Getting Custom Kernels Running on the Droid X

sephtin

Reaction score
Boy, am I glad I didn't get a Droid X !!!

I see all this crap you guys are having to endure now and it freaks me out because I was so close to getting the X without doing any research.

My Droid 1 just took a crap (half of the touch screen sensor went dead), so I went on into the Verizon store and looked at all the Motorola crap and then after playing with an HTC Incredible and realized it was miles ahead of the Moto products, I got that one. It is thinner than my D1, doesn't have that clunky mechanical keyboard, and the UI (Sense with 2.2), is much more polished than Motorola, and right then I knew I made a good choice. Then I came here and saw this thread and see that Motorola is starting to acts like Steve Jobs and lock everything so airtight we cant even swap out the bootloader.

I'm already rooted on my new Incredible, and I unlocked the bootloader and the /system and have Clockwork all installed and have already tried several ROMs. Boy, I feel like I really dodged a bullet there. I think I'm pretty much done with Motorola anyway, since my D1 only lasted 4 months before the capacitive touch sensor puked out on it. Stupid slider was getting all loose and sliding in and out like an old antique dresser drawer anyway. After only 4 months...

meh, lots of things we can still do with the X... and our phone feels like a solid phone, rather than the flimsy cheap plasticy pos. Really didn't like the HTC, so chose the phone for what it was, and modding came second... Glad I got an X, myself, even if it IS locked...
ALTHOUGH, this will probably be my last moto product, unless VZW and/or MOTO WAKE UP!

The corp's are still selling phones like they're dumb appliances, instead of computers. If dell sold a computer, and said "you can't change the system at all, and can only install the apps listed in our application market".. they'd go out of business...
All mfg's and Cell corps need to do, is to put out a 1click app, that resets the phone to factory defaults, and make that step1 of troubleshooting when someone calls it... that's what all of the OEM computer corps do (only via CD).. I have NO IDEA what they're thinking, driving away the people that want to actually DO STUFF on a device they paid for.. it's just asinine...

andylulzyou

Reaction score

I see all this crap you guys are having to endure now and it freaks me out because I was so close to getting the X without doing any research.

My Droid 1 just took a crap (half of the touch screen sensor went dead), so I went on into the Verizon store and looked at all the Motorola crap and then after playing with an HTC Incredible and realized it was miles ahead of the Moto products, I got that one. It is thinner than my D1, doesn't have that clunky mechanical keyboard, and the UI (Sense with 2.2), is much more polished than Motorola, and right then I knew I made a good choice. Then I came here and saw this thread and see that Motorola is starting to acts like Steve Jobs and lock everything so airtight we cant even swap out the bootloader.

I'm already rooted on my new Incredible, and I unlocked the bootloader and the /system and have Clockwork all installed and have already tried several ROMs. Boy, I feel like I really dodged a bullet there. I think I'm pretty much done with Motorola anyway, since my D1 only lasted 4 months before the capacitive touch sensor puked out on it. Stupid slider was getting all loose and sliding in and out like an old antique dresser drawer anyway. After only 4 months...

Yeah my next phone is probably going to be the Incredible HD, Motorola really pisses me off with this locked bootloader bs

NattyBee

Reaction score
meh, lots of things we can still do with the X... and our phone feels like a solid phone, rather than the flimsy cheap plasticy pos. Really didn't like the HTC, so chose the phone for what it was, and modding came second... Glad I got an X, myself, even if it IS locked...
ALTHOUGH, this will probably be my last moto product, unless VZW and/or MOTO WAKE UP!

The corp's are still selling phones like they're dumb appliances, instead of computers. If dell sold a computer, and said "you can't change the system at all, and can only install the apps listed in our application market".. they'd go out of business...
All mfg's and Cell corps need to do, is to put out a 1click app, that resets the phone to factory defaults, and make that step1 of troubleshooting when someone calls it... that's what all of the OEM computer corps do (only via CD).. I have NO IDEA what they're thinking, driving away the people that want to actually DO STUFF on a device they paid for.. it's just asinine...

Indeed! personally, I love my X, it may have a locked bootloader, but that doesn't mean we're stuck with it the way it came...with the dev community we have, there's still lots that can be done even with a locked bootloader...plus, the size/weight of the Moto Droid phones is definitely something I like-they feel durable, strong, I don't have to fear as much that I'll break the damn thing!

NattyBee

Reaction score

after only 4 months huh? you must have abused the crap out of it...my D1 took massive amount of abuse before it went, and the touch screen still works, it's just that I broke the glass...plus I've never heard of anyone having their Droid go bad like that...isn't the Droid known for it's durability? haha, I had mine for 8 months before I broke the screen, and it took alot before it broke. I miss my poor Droid...so if you know anyone selling one...ok, I'm off topic ;)

dubznup421

Reaction score
Umm im a total noob here but let's start with saying I have the droid x and I also am rooted and have also tried various roms. Im currently running rubix focused overclocked at 1.4ghz stable with a quadrant score of 2150. Now correct me if im wrong but I believe the X wins this round. Locked bootloader????

