Custom Kernel for Droid X????

mmead1143

Reaction score
My limited experience with roms:

So I have the D1-Droid and have used Bugless Beast, CPA16 (Peter Alfonso as well) but this past week have been running CM7. All good builds but I think CM7 works best with my device.

So I'm pretty noobish overall. I'm NOT the guys that changes roms every week and/or tweaks things forever. I'll fool with the rom, tweak settings and let it roll for a while.

My brother has a Droid X and upon seeing my now kick ass D1 over the last 6-8 months came on board and rooted his Droid X.

With the D1, overclocking has been easy, load a custom zip-kernel, boot up, adjust the setting on the CPU settings and see if it works. It all of this happens and is stable...I've been good to go. If not, back to recovery mode...load the original and keep on rockin.

Now on to my brother's Droid X: I've read several places that the X doesn't have/can't use custom kernels.

So...is that correct? I've googled for a couple days now but the information has been sparse. If so, how/what's the best way to overclock for a noob like me? I've seen some guides where you can manually go in CM7 and change settings (voltage, etc.) but that seems WAY over my experience level. I've seen a couple apps that can auto-find the correct settings and then apply them. Apps like Jrummy's and Quick(something)...are they worth the $1-2 bucks?

Thanks for reading and any information is appreciated.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
SetCPU for root users is your app. Free and autodetects voltage and clock settings. Yeah, no custom kernels, but maybe when..er if Motor unlocks our bootloaders Q4 this year....

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

gambit07

Reaction score
My limited experience with roms:

So I have the D1-Droid and have used Bugless Beast, CPA16 (Peter Alfonso as well) but this past week have been running CM7. All good builds but I think CM7 works best with my device.

So I'm pretty noobish overall. I'm NOT the guys that changes roms every week and/or tweaks things forever. I'll fool with the rom, tweak settings and let it roll for a while.

My brother has a Droid X and upon seeing my now kick ass D1 over the last 6-8 months came on board and rooted his Droid X.

With the D1, overclocking has been easy, load a custom zip-kernel, boot up, adjust the setting on the CPU settings and see if it works. It all of this happens and is stable...I've been good to go. If not, back to recovery mode...load the original and keep on rockin.

Now on to my brother's Droid X: I've read several places that the X doesn't have/can't use custom kernels.

So...is that correct? I've googled for a couple days now but the information has been sparse. If so, how/what's the best way to overclock for a noob like me? I've seen some guides where you can manually go in CM7 and change settings (voltage, etc.) but that seems WAY over my experience level. I've seen a couple apps that can auto-find the correct settings and then apply them. Apps like Jrummy's and Quick(something)...are they worth the $1-2 bucks?

Thanks for reading and any information is appreciated.

You are correct, you can't load custom kernels. As far as overclocking I used Android Overclock in the market. I think it's a couple bucks but yes, definitely worth it. You also get a couple other governors with the app, personally I think the smartass governor is the smoothest, it works well.

OP
M

mmead1143

Reaction score
Thanks a ton...just needed confirmation on my research :)