Getting out while the getting is good

Discussion in 'LG G2' started by Garemlin, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Unfortunately poor marketing budget suggests the public won't agree with us. I as well went in knowing it would be a long time if not forever before we'd be updated OTA, but at the same time (and as much as I love android) look at the history of major updates, hell even minor ones and the bugs/problems it created across a plethora of devices. Hell aside from the D1 not a single update on any device came without major bugs or glitches it seems.

Shipped software is superior 95% of the time to upgrades IMO. I fear them anymore.

2. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,409
  3. Big Ry

Big Ry Active Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Ok, good to know. What about LG specific hardware like the screen though?

I'm still pissed about this whole thing lol. I'm not dropping $700 on a note 3.

Tapped from my G2

4. NewAge

NewAge XOOM Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +14
  5. NewAge

NewAge XOOM Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +14
    As far as I know, no binaries are needed for the screen when compiling a ROM. The GPS, CPU, Camera, BT, I'm sure I'm missing one but those are the usual ones with issues. At least when ROM cooking. You can often grab the old ones from Vendor files of previous versions.

6. NWRULES

NWRULES Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So, in other words you're saying the G2 is not getting 4.4? Seriously? Just stumbled upon this thread. Yikes

7. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Ratings:
    +403
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
    Nothing cast in stone and it is all rumor and speculation. But if the article is in fact true I'd expect to see very little future support.

Tap'd from my LG G2

8. SFGate

SFGate Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Recently bought an LG phone because it met my needs, if I had known this info, might have put a damper on it. But that doesn't change the fact that the phone had what I wanted when I bought it. Going to have trouble finding a replacement phone.

9. Dalvik_Cache

Dalvik_Cache Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +125
    LG actually has a lot of innovative devices coming out right now. They have the LG Flex, the G2, etc. I don't think they are done by any means. If anything they are pursuing some of the most innovative products to date.

10. YellowJacket

YellowJacket Active Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I read that too. But, this is my thought on the subject. The market is highly driven by the latest and the greatest and with all the carriers moving towards a model that allows people to "upgrade early" for a fee... then there is no reason for the phone manufacturers or carriers to push out more than one update as long as people are buying new phones. It used to be that a flagship phone would have longer than 6 months on the top of the list, now with many carriers, they have more than one flagship and they seem to be getting bumped pretty quickly. .. unless you own a Nexus/GED phone

As long as there is a strong Dev community then I expect we will be able to upgrade to the latest and greatest OS advancements for quite a while after LG drops support. So.... KEEP THAT G2 and be happy!!! :)

David

11. garywojdan81

garywojdan81 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Not to mention that LG has publicly denied the info in that article. Only time will tell.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

12. evilmonstertruck

Ratings:
    +0
    That is a really bad excuse to not like this phone. Who cares about official updates. Thats what awesome devs like the ones we have working on this phone are for.

Search tags for this page

futuresupportfor lg g2