Getting Custom Kernels Running on the Droid X

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
My whole goal is getting cyanogenmod installed on the Droid X.

It's time to blow this scene...

MrKleen

Reaction score
I wish we could get a crew working on this. If there was a way to get this egg cracked I think many would pay for the solution. I'd pay $50 for a workaround that would allow my X to be as free as my original Droid 1.

I was given the Droid 2 as a replacement for a faulty D1, then traded it to my wife to get an X. I hate to say it but I honestly miss my D1 and often think I've went backwards.

I would like to punch someone in the nose.

Cyanogenmod is a great goal AliasXerog!

Marius1

Reaction score
I keep hearing kexec mentioned. Kexec would be awesome since it would allow us to hijack the moto kernel and boot into another kernel bypassing the bootloader. Unfortunately it support x86 arch only last i checked...

sephtin

Reaction score
I keep hearing kexec mentioned. Kexec would be awesome since it would allow us to hijack the moto kernel and boot into another kernel bypassing the bootloader. Unfortunately it support x86 arch only last i checked...

Not trying to be rude or anything, but curious how much of the thread you've actually read? :)

Might be worth a read!

Marius1

Reaction score
Oh hey sorry it was mentioned on the 2nd page of the thread.

Not trying to be rude or anything, but curious how much of the thread you've actually read? :)

Might be worth a read!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

cruckus

Reaction score
If this works you saved me from buying a new phone now that my x could have a new reason to live

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
If this works you saved me from buying a new phone now that my x could have a new reason to live

IMHO. I don't think a new phone is gonna make anyone happy. As far as a replacement for the X goes. Do you really think newer devices will be any more open than the previous? I'm happy with my X.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for more customization with my phone.

//Tap'd on CM8's DX w/DF app\\

v4npro

Reaction score

IMHO. I don't think a new phone is gonna make anyone happy. As far as a replacement for the X goes. Do you really think newer devices will be any more open than the previous? I'm happy with my X.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for more customization with my phone.

//Tap'd on CM8's DX w/DF app\\

Well if for some reason the Bionic somehow get's hacked(in a reasonable time) to allow custom kernels then that's my next phone. Buuut, I'm probably going to be with the X till Christmas next year probably.

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Thought.....I won't ever pretend to know as much as guys like alias will probably forget....so if this doesn't make sense, forgive me. :)
I know people have referred to somehow capturing the OTA update that unlocks the bootloader to update it. Using that they talked about brute force to crack the encryption and so on. My thought is what if instead of trying to crack the encryption all together, is it possible to some how hijack that moment when when it's unlocked? Example: going ota from boot .03 to .04 via moto ota. In that process, can an init or sequence be forced into the ota that hijacks that process and leaves the bootloader unlocked? The rest of the ota wouldn't be applied obviously because in a sense one would be simply "using" that opportunity to fire up a new init sequence so instead of the rest of the ota being applied, a custom ROM is instead applied. Does that even make sense?? Take out the commands in the ota after the boot is unlocked and apply a new set of commands I guess is what I'm saying? I don't know. This is more of a "just cuz I'm wondering" kind of thing and all part of my learning how this stuff works. Thanks Alias! :)

MrKleen

Reaction score
I don't know if that makes sense or not but I hope those that understand this stuff are working on it!

KHeeney5

Reaction score
Ninja, that was the most beautiful thing I have ever read.

I think. :D

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I've been reading over the thread a bit (mostly the posts I've missed) and I love seeing all the support. Also, this program will work on all phones with an ARM7 in it. The big issue I'm having is porting kexec from ARM6 and x86. I think too the bootloader is probably a lost cause. I would love to see an unlocked one on the non-dev droids, but I don't think anyone is really working very hard on it at this point.

It's time to blow this scene...

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Ninja, that was the most beautiful thing I have ever read.

I think. :D

Lol. I re read it like 7 times to see if I could re understand it. Lol.
However with the post from alias just now I don't feel much like loling..... :(

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App