Now that FoxFI is gimped, what is the next best no-root WIFI tether app?

Irontyke

Reaction score
Hmm.... I took a look at Open Garden, but it runs on Bluetooth not wifi, and requires a download to the laptop ahead of time. It isn't for casual use, nor older non-Bluetooth computers. Oh well, it was a suggestion someone might use.

meatloaft

Reaction score
Hmm.... I took a look at Open Garden, but it runs on Bluetooth not wifi, and requires a download to the laptop ahead of time. It isn't for casual use, nor older non-Bluetooth computers. Oh well, it was a suggestion someone might use.

You definitely have a point, I wasn't thinking about the download to the computer. As for the bluetooth, you're correct there as well on a non-bluetooth computer. I suppose it's just as cheap to buy FoxFi as it is to buy a bluetooth dongle. ;-) So, for those of you who have bluetooth and plan on using it pretty much on the same PC like I do, it does in fact work well. I don't use either one enough to warrant extra cash.

steven.rn

Reaction score
Call me silly, but I just hit the mobile hotspot app. Works like a charm. Verizon can't charge me for data (I'm unlimited) and I thought there was a court order that they had to not stand in anyones way of wifi tethering.

It just dawns on me my phone is rooted- dunno if that makes a difference.

GotnFX

Reaction score
Call me silly, but I just hit the mobile hotspot app. Works like a charm. Verizon can't charge me for data (I'm unlimited) and I thought there was a court order that they had to not stand in anyones way of wifi tethering.

It just dawns on me my phone is rooted- dunno if that makes a difference.

If I had to guess either a) you have hotspot for Verizon already on your account or b) expect a $30 charge on your next bill..either way you may want to find out. If you don't, they'll keep charging you that extra $30 a month since this maybe the first time you activated it.

Joe Droid

Reaction score
If I had to guess either a) you have hotspot for Verizon already on your account or b) expect a $30 charge on your next bill..either way you may want to find out. If you don't, they'll keep charging you that extra $30 a month since this maybe the first time you activated it.

X2. I found that out the hard way. If you have unlimited, it doesn't include the factory installed hotspot.

lathe2nd

Reaction score
Foxfi is now working on Jellybean for unlimited users!

Hey, after recently updating to jellybean and losing my free hot spot I came close to deleting Foxfi and paying verizon $30.00 a month again. (I am grandfathered in with unlimited and they charge 30 because of that) I am glad I left the app installed, because this morning it auto updated. It required the installation of a security certificate and now works perfect with jellybean!

biggdave92

Reaction score
Lathe, what version foxfi do you have? I have 4.12.1

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

revbradl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Maxx
Twitter
revbradl
Hey, after recently updating to jellybean and losing my free hot spot I came close to deleting Foxfi and paying verizon $30.00 a month again. (I am grandfathered in with unlimited and they charge 30 because of that) I am glad I left the app installed, because this morning it auto updated. It required the installation of a security certificate and now works perfect with jellybean!

I'm also a FoxFi user - on Verizon with unlimited data (Droid Razr Maxx [un-rooted]). Yesterday's update also fixed it (WiFi Tethering) for me! I'm on FoxFi version 2.12.2 (with FoxFi Key installed). dancedroid Happy days are here again!

SallyC

Reaction score
I'm also a FoxFi user - on Verizon with unlimited data (Droid Razr Maxx [un-rooted]). Yesterday's update also fixed it (WiFi Tethering) for me! I'm on FoxFi version 2.12.2 (with FoxFi Key installed). dancedroid Happy days are here again!

I posted this elsewhere, but fyi, according to PdaNet+ description on Play, "Currently PdaNet+ is a free upgrade from both PdaNet and FoxFi so please replace your existing PdaNet or FoxFi with PdaNet+. All future updates will go into PdaNet+ only." So it sounds like in the future you would want PdaNet+ installed if you don't already.

Reaction score
I posted this elsewhere, but fyi, according to PdaNet+ description on Play, "Currently PdaNet+ is a free upgrade from both PdaNet and FoxFi so please replace your existing PdaNet or FoxFi with PdaNet+. All future updates will go into PdaNet+ only." So it sounds like in the future you would want PdaNet+ installed if you don't already.

PdaNet has it all messed up cuz if you go to the PdaNet+ in the play store it tells me directly from the play store to install FoxFi 2.12 for the latest updates cuz PdaNet+ is 2.10 version. Now I am reading that they are bundling the two together. This is getting way more complicated than it needs to be.

SallyC

Reaction score
PdaNet has it all messed up cuz if you go to the PdaNet+ in the play store it tells me directly from the play store to install FoxFi 2.12 for the latest updates cuz PdaNet+ is 2.10 version. Now I am reading that they are bundling the two together. This is getting way more complicated than it needs to be.

I totally agree it's more complicated than it needs to be. I wish they would put some "transition instructions" on their site. I see people happy FoxFi is working and, if I understand their blurb on Play correctly, these folks are going to be disappointed down the line when upgrades are not forthcoming. If Pdanet+ is their path forward, and it's a free upgrade now, I wish they'd have it on their website (unless I've missed it) or as a pop up when you open up FoxFi on your phone.

I think it's also not the clearest what each app does and which you need for what. But maybe it's just me - I'd never used PdaNet before, just FoxFi.

FoxFi updated on my phone yesterday - which is how I even got alerted that maybe something had happened and I'd get my wifi hotspot back. I'm not even sure anymore how I realized PdaNet was part of the equation and I should download PdaNet+.

Reaction score
I totally agree it's more complicated than it needs to be. I wish they would put some "transition instructions" on their site. I see people happy FoxFi is working and, if I understand their blurb on Play correctly, these folks are going to be disappointed down the line when upgrades are not forthcoming. If Pdanet+ is their path forward, and it's a free upgrade now, I wish they'd have it on their website (unless I've missed it) or as a pop up when you open up FoxFi on your phone.

I think it's also not the clearest what each app does and which you need for what. But maybe it's just me - I'd never used PdaNet before, just FoxFi.

FoxFi updated on my phone yesterday - which is how I even got alerted that maybe something had happened and I'd get my wifi hotspot back. I'm not even sure anymore how I realized PdaNet was part of the equation and I should download PdaNet+.

Yeah I really think they should have stopped using both former app names so interchangeably and named the new app something different entirely.

Now I never used PdaNet either but it is my understanding that PdaNet is the app that is used for USB and bluetooth tethering and FoxFi used for the wifi tethering. They both if I am not mistaken don't require root. That is about as far as my understanding goes. lol

Don't even ask me how PdaNet and FoxFi got all entangled with each other. I am guessing one bought the other but I couldn't tell you which did what. lol

parkschr

Reaction score
Can anyone help me get the foxfi hotspot to work on my razr maxx? I paid for the app and have Jelly Bean. Use to work before Jelly Bean.

Installed the certificate, created the pattern lock, renamed the network name, and changed password

I get the following message on my Droid Razr Maxx:

Fail to activate hotspot. Fail to enable hotspot. Your phone is not yet supported by foxfi