LG Electronics shifts focus from smartphones to TV

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
19076-albums200-picture68025.jpg

Well it was fun while it lasted. It looks like the flagship G2, Flex and the Nexus 5 will be the last we see of LG in the smartphone arena. For a while anyway. What does this mean for the Nexus line??? Back to Samsung??? Or maybe we will finally see a Motorola Nexus. A 5" version of the Motorola X in Nexus form would be a sweet phone for sure.

Here is the bad news.:

A preemptive move to reduce risks

Struggling in the smartphone business, LG Electronics is shifting its focus to TV. As the financial circles began to put pressure on the chaebol conglomerates using funds as their weapon, LG Electronics is believed to have started to make adjustments to send a positive signal to the market. With the year-end reshuffling just in the offing, a massive shake-up of the MC Division (smartphone) and the HE Division (TV) is forecast.

According to the industry on November 19, LG Electronics recently began to make advance adjustments for the manpower restructuring of the MC Division. Currently, the management is known to be trying to choose between a shock treatment focused on reduction in labor force and gradual downsizing. During the year-end season of personnel realignment, it will be possible to sense the general direction of the restructuring of LG Electronics. Transfer of personnel between the MC Division and the HE Division at the top and middle level of managers is likely to be brisker.

LG Electronics is more likely than not to maintain the current level in the R&D sector of the MC Division, but greatly reduce the support organization. Some forecast that LGE would reduce 10% of the entire manpower of the MC Division. LG Electronics has been restructuring the manpower intermittently over the years, e.g. receiving job-change applications from some of the employees of the MC Division. The focus of the restructuring was placed on some support departments like marketing and purchasing. However, it seems that not only the MC Division, but also the entire company will undergo large-scale personnel realignment.

“Recently vice-chairman Koo Bon-joon is often mentioning the smartphone business risk,” a core insider of LG. “In the long run the smartphone business is important, but he is trying to concentrate on the TV business, something that LGE can do well in.”

Although LG Electronics recently released its strategic smartphone G2, its global smartphone market share fell to No. 5 in Q3. LGE was overtaken by Chinese companies Huawei and Lenovo as they rapidly increased smartphone shipments. Its market share fell from 5%-ish to 4.7%.

The pressure from the financial circles, e.g. the main creditor banks, seems to have played a big role. Recently financial institutions seem to be paying much attention to managing the risks of chaebol groups in the wake of the STX and Tongyang crises. The Dongbu Group succumbed to the pressure from financial institutions, and gave up the semiconductor business. It is believed that LG Electronics cannot ignore the concerns in the financial circles over the smartphone business. LGE will reinforce its competency in the smartphone business in the long run, but concentrate its resources on TV to overcome the crisis it faces.

“With the premium market slowing down and Chinese companies charging forward in the sluggish mid-to low-priced market, there is not much choice for LG Electronics,” said a securities analyst. “For starters, it may be better off to improve its financial status by increasing its TV sales, and then invest properly in the smartphone business.”

Source: Korea IT news

Astrix

Reaction score
LG G2 will be my first and the last LG Branded phone.

Anyway, I never regret owned LG G2 even if there is no firmware update.

Still enjoying and loving my G2 after divorce with iFruit and Note N7000

TapaTalking from Republic™Of Android

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I didn't know they ever shifted focus AWAY from tv's. LG makes a lot of stuff.

Maybe with Google backing Moto they don't see enough volume for a 4th OEM to make money on phones.

jspradling7

Reaction score
LG G2 will be my first and the last LG Branded phone.

Anyway, I never regret owned LG G2 even if there is no firmware update.

Same here. I'm glad I bought a G2 it's a cool phone with a lot of good things about it. My S4 still gets the lion's share of carry time though. I won't say that I won't buy another LG phone some day but I'm not excitedly looking forward to the next LG phone like I am the Galaxy phones.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, I gave them a chance.. We'll see what they do about the update. If nothing, I'm done. It's frustrating when a company dumps support for a device right after you purchase it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Where I work we have over 500 LG TV's and I'm not impressed. We've had to replace over a dozen and about half don't accept HDMI input. Love their cloths washers!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
well that explains the price drop shortly after launch. still happy with this phone and no need to root just yet.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I'm gonna see if I am still within my 45 day window and take this thing back now. I love it. But I see very little or no future support.

Tap'd from my LG G2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Where I work we have over 500 LG TV's and I'm not impressed. We've had to replace over a dozen and about half don't accept HDMI input. Love their cloths washers!

I've always kind of felt like they are a 2nd-tier mfr. I think they've managed to create a little better perception just with volume, but you never hear about them (maybe except for flip phones) as a leader in quality. TV's for a long time have bee all about Sony, Panasonic and Samsung.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
So weird after developing a flexible screen and all that tech.

I would guess they may become a supplier of smartphone/tablet displays as the R&D wouldn't seem to be that disconnected from their tv panels. But they'll cut their losses on actually designing and manufacturing phones.

Big Ry

Reaction score
This makes zero sense. They basically just came to the smartphone scene a year ago and have made great progress. Especially now with the G2, they can't even keep them in stock. And what about their new curved screens and upcoming nexus devices? I've always thought LG had pretty solid build quality, all the way back to flip phones. They're one of the best out. I just can't understand how they could pull out now. I'll be pissed if I don't get kit kat on this brand new, freshly released G2.

Tapped from my G2

devdeuce

Reaction score
This makes zero sense. They basically just came to the smartphone scene a year ago and have made great progress. Especially now with the G2, they can't even keep them in stock. And what about their new curved screens and upcoming nexus devices? I've always thought LG had pretty solid build quality, all the way back to flip phones. They're one of the best out. I just can't understand how they could pull out now. I'll be pissed if I don't get kit kat on this brand new, freshly released G2.

Tapped from my G2

I agree, they get to a point where they have I'm guessing one of the most popular phones and then give up on it. Pretty strange business.

Big Ry

Reaction score
I'm still considering this a rumor since it only came from a Korean news agency. Was it the Korean central news agency? Lol

Tapped from my G2