FoxKat's Razr/Maxx Jelly Bean Leak Classroom W/MattyP & Friends

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
FoxKat's RAZR/MAXX to JELLY BEAN LEAK Classroom, w/ MattyP and friends!

OK folks, first things first.

I must remind you that flashing ANY ROM to your phones comes with it a certain risk of failure and potentially long-term inoperative phones. Also, if you decide you want to root, you will be essentially voiding your warranty. Motorola and Verizon now can very easily find out if a phone returned for ANY repair is rooted when they get it, and even if it has been unrooted they can tell if it has been rooted in the past as well.

UPDATE!!! ROOT IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR THE DROID RAZR AND DROID RAZR MAXX ON JELLY BEAN!! See "Extra Credit" at the bottom of this post for the links and credits!!

Also, since this ROM is as some say, "half-baked", missing the circles widget, swipe left to settings, swipe right to manage home screens, swipe left on lock screen for media controls, and perhaps one or a few other small missing pieces, it is fully functional for all main purposes. Phone, mobile data, internet, wifi, and sms all function, it's stable, and smooth as...well, butter!, also there are functioning methods to gain the circles widget, along with left and right swipes on home screen by way of ported RAZR M/HD apps mentioned farther into the thread. I'll post links in this class soon.

Note, this may pull us off the Over The Air (OTA) upgrade path, but I am standing by my belief that Motorola will have to support it since they pushed it out originally by mistake. Also, there will likely be a Fastboot version of whatever they finally land on once the developers are able to get their hands on it, and franky this ROM works so well for me at least, that being "stuck" on it isn't a bad thing. Still, as always proceed at your own risk. There is NO TURNING BACK TO ICE CREAM SANDWICH!!

Thanks to Matt L Groff for the links to the files necessary, and for the ever amazing Droid RAZR Utility and his ongoing and undying support for the RAZR line.

Now, this ROM IS a Motorola/Verizon Signed ROM, so it is written BY Motorola and FOR the Droid RAZR and RAZR MAXX, and was apparently "accidentally" pushed to some lucky owners in the early afternoon of Christmas Eve (December 24 for those who don't celebrate Christmas). Apparently as well, since this was an unintentional push, the powers that be quickly put a stop to it, but not before some bright and fast-thinking person or persons (fortunately for us), managed to save off a copy before installing and losing it forever. This left us with some early holiday goodies, since this was not scheduled for release until sometime in Q1 2013.

Note: Some have reported that the update failed due to not having "Unknown sources" allowed on their phone, so here's what you should do in preparation:
  • From the home screen, select the Menu button.
  • Choose "System settings".
  • Select "Security & Screen lock".
  • Scroll down to "Unknown sources", and check the box.
The steps above will put your phone into a state of slightly higher risk of viruses and other malware since it will allow apps to be installed from sources other than just the Play Store. The good part is that if you only normally download from the Play Store however, you have no risk of leaving this setting checked. If you are concerned about someone installing anything from an unknown source, once you've done the update simply reverse the selection above and all is good in the Android world again!
biggrin.gif

If you are NOT on Ice Cream Sandwich, or are on a version other than .214 or .215, you will NOT want to follow the first part of this process, rolling back to .211, but instead post here with the version you are on and we'll get you up and running.

If you are still on Gingerbread, let us know and we'll get you where you need to be.

If you are already on .211, you will also skip this 1st Class and move to the 3rd Class.

SO here it is;

Steps to side-load the DROID RAZR/MAXX version of Jelly Bean for those of us who followed the MattyP .215 update path, and also for those who are on .214.

Class 1 - ROLLING BACK TO .211:
  1. First, MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE IS AT LEAST 50% CHARGED!! This update process is LONG (it's a huge file), and will tax your battery.
  2. BACK UP EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO KEEP;

To back up the SMS's, try https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ure=nav_result (it's never failed me - make sure to choose the backup storage location to be your SD-EXT external removable SD Card).

To back up your Call Log, try https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=search_result (again, it's never failed me - make sure to choose the backup storage location to be your SD-EXT external removable SD Card).

MOVE ALL PHOTOS, VIDEOS, AND ANY IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO YOUR EXTERNAL SD CARD (just in case).
  3. Next, go to https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ail/a_id/88481 and download and install the proper Motorola drivers for your PC.
  4. Now go to Droid RAZR Utility Version 1.82 and download Matt L Groff's Droid RAZR Utility 1.82. *Link to Matt's PayPal Donation portal (http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=X3TGF8V475U2L)
    1. Note: Drivinfocused mentioned some could be confused regarding whether you also need to download the Fastboot file (Version VRZ_XT912_6.7.2-180), or not. Hopefully this will clear things up. The link above for the Droid RAZR Utility Version 1.82 contains the necessary Fastboot file, so you don't need to download the Fastboot file separately.

There IS a "lite" version of the Utility that doesn't contain the Fastboot file for those of us who already have that file saved. It takes FAR less time to download the Lite version, but without the Fastboot file, it won't perform the restore function, Option number 1 on the list, so in the interests of simplicity and to prevent people from pulling the wrong Fastboot file accidentally, I recommend you download the FULL VERSION from the link above.

5. Extract the .zip file onto your desktop (or in my case it would only work extracted to my C:\ root directory on my PC).
  6. Now to prepare your phone for the process, press the Menu button from the home screen (bottom left button on the phone), then select "System Settings", then scroll down to "Developer options", and check the box for "USB debugging".
  7. OK, so now that we're ready to go...power off the phone by pressing and holding the Power button, then selecting Power off from the menu.
  8. Once the phone is shut down, press and hold ALL THREE BUTTONS at the same time, until you see the "Boot mode selection menu", White text on a Black background. Now release all three buttons.
  9. Next, press the DOWN VOLUME until "AP Fastboot" is highlighted (Black text on a White background)....BUT DON'T press the UP VOLUME unless you are on AP Fastboot. If you pass it, just keep pressing DOWN VOLUME and it will circle back around to the top again.
  10. Once AP Fastboot is highlighted, press the UP VOLUME to select. The phone will revert to the AP Fastboot screen and remain in waiting for the computer to connect and begin the updating.
  11. Now, grab your Motorola Stock USB Power and Programming cable and plug it into the phone and computer and allow the computer to recognize it.
  12. Once the computer reports that "Your new hardware is installed and ready to use" (your device is ready), start the Droid RAZR Utility by going into the folder on your computer's desktop and running the "DroidRAZRUtility.bat" file and follow the screen prompts.
  13. Once you get to the menu screen, choose Option 1 and press enter. At this point, the utility will begin the process of flashing the STOCK .211 Ice Cream Sandwich Fastboot file onto your phone, rolling you back to full stock. The utility will go through quite a number of processes, some may appear to be failing, but don't stress out. This is a process of exploiting a flaw or opening in the phone and some of it is trial and error. Follow the prompts, but be EXTRA CAREFUL and watch for THE END. When the Utility prompts you for the option to WIPE the internal memory, you can do one of two things...
    1. you can simply hit the X at the top right corner of the screen and close the Utility to AVOID WIPING THE INTERNAL MEMORY AND LOSING ALL YOUR INSTALLED APPS AND PERSONAL DATA,
    2. or you can hit any key and do the above - as long as you understand there is NO TURNING BACK, this will overwrite or erase all user-installed apps and data permanently, leaving you with essentially a completely stock phone!
  14. Once you've done either of the two options above, the phone may reboot again, or you may need to reboot yourself (recommended). You will then power the phone back on and it will "Update Apps", and eventually boot into stock .211.
Class 2 - If you want root, the older process of protecting root prior to the upgrade is no longer necessary. So as a result, Class 2 has been removed from the curriculum. Instead, see "Extra Credit" after Class 3!!

Class 3 - Now, IT'S TIME TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL JELLY BEAN!!

Install the update via external storage by booting into Motorola Recovery manually.
  1. MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE IS AT LEAST 50% CHARGED!!
  2. Download the necessary file from the following link(s) complements of Matt L Groff:

Downloads (Mirrors) of the update:

1. Crackflasher
    2. DevHost (2)
    3. DevHost (1)

3. Copy the file to your SD-EXT (Removable SD Card root).
  4. The update file name should be "Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US" (WITHOUT quotation marks) - Thanks for the clarification, MattyP!
    biggrin.gif
  5. Everyone should make sure this is the ONLY copy on your SD-EXT (Removable SD Card), that has that name above, and I recommend that you delete ALL OTHER older versions from the SD Card to prevent choosing the wrong one. - Thanks, YellowJacket for that mention!
    biggrin.gif
  6. Go to , and check the box for "USB debugging" (should be checked to activate).
  7. Power off the phone by pressing and holding the Power button, then selecting Power off from the menu.
  8. Now press and hold ALL THREE BUTTONS until you see the "Boot mode selection menu".
  9. Next, press the DOWN VOLUME until "Recovery" is highlighted....BUT DON'T press the UP VOLUME unless you are on Recovery. If you pass it, just keep pressing DOWN VOLUME and it will circle back to the top.
  10. Once Recovery is highlighted, press the UP VOLUME.
  11. Now the phone will display the Red M logo, then go black for a moment, and eventually you'll see the Android on his back with its belly open, Red triangle with Black exclamation point (the Triage screen),
  12. Press BOTH VOLUME BUTTONS ONCE, then release.
    You should be in Recovery (Blue text on Black).
  13. Once in Recovery, press VOLUME DOWN or VOLUME UP to highlight "wipe cache partition".
  14. Press the POWER BUTTON to select.
  15. Once completed, press VOLUME DOWN or VOLUME UP to highlight "apply update from external storage"
    (MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT ON "wipe data/factory restore" or you will be heading down the road to complete erasing of the phone).
  16. Press the POWER BUTTON to select.
  17. Now it will show you a view of your SD-EXT card's directory. Using the VOLUME buttons, scroll to highlight the file you stored on the card, titled "Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip ".
  18. Press the POWER BUTTON to select and it will begin the installation process.
  19. Once done, it will prompt you to reboot or reboot on its own.

