Getting out while the getting is good

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Love the G2. Really do. But after reading the article last night stating they were putting their focus on TV's and not on smartphones I see very little to no future support for the G2. And there will be no follow-up to look forward to. Which will be a big disappointment. Looks like I will be jumping ship back to Motorola. Good thing I bought the G2 at Best Buy and have a 45 day return window. Something told me to steer clear of LG due to their reputation in other product areas. Figured I would give them a chance since the G2 was such an impressive device. Should have gone with my gut instinct.

It was fun while it lasted.

Last edited:

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I went into the purchase fully expecting it to never be updated. After looking at the development community though and comparing it to the Moto X it was a no brainer. Of course rooting and ROMs isn't for everyone, and if I didn't root and ROM I too would be out a here!

But to what? Samsung devices are locked down now. HTC One is a beauty with great development but its getting older now and those bezels! A G2 GPE is what I want!

What Motorola are you going with?

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Grrrrr. I really don't want to. Love this phone. Maybe I will just wait it out. Guess if they drop support I could always rely on the development community. I just don't like flashing my phones anymore. Wonder how long it will be before the development community drops support too.

If I went back to Moto I would go get another Droid Maxx.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I hear ya G. Kinda makes me regret my decision. I'm on the wait and see mentality right now but I'm also up for an upgrade in April, so if they have the 6GB deal then I may look at upgrading to something different. Hopefully we at least get 4.4.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Still not sure if I want to jump ship with Verizon.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I'm actually thinking about getting out of VZW and going to Straight Talk so I may just hold off until February.

Tap'd from my LG G2

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you do make sure to sell your plan on eBay. They're going for several hundred at the moment. (If its unlimited)

I am currently using over 100gb per month on my Verizon plan. My phone is nothing more than a glorified hot spot. This makes my ties to Verizon deep, a little too deep imo. But I am able to save money by not having a DSL or Cable internet bill every month, just my <$80 Verizon bill. If I jumped ship I would need to get Cable internet at $50 a month, then ST @$45 a month. Its almost worth it. For the fact I spent $139 on the phone makes it worth it because I got it on the "glitch". That won't happen again I don't think but I'm locked in for another two years.

The Maxx Development is atrocious. Hasn't it been out longer?

If I didn't have unlimited I would dump Verizon for sure.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have always been leery of LG. I was a Moto fan until I tried the S3. Since I started using my phone for work email, I am not allowed to root so having the Samsung locked down is no problem.

Big Ry

Reaction score
If there's no support from LG, doesn't that mean there's no drivers? And no new drivers means buggy (at best) ROMs. This was/is the issue with the galaxy nexus.

Tapped from my G2

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The Moto X Developer Edition just got its Warranty back and stock images. That's tempting. But again there's no development for it so what's the point of the unlockable bootloader?

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If there's no support from LG, doesn't that mean there's no drivers? And no new drivers means buggy (at best) ROMs. This was/is the issue with the galaxy nexus.

Tapped from my G2

Drivers will come from Qualcomm, the hardware vendor. TI released updated drivers, Google dropped support because it was outside their 18 month update window.

Since the S800 is in a bunch of devices it SHOULD continue to receive updated binaries, but with how things have been going you can no longer expect support much past 18 months.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Well I am gonna have to stay on the ship after all. I am 5 days out of my return window. Hopefully this all pans out to be a rumor. Or if not at least they will support current devices for a while longer. I just can't see them getting out of the game after hitting a home run and having a good chance of winning the World Series.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Well I am gonna have to stay on the ship after all. I am 5 days out of my return window. Hopefully this all pans out to be a rumor. Or if not at least they will support current devices for a while longer. I just can't see them getting out of the game after hitting a home run and having a good chance of winning the World Series.

Unfortunately poor marketing budget suggests the public won't agree with us. I as well went in knowing it would be a long time if not forever before we'd be updated OTA, but at the same time (and as much as I love android) look at the history of major updates, hell even minor ones and the bugs/problems it created across a plethora of devices. Hell aside from the D1 not a single update on any device came without major bugs or glitches it seems.

Shipped software is superior 95% of the time to upgrades IMO. I fear them anymore.

Big Ry

Reaction score
Drivers will come from Qualcomm, the hardware vendor. TI released updated drivers, Google dropped support because it was outside their 18 month update window.

Since the S800 is in a bunch of devices it SHOULD continue to receive updated binaries, but with how things have been going you can no longer expect support much past 18 months.

Ok, good to know. What about LG specific hardware like the screen though?

I'm still pissed about this whole thing lol. I'm not dropping $700 on a note 3.

Tapped from my G2