Freaking out about Jellybean and losing Foxfi!

steve9830

Reaction score
I have the newly updated PDANet v4.12.1 installed and working fine! It is required that you also install FoxFi 2.12 . (Read the full description about PDANet on Google Play). I ALSO installed the FoxFi key AND the FoxFi add-on, but I don't know if that was necessary. You can start everything from the PDANet icon; when the main screen comes up just click on what you want to do. Its easy, give it a try! If you mess up, just cycle your phone off and back on & try again. There is nothing to worry about like there would be if you do a root.

recDNA

Reaction score
But what is the advantage of PDANet over just plain foxfi?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

StanH

Reaction score
You can start everything from the PDANet icon; when the main screen comes up just click on what you want to do.
My hotspot works but not the same way. I cannot start a hotspot with the PdaNet icon. Only with the FoxFi icon and the FoxFi Key icon. Both FoxFi icons bring up the same screen. The hotspot takes only 20 seconds to activate from that screen.

Here is the setup of my Droid Razr Maxx HD:
I have the paid version of PdaNet+ v4.12.1, FoxFi v2.12.2, and FoxFi Key v2.12.2, but not "FoxFi add-on".

I have set the Phone Lock to "Pattern" and tried settings of "Immediately", "5 seconds after sleep", and "30 minutes after sleep". Changing those settings had no effect.

I do not know what would happen if I turn off the pattern lock.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Today I downloaded only the free version of Foxfi so far. It works just fine. I initially set it up with a PIN and then after I realized that the unlock would be on the home screen as well, went into settings and changed it to "pattern". Now i just have the pattern unlock on the home screen. When I open Foxfi and activate the hotspot, it jsut says checking subscription status and then works just fine. I have my Galaxy tab connected right now through it.

I know that the full version of PDANet will give more usage, but in what way is it limited on the free version? Is is amount of data used totally and then it locks out or is it daily data usage or is it number of times used??

SallyC

Reaction score
But what is the advantage of PDANet over just plain foxfi?

According to PdaNet+ description on Play, "Currently PdaNet+ is a free upgrade from both PdaNet and FoxFi so please replace your existing PdaNet or FoxFi with PdaNet+. All future updates will go into PdaNet+ only." So I'm not sure about functionality differences right now, but it sounds like in the future you would want PdaNet+ installed.

aarong03

Reaction score
According to PdaNet+ description on Play, "Currently PdaNet+ is a free upgrade from both PdaNet and FoxFi so please replace your existing PdaNet or FoxFi with PdaNet+. All future updates will go into PdaNet+ only." So I'm not sure about functionality differences right now, but it sounds like in the future you would want PdaNet+ installed.

I used the SQ Lite method to get the free WiFi. Is there a difference between this method and foxfi/pad net?

SallyC

Reaction score
I used the SQ Lite method to get the free WiFi. Is there a difference between this method and foxfi/pad net?

Quite honestly, I am probably the least qualified person to answer that. :blink: I've not used the SQ Lite method. I had FoxFi and when it stopped working, I just waited hoping they'd come up with a solution since I had no immediate need. So maybe someone else can answer that. Sorry.

recDNA

Reaction score
I just tried the free version and it did work on my razr maxx hd. I connected to 2 different laptops and tried briefly on each and both had good data speed. about 30 mbps. I don't know how long before it would cut me off due to the free version limitations.

I normally only use wifi hotspot if my power or cable go out at home but it is good to know that fir now it works.

One odd thing I had to do to get it to work was change channel from auto to 11. Until I manually set channel my computer could not "see" the hotspot. I switched from trace unlock to pin because i prefer it but it still seems to work fine. Did anyone else have to set a channel to get it to work?

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
How do I, or can I, get rid of this second grey and black icon pictured, just takes me to the phones hotspot settings.

We are the Droid!!
You will be assimilated!!
Resistance is futile!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-10-19-51-55.png
    Screenshot_2013-04-10-19-51-55.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 373

traceytaylor

Reaction score
FoxFi works with Jelly Bean now.

It's great that Jellybean is around the corner, but not at the expense of losing Foxfi. That is such a great app and saves $50 month.
Does anyone know if there are any other free apps for non-root that will wifi tether?
Really bummed about this.

ms4teacher

Reaction score
I'm buying the app now. Free is fine but the app its really worth the money. Not having to pay Verizon an EXTRA MONTHLY FEE for data that can't roll over and lost forever? Its worth it.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX with faulty speaker!!

glsmaxx

Reaction score
Let me know...I'll be there for you, maybe not "THERE", but here anyway! :D

Rooting is so simple nowadays thanks to the Developers out there that even a complete novice can do it.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD

I'm not wit Verizon. I have tethering free on my plan. I miss the root apps I had before. Like Avast if someone took the phone forcing god and listening in without them knowing would b worth it alone. I have no use to flash ROMS but I've had some say the phone I have isn't root able then some say sure... A $600 investment isn't something I can take a chance on. It's an XT908. RAZOR MAXX. CDMA. I have even seen it called a "spyder" in an xda thread. Makes me think about an old flip or an iPhone.. I can NOT believe I said that.. But why would they make 10+ different RAZR Maxes? Even my ICS is different. I had an X before. I could root it in 5 minute, literally. Zergrush. Why did they freaking go backwards? Morons. I knew the second Gargle got in the mix it was downhill from there.

NCCamper

Reaction score
Hi,

PDANet+ working fine on the Razr Maxx with JB (OTA). I had older version installed on my old Droid 2, and on my laptop. I updated the apps on both devices, and it is working perfectly. Note that the MAXX app comes from Google Play; the laptop upgrade app came from Download PdaNet+. Works pretty much the same as before: MAXX: Settings>Dev Options>Enable USB Debugging. On the laptop, start PDANet+, enable USB Tether, connects instantly!

Good Luck!
John

glsmaxx

Reaction score
Personally, I just pay for the Internet. 4g is spotty @ best here and 3g is way too slow for my liking. The carrier I use (very few choices) probably won't let us have it available on our phones much longer. Id root this one, like the others before but a XT 908 is, contrary to popular belief, not exactly a Razr Maxx. Actually it is called a Spyder overseas. My last phone was a Milestone X. MB910 if my memory is correct. It was a close enough to a Droid X to use the same root programs. Zergrush was/is about as easy to root with as I've seen. Until I see XT908 in compatible lists lists people saying sure, it'll work just isn't close enough. I sure miss root.