Now you will see the phone Updating Apps and eventually it will boot to the Jelly Bean unlock page.
YOU HAVE ARRIVED. Please return your seats to their upright position, secure the food trays to the seat in front of you, collect your carry-on baggage from the overhead compartments, and proceed to the marked exit at the front of the craft. You can retrieve all checked-in baggage at the carousel in the concourse. We hope you've enjoyed your flight and we hope you'll enjoy your vacation in Jelly Bean Land!!

Well, when you have GREAT STAFF working with you, as a TRUE TEAM, the seemingly impossible can be accomplished. CJM took this to the next level by searching with Google, and through his efforts I was able to find a cached version of the first 7 posts, with the updated instructions above! Way to go CJM!! :hail:

EDIT:

Folks, thanks to the amazing efforts of Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss), perhaps soon to be better known as "Root Man", we NOW HAVE ROOT for the Jelly Bean Leak!!

The instructions are all incorporated into the utility he's crafted. There's only three things I feel that need to be mentioned, so I'll do it here.
  • First, once the utility reaches the "Cleaning up..." after Phase 4 - near the end, LOOK AT YOUR PHONE, press the Power button and don't be surprised if you find SuperSU asking you to Grant Root Access to ADB Shell. This was not in the directions but it's a crucial part of the process. Otherwise, you're likely to think the root exploit failed, when nothing could be farther from the truth.
  • Second, if you already have Smart Actions running and have set up the Battery Saver action that is being used to exploit the phone's security, it will still work - or at least it did on my phone. What I did was open Smart Actions, open the Battery Saver action, then simply close it, hit Home and proceed as if I had completed the steps mentioned in the exploit.
  • Third, even if while reporting progress it says "0 bytes" in the dialogue (see below), leading you to believe (as it did I), that the data wasn't being written and that the root exploit had failed, on at least MY phone it DID write the data and ROOT was SUCCESSFUL!
1916 KB/s (0 bytes in91992.000s)
2431 KB/s (0 bytes in1867568.000s)
2392 KB/s (0 bytes in574184.000s)
1994 KB/s (0 bytes in63838.000s)

So, go forth and conquer the ROOT for those of us who were unsuccessful in maintaining root, and also for those of us who only decided after the upgrade to delve into the rooted phone arena. either way, it's here for you in all it's Glory. The download link is below, and the credit for the whole thing goes to Dan (@djrbliss).

*******************************************************************************************
Extra Credit! Get or recover ROOT on your newly Jelly Bean'd XT-912 Droid RAZR or Droid RAZR MAXX!!

The entire utility to root XT-912 on the Leaked Jelly Bean is here (http://vulnfactory.org/public/razr_blade.zip).​
  • Put your phone into USB Debugging​
  • Plug the phone into the stock USB cable and then into the Windows PC (Sorry, no Apple yet)​
  • Make sure that USB is in the Media Device mode​
  • Unzip the tool to a convenient location (I chose my c:\ drive on my PC.)​
  • Run the "run.bat" file.​
  • WATCH AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS​
  • Enjoy ROOT!​
Dan Rosenberg's PayPal link (http://goo.gl/zBGb0)

Finally, it's not a bad idea to consider helping support both Matt L Groff (Batman), and Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss), by donating something...anything to them. I did, though it was a small price to pay, to them it doesn't even begin to compensate them for their time and devotion to us in the Android world and specifically us Moto Fanboys and Girls! Links to them are now below their respective utilities in my post above.

