MattyP's .215 Leak Classroom

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE FIRST POST BEFORE PROCEEDING!!!

DISCLAIMER: NEITHER MYSELF NOR DROID FORUMS WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY BRICKED PHONES OR SCREW-UPS!!!

YOU MUST BE STOCK .211 TO UPGRADE!!! NO ROOT AND NO CUSTOM ROM!!!

This thread is for MattyP's .215 Leak Classroom. This is for all things related to the .215 Leak, and how to install it on your Droid Razr or Razr Maxx. The .215 Leak has fixes and upgrades to the Android Operating System, especially concerns with battery life. This leak has greatly improved battery life, and LTE Connectivity problems, and a few other fixes.

MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERY LEVEL IS NOT LOW BEFORE STARTING THESE COURSES, AT LEAST 70% BATTERY LEFT OR HIGHER!!!

Course Requirements:

1) Possess a Droid Razr or Razr Maxx

2) Possess the ability to follow simple instructions
3) The ladies are encouraged to flirt with the teacher for extra credit (see my sig) :icon_ devil:

YOUR PHONE MUST BE ON VERSION 6.16.211 (Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4)

To check your version go to Menu Button > System Settings > About Phone

YOUR PHONE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE ROOTED FOR THIS, BUT IF YOUR PHONE IS ROOTED, YOU WILL HAVE TO UNROOT TO INSTALL THIS LEAK (Instructions provided)

IF YOUR PHONE IS ON GINGERBREAD YOU CANNOT INSTALL THE .215 LEAK UNTIL YOU UPGRADE TO ICS 4.0.4

IF YOUR PHONE IS ON THE .214 LEAK YOU CANNOT INSTALL THE .215 LEAK UNTIL YOU GO BACK TO .211 (Downgrade Package is available)

IT IS TOTALLY YOUR CHOICE WHETHER OR NOT TO DO A FACTORY DATA RESET/CACHE WIPE BEFORE OR AFTER INSTALLING .215 ... IT'S ALWAYS GOOD TO START WITH A CLEAN SLATE ... BUT IT IS NOT REQUIRED, IT IS 100% OPTIONAL, YOUR CHOICE!! (I DID TWO AFTER INSTALLING, BUT THAT'S JUST ME, YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY)

Make sure USB debugging mode is checked under settings > Developer options and to make sure Unknown sources is checked under settings > Security.

Course #1 instructions:

Requirements: Razr or Razr Maxx running version 6.16.211 and NOT rooted (Stock ICS) **ROOT USERS SEE COURSE #3**

1) Download this file, and place it on the SD Card of your phone.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16066634/Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip

Place the file on the SD Card itself, NOT in a folder, and DO NOT extract the .zip file if you download it to your PC, you will have to transfer it to your SD Card with your USB cable but it HAS to be on the SD Card. If you download the file directly to your phone, you will need to move it from your "Download" folder using the "My Files" app. If you do not put it on the SD Card this whole process will not work.

2) When the file is on the SD Card, power off your phone completely. You are now going to boot into recovery.

3) Power button, and both volume buttons ... Press and hold all 3 buttons at the same time until a menu appears. Use the volume down button to move down to "recovery" and the press the volume up button to boot into recovery. The little green Android guy will appear, laying on his back with a red triangle. (No he's not dead)

4) When the little guy appears, push BOTH volume buttons at the same time to go to the next screen.

5) Use the volume down button to select "Apply update from external storage" and push the power button to go to the next screen.

6) Use the volume down button to scroll down to the .zip file (Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip) and press the power button to begin the install.

The process will take a few minutes to complete, and along the way you will see "Upgrading Android" do not do anything or push any buttons until it's done and your phone has rebooted. Then after rebooting, go into Menu Button > System Settings > About Phone and make sure your version is .215 now. That's it, you are done!! :)

Course #2 instructions:

IF YOU ARE RUNNING THE .214 LEAK THIS WILL BE A TWO STEP PROCESS, AFTER DOWNGRADING TO .211 YOU WILL HAVE TO COMPLETE COURSE #1 TO GO TO THE .215 LEAK

Requirements: Razr or Razr Maxx running the .214 Leak and NOT ROOTED
**ROOT USERS SEE COURSE #3**

1) Download this file, and place it on the SD Card of your phone.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16066634/Blur_Version.6.16.214.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip

Place the file on the SD Card itself, NOT in a folder, and DO NOT extract the .zip file if you download it to your PC, you will have to transfer it to your SD Card with your USB cable but it HAS to be on the SD Card. If you download the file directly to your phone, you will need to move it from your "Download" folder using the "My Files" app. If you do not put it on the SD Card this whole process will not work.

2) When the file is on the SD Card, power off your phone completely. You are now going to boot into recovery.

3) Power button, and both volume buttons ... Press and hold all 3 buttons at the same time until a menu appears. Use the volume down button to move down to "recovery" and the press the volume up button to boot into recovery. The little green Android guy will appear, laying on his back with a red triangle. (No he's not dead)

4) When the little guy appears, push BOTH volume buttons at the same time to go to the next screen.

5) Use the volume down button to select "Apply update from external storage" and push the power button to go to the next screen.

6) Use the volume down button to scroll down to the .zip file (Blur_Version.6.16.214.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip) and press the power button to begin the install.

The process will take a few minutes to complete, and along the way you will see "Upgrading Android" do not do anything or push any buttons until it's done and your phone has rebooted. Then after rebooting, go into Menu Button > System Settings > About Phone and make sure your version is .211 now. After confirming that you are on .211 you will now need to complete course #1 above to upgrade to the .215 leak.

Course #3 Instructions:

THIS COURSE IS FOR USERS WHO HAVE ROOTED PHONES ONLY!!!

