Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I actually just returned my droid x because I like my Droid 1 better. The minor performance increase over my rooted Droid 1 did not justify the locked bootloader. Motorola's only reason for locking the bootloader is so they can withhold updates encouraging you to buy a new phone sooner. Isn't it odd that the Milestone is on 2.1 when the droid is on 2.2 being they are basically the same phone? It is because the milestone is locked and people can't put custom ROMs on it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Actually, they locked it because people were turning in too many phones they had soft-bricked and were too lazy or stupid to fix. At $500 retail value per phone that mounts up in a BIG hurry. If your theory was true then explain why the D1 got FroYo months(!) ahead of the DX. :)

And you can put ROMs on the Milestone. There's a project to keep CyanogenMod on the Milestone that's updated with every stable release. The reason why the Milestone is on 2.1 is mostly due to the fact that every area that got a Milestone got a different version of it.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
I actually just returned my droid x because I like my Droid 1 better. The minor performance increase over my rooted Droid 1 did not justify the locked bootloader. Motorola's only reason for locking the bootloader is so they can withhold updates encouraging you to buy a new phone sooner. Isn't it odd that the Milestone is on 2.1 when the droid is on 2.2 being they are basically the same phone? It is because the milestone is locked and people can't put custom ROMs on it.

Actually, they locked it because people were turning in too many phones they had soft-bricked and were too lazy or stupid to fix. At $500 retail value per phone that mounts up in a BIG hurry. If your theory was true then explain why the D1 got FroYo months(!) ahead of the DX. :)

And you can put ROMs on the Milestone. There's a project to keep CyanogenMod on the Milestone that's updated with every stable release. The reason why the Milestone is on 2.1 is mostly due to the fact that every area that got a Milestone got a different version of it.

Because the droid 1 is unlocked and doesn't have blur. The locked version, milestone, never got froyo. The locked bootloader actually makes phones brick more often, so unfortunately your theory doesn't work :/

kingsway8605

Reaction score

I think there are a lot of benefits to the dx over the og. I have both. I don't know why they locked it really besides the kernel and init commands. Bloat has nothing to do with bootloader so that's not it. Maybe you're right. I don't know...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

A motorola exec said they locked it "for business reasons"

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I just want it cracked. I don't lose sleep over it tho. My og is still fun. I just want a middle finger to moto.

SanJuan

Reaction score
Okay just an idea but why does the bootloader updater from this: " TBH Patches: 2.3.340-System, Baseband, 2.3.340-Kernel, Bootloader

MBM 30.04 Updater (also known as the bootloader)

This file can be used to update your phones bootloader from any version to the current 30.04 version. Although the current files 2.3.340 and 2.3.320 both worth with 30.03 and 30.04 this will provide you with the most current MBM." work. Is there any way to harness the code in this to "update" to a custom bootloader/kernel?

kingsway8605

Reaction score
I just want it cracked. I don't lose sleep over it tho. My og is still fun. I just want a middle finger to moto.

It will never be cracked. The level of encryption on the dx is insane. Obviously someone could leak the passcode that moto uses for ota upgrades, but moto could very easily just change the passcode. When moto decides you should buy a new phone, you will not be getting anymore upgrades, just themed stock roms. History has shown this is usually at the 1 year mark for android phones and the 3 year mark for apple phones.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Okay just an idea but why does the bootloader updater from this: " TBH Patches: 2.3.340-System, Baseband, 2.3.340-Kernel, Bootloader

This file can be used to update your phones bootloader from any version to the current 30.04 version. Although the current files 2.3.340 and 2.3.320 both worth with 30.03 and 30.04 this will provide you with the most current MBM." work. Is there any way to harness the code in this to "update" to a custom bootloader/kernel?

There is basically a passcode that moto uses for their updates and it is heavily encrypted. Beyond military grade encryption.

SanJuan

Reaction score

There is basically a passcode that moto uses for their updates and it is heavily encrypted. Beyond military grade encryption.

wouldn't this passcode be hidden somewhere in this updater?

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I have opened the mbm.bin file and I think I'm looking right at it.

sephtin

Reaction score

No. The update is signed by the key. So.. if any changes are made at all to the files that will be updated (the MBM, etc.) it needs to be resigned to work.

The "key" isn't a file or code that's somewhere inside the update.. the entire update is signed, and then when installed it's checked to verify it matches.

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
However I don't know a lot but I see it set up kind of like a hex editor and after each line of numbers is a line description. I see where is says
ootloader: %d
SV check passed.
MBM SV check passed.
MBM - sp_SV_Efuse - stay

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

No. The update is signed by the key. So.. if any changes are made at all to the files that will be updated (the MBM, etc.) it needs to be resigned to work.

The "key" isn't a file or code that's somewhere inside the update.. the entire update is signed, and then when installed it's checked to verify it matches.
Thank you for explaining that! I'm just trying to learn, not crack anything and that is useful info!

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
So sephtin, in (stupid autocorrect) simple terms it's like the update is built at Moto, signed by their machines/people, sent out to us, and our handsets simply verify the signature?

Last edited: