolls smoother, and the integrated apps seem to be much more responsive. The gallery is FAR better on Eclair as the images aren't down-scaled. There are a few other things.

With that being said, Froyo does give a slight boost to emulation. I'll use an automotive analogy here. Froyo is the Mustang GT 5.0 with Walmart tires, while Eclair is the Mustang V6 with P Nero Zeros.... Sure the GT boasts the HP advantage, but that only shows when at speed. Coming from a dead stop, having the racing tires would give you more traction, and when you get a turn thrown at you........

Bilgediver

Reaction score

It depends what day it is. I run Froyo sometimes, but usually just standard 2.1. (Rooted of course)

The apps open smoother, the homescreen scrolls smoother, and the integrated apps seem to be much more responsive. The gallery is FAR better on Eclair as the images aren't down-scaled. There are a few other things.

With that being said, Froyo does give a slight boost to emulation. I'll use an automotive analogy here. Froyo is the Mustang GT 5.0 with Walmart tires, while Eclair is the Mustang V6 with P Nero Zeros.... Sure the GT boasts the HP advantage, but that only shows when at speed. Coming from a dead stop, having the racing tires would give you more traction, and when you get a turn thrown at you........

I think that has something to do with Froyo's memory management. One reason why Task Killers REALLY broke down with Froyo, I guess. I'm running Froyo, but I'm also running a Memory Management tweaker, which allows me to have a tad bit more RAM. The app I'm using is Autokiller, but you can also use apps like Minfree.

However, that's an interesting analogy. I would've used something more akin to Eclair is like an automatic transmission whereas Froyo is more of a Standard. With Eclair, the engine is ready to go all you need is a bit of gas, and there's a bit of an "inertia" already there when you're ready to go. However once you get up to speed its not as efficient. Froyo is more like a standard, it needs to be clutched in to be able to start up from a dead stop, but once you're up to speed its more efficient.

illmatic636

Reaction score
Whoever said Eclair was better then Froyo must be smoking something.

Really doubtful that Droid1 will get the GB update. That's why they are giving us that out dated FRG83B bs substitute. lol Just my opinion.