YOU CANNOT UPGRADE TO .215 IF YOU ARE RUNNING A CUSTOM ROM!!! YOU WILL GET A STATUS 7 ERROR!!! MUST BE STOCK .211!!!

YOU CAN USE MATT'S UTILITY VERSION 1.8 TO RETURN TO COMPLETE STOCK .211

Requirements: Razr or Razr Maxx running version 6.16.211 or the .214 Leak and Rooted AND NO CUSTOM ROM!!!

1) If your phone is rooted, BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE, download "VooDoo Root Keeper" from the Play Store (It's FREE)

2) After installing Root Keeper, open the app, and tap "Protect Root" (Make sure all of the little boxes) are checked.

3) Close the app and reboot your phone just to be sure.

4) After rebooting, open the app, and tap "Temp Unroot" to unroot your phone. This will make restoring root easy after the upgrade.

If you are now unrooted and running 6.16.211, complete course #1 above.

If you are now unrooted and running the .214 Leak, complete course #2 above, and THEN complete course #1. (.214 LEAK USERS MUST COMPLETE COURSE #2 FIRST!!!)

After you have upgraded, then open the Voodoo Root Keeper app and tap "Restore Root", and reboot your phone. That's it, you are done!! :)

NOTES: If after reading this entire post, you are still unsure, I will be more than happy to walk you through the process step by step. You will need to be on a PC so that you can work on the phone separately as I give you the instructions. But remember, I cannot be on the forum 24/7 so if I am not around, please be patient. There are others here who can help with this process or answer questions if I am not around.

Thanks for attending MattyP's .215 Leak Class
:p

Last edited:
OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Battery Training information courtesy of "FoxKat", our resident battery guru:

Meter calibration for Droid RAZR & RAZR MAXX;
  1. Power off the phone (press and hold the Power button, then select "Power off" from the pop-up menu).
  2. Plug the Stock Motorola charger into the wall outlet, then plug the Stock Motorola USB Charging cable into the Motorola charger, and finally plug the other end of the cable into the phone.
  3. The phone will boot itself into the "Charge Only" mode. This is identified by first the large Red M logo, followed by a large Battery icon with a "floating" level and percentage of charge in numbers.
  4. After 10 seconds or so, the display will shut off, but the charging continues.
  5. Allow the charger to continue uninterrupted for 3 hours minimum (Droid RAZR), or 5.5 hours minimum (Droid RAZR MAXX). It's OK to allow it to charge overnight in this mode. The charger will shut itself off when the maximum charge has been reached so there is no fear of "overcharging" or damaging the battery/phone.
  6. Once charged to 100%, you may remove the phone from the charger. To check the charge level at any time during charge, briefly tap either volume up or down and release. In about 3 seconds the display will wake and show the charge level, then after 10 seconds or so will shut down again.
  7. After the initial charge to 100% with power off, power up the phone and use normally but pay attention to the battery as it nears the "Low battery" warning (Gingerbread shows at 15%, ICS shows at 10%).
  8. Once the phone displays the "Low battery" warning at 15% (10% ICS), repeat steps 1 through 7.
Now you may use your phone normally. Repeat the above procedure about every 2 months for the Droid RAZR and every 2-3 months for the RAZR MAXX (more often if you are a heavy user, less often for light use).

Last edited by a moderator:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wow Matty, this is supreme!!! Wow! 100+ likes if I could give that many! I think you should be our next moderator (although that could put restrictions on your flirting... jstafford1 would be able to advise on that).

Anyway, this is excellent!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Question?

Should I place the .215 zip download on my sd card or my ext-sd card... or does it not matter which?

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wow Matty, this is supreme!!! Wow! 100+ likes if I could give that many! I think you should be our next moderator (although that could put restrictions on your flirting... jstafford1 would be able to advise on that).

Anyway, this is excellent!

Hiya Tis!
I don't wanna be a mod whether I get flirted with or not LOL :icon_ devil:

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Question?

Should I place the .215 zip download on my sd card or my ext-sd card... or does it not matter which?

It has to go on your SD Card -EXT ... the removable one, or it won't be found in the list when you boot into recovery. :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It has to go on your SD Card -EXT ... the removable one, or it won't be found in the list when you boot into recovery. :)

ROFLOL, that SIG!! It suits you well! :biggrin:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Stickied for ya~~!

I've wanted to make a Battery Training thread for a long time, but I've been so busy with other things and with the forum helping people that I've just not devoted the time necessary. I may pull this portion and make it its own stickie. I'll leave it here as well for a one-stop-shop, but I think it needs its own home.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks, I have almost everything set to go to update to .215... just have to wait till my phone charges a bit more. I am only at 27%.

Then I think I am even going to jump the gun and root this thing! I have already downloaded onto my pc the DroidRazrUtility1.81. Is there anything else I will need to download to root?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks, I have almost everything set to go to update to .215... just have to wait till my phone charges a bit more. I am only at 27%.

Then I think I am even going to jump the gun and root this thing! I have already downloaded onto my pc the DroidRazrUtility1.81. Is there anything else I will need to download to root?

Make sure you've updated the Motorola Drivers also on the same page.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Stickied for ya~~!

I've wanted to make a Battery Training thread for a long time, but I've been so busy with other things and with the forum helping people that I've just not devoted the time necessary. I may pull this portion and make it its own stickie. I'll leave it here as well for a one-stop-shop, but I think it needs its own home.

Thanks oh wise one ... :hail:

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

The latest Motorola Drivers are in the folder for the 1.81 Utility :)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
FoxKat said:

Eegad, which page. I download 1.81 from DroidRzr started by Mattlgroff.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Okay next question?

I think I know the answer but can I root after I update to .215 or should I root before?