Getting Custom Kernels Running on the Droid X

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
This is the thread that got this all started. Here mostly for historical reasons now that we have our own forum. This is still a very good read, and you always get something new out of it. It's kind of like your favourite book. :D

I've been a linux kernel developer for years and recently got a Droid X. The first thing I did was root it and install a pretty unraped froyo ROM I found these forums. I really, really want to install cyanogenmod on the phone because it would be pretty sweet. My idea consists of booting up in to the standard kernel and having a custom init to use kexec(8) to bootstrap the custom kernel. This would completely bypass the whole locked-crazy-omg-efuse-killer thing. Even if the standard kernel doesn't have kexec(8) enabled you can still execute a linux kernel because it is a relocatable elf on most systems. The whole setup isn't ideal but it could get custom kernels running until there is a better solution.

EDIT: If the are any android devs that know the system inside and out I would absolutely love your help.

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
id like to see what u can do! give it a go

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Where can you download Motorola's Android sources?

mcsinfl

Reaction score
You should probably get in touch with koush, he ported cyanogen to d1 and was working on port to DX

SSX-DX/Tapatalk/SlideIT

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
How do I get in touch with him?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
irc #koush probably the easiest way.

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
on what server?

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
well I need a server to point irssi to you know :p

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
does anyone have any idea where the damn .kconfig file is store in the main android git tree? I can't find it anywhere.

eulerphi8

Reaction score
Have you also checked out the efforts to bypass the locked bootloader on the milestone? They tried using a kexec attack to initiate a second boot but couldn't get the radio to initialize correctly. The wiki is at www.droid–developers.org. Maybe some of the code there will be useful.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk