Getting Custom Kernels Running on the Droid X

Discussion in 'Droid X Roms' started by aliasxerog, Nov 2, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. TWong1200

TWong1200 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is awesome news. Whenever you need beta testers, count me in!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  2. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good to hear! I'm glad this is still alive.
  3. fpatano

fpatano Member

Ratings:
    +0

I wish I knew how to write drivers... Ill see if I can learn it...
  4. drewden123

drewden123 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you guys heard of the user DZO over at xda? DZO is a genius with a PhD in computer science. He's the one that pioneered Android on the HTC Vogue (a WinMo phone) and made it possible for all the other winmo htc's to get android (a la HD2, etc). he rewrote all the drivers and such to work with those phones and I'm sure he is smart enough to do this. However, he lives in new zealand i believe and therefore cannot really get an X. Hopefully something can work out with this though...
  5. Webst3r

Webst3r Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know this sounds crazy, but planetbeing, and iPhone developer ported Android to the iPhone (duh!), and he's written several divers for the project. He has a lot of experience with the kernel (That I've read). You may also want to join #droidlife on freenode and see if you can get a hold of birdman, he has been involved in many projects around the android community. And one more person, that I think would be the best to talk to and the most obtainable is Sebastian Kramer at C skills. He's an amazing Linux hacker.

If you need anymore info join:
    #droidlife (freenode) or #androidchat (freenode), I'm Webst3r in there, feel free to PM me.
  6. MrDonBonJovi

MrDonBonJovi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All I can say is good luck and any work you do is greatly appreciated by all!
  7. Lithoss

Lithoss New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    this

If the moto updates have the ability to change the bootloader and update the kernel, surely they must contain some useful info for us. there's got to be a key buried in there somewhere that unlocks the bootloader.

someone really needs to tear into these updates. i really wish i knew what i was doing so i could. maybe one of these days ill learn the android OS workings enough to be useful...
  8. aliasxerog

aliasxerog Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    Ideally I would like to see a cracked bootloader. My boot flowchart is pretty complex and the big thing slowing me down right now is the kexec kernel module and getting all the different parts of dxinit (that's what I named the project btw) running and debugged. I'm also making it as source portable as I can so maybe other guys can use it to get kernels running on all phones. Also the source code to the standard init it pretty dirty and weeding through it all is nasty. I've been throwing around the idea or porting gentoo's openrc to android because it supports most of the stuff I need out of the box and I already work on that so I know the code damn well. Give me some feedback on what you think about my last idea and if you can help I'm always looking for it.

Cheers,
    Matthew Veety
  9. Boblank

Boblank Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's really nice to hear that the locked bootloader is still being worked on. The knowledge and time being put in is greatly appreciate. I would love to contribute, unfortunately I have no knowledge of linux kernels. Just wanted to say thanks and good luck.
  10. pierced_droid

pierced_droid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought koush has a fix for the bootloader?? He selling it in the market for 2.00

Sent from my etcha-sketch
  11. sephtin

sephtin Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Koush found a way to hijack into the boot process to load a custom recovery.
    Little bit different...
  12. fpatano

fpatano Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Koushs Bootstrapper allows access to /system at the boot process which allows you to run custom code at boot, but you still cannot load a custom ROM or Kernel. The custom ROMs you see available are customizing the appearance and apps available in the various folders in /system, it does not allow for the ROM to be overwritten. What this fine gentlemen is attempting to do is to allow a custom Kernel to be booted during the boot process so we could install CyanogenMod for instance.

dancedroid
  13. ferraritmnt

ferraritmnt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ready to sbf

count me among the willing

I wish I knew enough about anything to help. Good luck
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  14. andylulzyou

andylulzyou Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This would be awesome.. the fact the Motorola locked this is ridiculous. The whole reason Android managed to grow so fast and that Motorola is even relevant right now is that they exploited the fact that Apple held 100% control over their device and they put out a product that the users had control of.

Hypocrites.
  15. ferraritmnt

ferraritmnt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well but Motorola will tell you that they are open and leaving the user a choice because it's only 90% closed off instead of 100%.
Search tags for this page

custom kernel droid x

custom kernels droid x

droid x custom kernel

droid x custom rom kernel
droid x kernals

droid x kernel download

droid x kernels

kernel droid x
motorola droid x roms and kernels
suggested kernel for motorola droid x