Thanks all.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
That explains it's mysterious disappearance from my bookmarks! I had been following it and was teetering on the verge of installing the update......
Thanks for the status update. Looking forward to getting this "class" back

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
re: FoxKat's Razr/Maxx Jelly Bean Leak Classroom W/MattyP & Friends

That explains it's mysterious disappearance from my bookmarks! I had been following it and was teetering on the verge of installing the update......
Thanks for the status update. Looking forward to getting this "class" back

Thanks, Bruben7886. Believe me, I am sick about this, mainly because there were so many participants and their input was (at least for the interim) lost. I do have gmail notifications of posts, so I may be able to re-create much of it, but it won't obviously be in thread format since I can't post on behalf of others.

I believe I have a text-only copy of what the OP was and will check when I get home. Right now I am in a hospital waiting room while my wife undergoes a basic procedure. I don't know if I'll have time to pull it off and post until later this afternoon or early evening, but I'll get to it.

I am still holding out hope that the actual thread is recoverable but I am fast losing that hope. We'll see or we'll rise above it!

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD

1BadAction

Reaction score
I just looked back through my emails from the last few days to see if someone quoted your original post in a reply since I had posted in that thread, but no dice.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I just looked back through my emails from the last few days to see if someone quoted your original post in a reply since I had posted in that thread, but no dice.

Thanks for that, but it's no surprise it wasn't quoted given its size. I have just posted a draft from a text file I had stored along the way while composing, so it's mostly there again. I just have to clean up, repost links, clarify and add warnings, etc. Again as said above, the OP is a ROUGH DRAFT until I post otherwise.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Bruben7886. Believe me, I am sick about this, mainly because there were so many participants and their input was (at least for the interim) lost. I do have gmail notifications of posts, so I may be able to re-create much of it, but it won't obviously be in thread format since I can't post on behalf of others.

I believe I have a text-only copy of what the OP was and will check when I get home. Right now I am in a hospital waiting room while my wife undergoes a basic procedure. I don't know if I'll have time to pull it off and post until later this afternoon or early evening, but I'll get to it.

I am still holding out hope that the actual thread is recoverable but I am fast losing that hope. We'll see or we'll rise above it!

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD

Wishing you and the wife the best. Forget us for 1 day.....I can almost guarantee that none of our batteries will spontaneously combust in your absence :)

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Folks!! Look up top! CJM was the HERO and helped me find a Google cached copy of page 1 as it appeared TODAY, right before the thread suddenly disappeared. I've used this to recreate the Original Post! Also through his efforts, I've recovered pages 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 27, 28, & 29!!

I don't know how I am going to compile the other posts and pages into this thread, but I'm working on it! Now that I know Google has cached pages, I am also going to look for other pages in hopes they have been spider'd and cached as well.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Folks!! Look up top! CJM was the HERO and helped me find a Google cached copy of page 1 as it appeared TODAY, right before the thread suddenly disappeared. I've used this to recreate the Original Post! Also through his efforts, I've recovered pages 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 27, 28, & 29!!

I don't know how I am going to compile the other posts and pages into this thread, but I'm working on it! Now that I know Google has cached pages, I am also going to look for other pages in hopes they have been spider'd and cached as well.

Whew!! dancedroid

David

redrat302

Reaction score
Jelly Bean Root

I'm trying to roll back to .211. I originally had ICS stock version and followed your awesome steps to upgrade to Jelly Bean with root. It worked great untill I tried to install a program to backup the entire Phone and bricked my phone. After messing around for a while I finally got it back up with matt l groff's jelly bean rom Blur_version.6.16.211.xt912.verizon.en.us. Now I have jelly bean and according to your post I shouldnt use your utility if i do not have ICS. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a Droid Razr Maxx with system version 98.72.8.xt912.verizon.en.es - android version 4.1.2 - hopefully that's enough information.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You are on Jelly Bean and there is NO turning back, so whatever you do, DON'T flash ICS over top of Jelly Bean. I don't know what it is that you are asking for, though? Could you clarify?

redrat302

Reaction score
Droid Razr Jelly Bean Root

Sorry for the confusion. Ultimately, I'm trying to root my phone in it's current state. Is that possible?

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Rooting if already on Jelly Bean is as of yet, not possible...but give it time. This is why Class 2 is in the instructions, to Root BEFORE upgrading. If you missed it, you'll have to wait with the rest of us (me included...):frown:

avenged61973

Reaction score
I know someone on here was having problems taking apps out of the app drawer and placing them on their home screen. Well somehow I acquired the same problem and after trouble shooting this all day I think I figured it out. If you turn animations to off in developers options you might have this problem. I always turn mine to off when I first get my phone or update to a new system. I turned them back on and did a reboot and the problem magically went away! So a heads up to everyone leave the animations set to 1x in developers options and you won't get a crazy bug on the razr me launcher. This is my first post on here hope it helps! Everyone on here has helped me a time or two! Thanks.