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

samsonite801

Reaction score
Umm im a total noob here but let's start with saying I have the droid x and I also am rooted and have also tried various roms. Im currently running rubix focused overclocked at 1.4ghz stable with a quadrant score of 2150. Now correct me if im wrong but I believe the X wins this round. Locked bootloader???

Yup, the bootloader is still locked. I still haven't heard of anyone cracking the 2056-bit (or whatever it was) encryption yet...

samsonite801

Reaction score

BTW, this new HTC Incredible I got feels a lot more solid than my old D1, and doesn't even give the impression that is made out of plastic. It is definitely lighter weight, and I have the plastic snap-on protective cover on it and it has fallen out of this lame holster twice already and taken direct hits onto the ground with no incident whatsoever. So far I'm impressed...(I'm sure it wouldn't have faired so well had it not had the protective guard though).

Also, I can see why Motorola may want to try to lock the FW on the hardware (because people want to overclock phones which can lead to overheating and damage and more warranteed phones), but a fine line needs to be drawn in the sand between locking a phone to stop people from overclocking, and locking the phone to keep people from deleting apps they don't want forced down their throats.

I think the CPU clock speeds should be somehow locked in the hardware for warrantee reasons, but the OS should be wide-open for people to install whatever OS they want on it. They could also make the phone have a factory image stored somewhere on it so the user can restore back to that easily in case he wants to go back, oh wait, I guess that is essentially how it is now with the Droid X locked bootloader (the factory image is still really there if you don't interrupt the boot process). But they should at least somehow lock the CPU speed better, because I can see this as a valid reason to want to lock a phone.

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
My best guess for locking it is so they don't have to cover software modifications to the phone. Its not the overclocking because you'll have to get it up to around 100 celcius to really start damaging components other than the battery. I really think they should just throw something in saying they don't cover damage due software modifications and unlock the phone.

Sent from my DROIDX

samsonite801

Reaction score
My best guess for locking it is so they don't have to cover software modifications to the phone. Its not the overclocking because you'll have to get it up to around 100 celcius to really start damaging components other than the battery. I really think they should just throw something in saying they don't cover damage due software modifications and unlock the phone.

Sent from my DROIDX

Problem with that is that everyone just unroots their phones prior to exchanging them under warrantee and so they never even find out that the phone was all rooted to begin with.

Aram58

Reaction score
Yea I've had 3 warranty replacements and i always just flash the sbf before in send it in. I didn't get replacements from overheating it. i was trying to get a good processor (is that a dick move? haha)

Sent from my stunning rooted droid using tapatalk.

sephtin

Reaction score
BTW, this new HTC Incredible I got feels a lot more solid than my old D1, and doesn't even give the impression that is made out of plastic. It is definitely lighter weight, and I have the plastic snap-on protective cover on it and it has fallen out of this lame holster twice already and taken direct hits onto the ground with no incident whatsoever. So far I'm impressed...(I'm sure it wouldn't have faired so well had it not had the protective guard though).

Also, I can see why Motorola may want to try to lock the FW on the hardware (because people want to overclock phones which can lead to overheating and damage and more warranteed phones), but a fine line needs to be drawn in the sand between locking a phone to stop people from overclocking, and locking the phone to keep people from deleting apps they don't want forced down their throats.

I think the CPU clock speeds should be somehow locked in the hardware for warrantee reasons, but the OS should be wide-open for people to install whatever OS they want on it. They could also make the phone have a factory image stored somewhere on it so the user can restore back to that easily in case he wants to go back, oh wait, I guess that is essentially how it is now with the Droid X locked bootloader (the factory image is still really there if you don't interrupt the boot process). But they should at least somehow lock the CPU speed better, because I can see this as a valid reason to want to lock a phone.

"oh wait, I guess that is essentially how it is now with the Droid X locked bootloader (the factory image is still really there if you don't interrupt the boot process)"

Uhmm, no. the factory reset option doesn't touch the /system partition... so if you load a ROM, factory reset will just clear /data and /cache, and you keep the ROM. The ONLY way to get back to factory, is via a LEAKED .sbf file using a utility called RSD Lite. So... If it weren't for the leaked .sbf, there would be no going back.. pretty much. :p The factory boot loader/kernel/etc. is still there.. but because of the hacks available so far, we can at least change out the /system dir. Otherwise, the DroidX would be a dumb appliance, and not a smart phone.. imho.

Aram58

Reaction score
I also bump. (above)

Sent from my stunning rooted droid using tapatalk.

kennydied23

Reaction score
If you dont check twitter he says that he's unsuccessful. Hes at the same point where everyone else is who tried to crack the bootloader.

Oh well, at least aliasxerog tried. Props to you for trying.